Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 9:53 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

I am not opposed to Fireworks, Memorial Day etc..I enjoy all of these things. I simply pointing out that these are clearly wants and not needs. I pay plenty of taxes also. I am willing to pay even for these "wants" I just want to ensure that it is understood that in the future as more pressure is put on the township (2.5 cap) if we want to keep having these great events it should never be at the sacrifice of "needs" such as personell and equipment needed to maintain our police department, plow our roads, etc...

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 11:32 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I am not opposed to Fireworks, Memorial Day etc..I enjoy all of these things. I simply pointing out that these are clearly wants and not needs. I pay plenty of taxes also. I am willing to pay even for these "wants" I just want to ensure that it is understood that in the future as more pressure is put on the township (2.5 cap) if we want to keep having these great events it should never be at the sacrifice of "needs" such as personell and equipment needed to maintain our police department, plow our roads, etc...

It's 2.0 percent (as currently proposed, but not yet law). It also includes a bunch of categories outright (including pensions and debt payments, some of our largest and fastest growning categories) and can be exceeded by a Township vote. So if it really works out that these tiny expenses make-or-break or cap, the tax paying population will be able to decide for itelf if its worth it.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 11:58 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

I watched them from across route 130 and had a perfect view and did not have to fight all the traffic.

Just got back, fighting all that traffic was insane.

Fireworks were great as usual.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 7 2010, 12:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Even before we consider cutting the fireworks or parade, how about we ask Trenton why they can cap us at 2% and not cut their mandates. That is real reform. But, then they'd have to take away from their donors who benefit from forced spending. The unfunded mandates which are a big cost in our property tax dollars are beyond town control. Trenton should remove these mandates which in many cases are simply forced spending and gifts to the firms we have to employ to meet the obligations. We should also be asking how Trenton can keep money due to Cranbury like the Energy Tax receipts or why we send out so much money and get nothing back. Until then the 2% is just PR from Trenton.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 10:21 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Quote:
Add me to your list of people who pay more than average taxes (3X the township average) who is for spending a little on the fireworks, parade and Cranbury Day. I am all for being fiscally responsible and didn't support buying the bank building or the ballpark. But this is extremist.

Do you support paying thousands even million plus for open space?

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 10:41 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Buying up farmland increases our taxes.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 10:47 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Buying up farmland increases our taxes.

Not buying up farmland and letting it be developed increases our taxes even more.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 11:19 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Buying up farmland increases our taxes in the short term. Once the debt is paid it is clear. However, a home on the site continues to cost in services and schools. A business creates infastructure and affordable housing obligations and as we have seen in down markets the appeals occur lessening their values.

I am for open space whenever it is logical to acquire it.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 4:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Quote:
Add me to your list of people who pay more than average taxes (3X the township average) who is for spending a little on the fireworks, parade and Cranbury Day. I am all for being fiscally responsible and didn't support buying the bank building or the ballpark. But this is extremist.

Since I was the poster you were quoting, I'll reply too but I agree with the subsequent commenter. I am not for using public money to buy up open space just for the heck of it. But I am for limiting an controlling development and expansion of the Township. When buying open space and permanently preserving it decreases the amount of developable space, which leads to less need to spend millions to expand our schools and services, then it is fiscally responsible and makes sense. Each case needs to be considered individually.
busyone

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 4:31 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

My goodness, we've gone from "THE BEST VANTAGE POINT TO SEE THE FIREWORKS" to the benefits of buying or not buying open space. How's that for drifting from a topic? You just gotta love this board. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 8 2010, 11:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Since I was the poster you were quoting, I'll reply too but I agree with the subsequent commenter. I am not for using public money to buy up open space just for the heck of it. But I am for limiting an controlling development and expansion of the Township. When buying open space and permanently preserving it decreases the amount of developable space, which leads to less need to spend millions to expand our schools and services, then it is fiscally responsible and makes sense. Each case needs to be considered individually.

It sounds like you think there have been some poor choices regarding open space preservation. Can you cite some examples?

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 9 2010, 12:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

The last farm/open space that was purchased probably would have never been developed as most of it was wetlands. I don't think that was a smart buy.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 9 2010, 12:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

It sounds like you think there have been some poor choices regarding open space preservation. Can you cite some examples?

I wasn't trying to imply that. I don't feel qualified to judge whether our previous purchases made sense. I was stating the principle, which is that it sometimes does make sense to spend money to protect open space to save money (and well as lifestyle) later by avoiding over-development. This is especially true here in New Jersey where most politicians are for sale and developers practically own the state.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 9 2010, 11:06 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

That's the view I got from Village Park

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs281.ash1/20861_1422436694803_1649284947_1057467_4733928_n.jpg

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 9 2010, 11:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
That's the view I got from Village Park

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs281.ash1/20861_1422436694803_1649284947_1057467_4733928_n.jpg

Wait why would you post a firework pic under this thread, it has evolved into an open space discussion. Maybe you should post it under "Old Trenton road" LOL

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 10 2010, 7:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Vantage points other than Village Park for fireworks? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply that. I don't feel qualified to judge whether our previous purchases made sense. I was stating the principle, which is that it sometimes does make sense to spend money to protect open space to save money (and well as lifestyle) later by avoiding over-development. This is especially true here in New Jersey where most politicians are for sale and developers practically own the state.

My mistake. I must have read too much into your comment. Thanks for clarifying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4