Commuting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MS

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 5 2009, 3:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Commuting? Reply with quote

Hi,
My wife and our three kids will soon be moving to Cranbury.

My question is does anyone have more info on commuting to NYC?
We are planning to take the bus into Port Auth.
Does anyone have detailed info on the parking at the Park and Ride and what the morning commute is actually like and what the door to door time is?
Thanks in advance,
Matt Scott

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 5 2009, 4:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

My husband and I moved to Cranbury from N. Jersey about 5 months ago and my commute is much easier from Cranbury than it was when I was only 15 miles outside the city.

I usually give myself about 15-20 minutes for the drive from my house to the Park & Ride even though the ride is closer to 7-10 minutes. Sometimes traffic on Rt. 130 can back up a bit. There is plenty of parking at the Park & Ride and it costs $2 a day -- they do not sell monthly parking passes. Buses run about every 10 minutes or so, so it's also not too big a deal if you miss one and have to wait for the next. I usually take the 8 a.m. bus and arrive at the Port Authority by 9 a.m. I am always at my office (which requires an additional subway ride) by 9:20 a.m. It;s really a pretty easy and comfortable commute.

Good luck, and welcome to the town!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 5 2009, 5:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

How much is the bus? How often are the return trips and are they also just 1 hour door-to-door?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 5 2009, 5:41 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

How does the bus avoid the hit-and-miss traffic backup at the tunnels? I commute by car occasionally around the same time (8am) and 2/3rds of the time the commute is fine. They other 1/3rd I get stuck in horrendous traffic approaching the tunnels. I have had as long as a 1 hour approach just to get into the tunnel, making the total commute 2 hours on occasion. When I do, it seems like the buses are stuck just like I am.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 5 2009, 6:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

Thank goodness I don't work in the City ! I give you commuters a lot of credit for doing that trip in traffic Mon.-Friday !

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 6 2009, 8:31 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

Guest #1?

Thanks for that helpful reply!

We are both a little scared about our new commute, but looking foward to our new "country" life ( at least compared to Essex county)!

MS

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 7 2009, 1:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Commuting? Reply with quote

The train from Princeton Junction is an option as well. Express trains run to and from Penn Station in under an hour.

Daily parking is available for $4 per day. Not sure what time you plan on leaving but the daily lots fill up early. 630am your fine, 7am could be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1