East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation......
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 10 2011, 10:10 am EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Just to chime in here as another poster.

First, I have a liberal arts degree, but do nothing with it. My field is actually in banking.

Second, in today's world I would encourage kids to learn a second language. The world is a lot smaller and there will be huge markets in China for our kids and grand kids. I don't understand why Cranbury still does French when I would be pushing Mandarin. Even my french colleagues prefer to speak and practice English in business settings and I have a fair capability in French that is never used.

Third, the like for sciences or languages to me is a personal one. I was horrible and hated science and math. My sister loved both. So while I was taught them I do most of my work in excel now and never have to look at a periodic table or look at the physics work I had to do in Physics in college.

Now, that said I see all of this as important at the K-HS levels as it encourages thinking. None is more important than another unless a child shows a particular interest.

Gee, being reasonable takes all the fun out of this board.
SarcasticLiberal

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 10 2011, 1:09 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Everyone knows if there is one thing conservatives are great at it is science! From their denial of global warming to their belief in "intelligent design" conservatives have an unparalleled appreciation for all things science related.

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 11 2011, 3:04 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

To the screaming/sarcastic liberal,
I will stick up for the previous conservative poster, he's merely trying to show that our once great HS is becoming more concerned with foreign languages than the math and sciences that have made us a great nation. My interpretation of the statement, that the languages are more for cultural purposes is correct from my view point. As one of the previous posters said:
Quote:
I don't understand why Cranbury still does French when I would be pushing Mandarin. Even my french colleagues prefer to speak and practice English in business settings and I have a fair capability in French that is never used.
I agree with this poster completely. I travel all over Europe twice a year for business, and I never have a hard time communicating with anyone, and I only speak English, nothing more! In today's day and age, anyone who wants to, or needs to learn a second language can do it anywhere at the multitude of schools offering such courses. My children are already learning Chinese, but not in school, they go to an instructor that offers such courses. The reality is math and science are the key to the future of our children and grandchildren. Anyone who denies that, well I wish them the best.

Quote:
Everyone knows if there is one thing conservatives are great at it is science! From their denial of global warming to their belief in "intelligent design" conservatives have an unparalleled appreciation for all things science related.

Here's just one link, for the libs on this board who believe in the ends justify the means in order to push their agenda:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6679082/Climate-change-this-is-the-worst-scientific-scandal-of-our-generation.html
Quote:

The other strange part about your argument is that Foreign Languages are not stealing enrollment from the sciences, finance has.

Again I will stick up for the previous conservative poster. The impression I had when I read the post was not to insinuate that Foreign Languages are stealing enrollment from the sciences, it's showing that the choices presented to our children in our HS are becoming much more narrow, and based on cultural preferences pushed by the schools administration than by what should be considered the foundation of our children's academics, math and science. Even our far left leader (we all know who that is) has been running ads showing how far behind our children are in math and science. I know all the libs here have seen the ads, do you all agree? I most certainly do.

Quote:
Back to the political part of your diatribe. I have only known on linguist. He died about 10 years ago. He was fluent in six languages and worked for the state department. A lovely man. He was the most conservative guy I knew.

For someone making the above comment is unbelievable. Why can't a conservative or a lib go into foreign languages??? The previous conservative poster never said that. Again the point they were making is not to limit our children's choices by merely guiding them into a foreign language program at the neglect of math and science! Only a lib would spin that simple statement. [/quote]

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 11 2011, 3:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

The problem with the conservative posters on this board is that they never let facts get in the way of their vivid fantasy life. The complaint is that the newly liberal PHS is guiding students out of math and science and into foreign languages.

First of all Princeton the town, high school and University, have been liberal at least since the 50s and 60s maybe longer, I wasn't here then. Second, I know of now evidence that they our encouraging students to take foreign language at the expense of math and Science. In fact everything I have seen indicates that they are encouraging as much math and science as possible. Many students gravitate toward math and science because they hit the AP courses quicker than foreign language.

But please, don't let little facts get in your way.
SarcasticLiberal

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 11 2011, 7:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

Here's just one link, for the libs on this board who believe in the ends justify the means in order to push their agenda:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6679082/Climate-change-this-is-the-worst-scientific-scandal-of-our-generation.html

For any one article or scientist who believes man plays no part in global warming there are at least 10 who will disagree. Anyone can post a link supporting their view point, and more importantly any amount of evidence will not change some people's minds. I didn't really want to turn this in to a global warming argument, but the statement that PHS is falling behind in science because of liberals is absurd. If scientific curriculum were left in the hands of conservatives our children would be learning about men and dinosaurs walking side by side on a flat Earth.

This is in on way a defense of PHS either. I am personally not a fan of the school, and this is speaking as a former student and parent of a child currently in Cranbury School. I also agree that math and science should come before a foreign language. I just find it absurd to place the blame on the "Princeton liberals" for the downfall of the educational system in our great nation.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 12 2011, 9:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Ooh, totally! Damn Liberals and their uppity, high-falutin' foreign language learnin'! Education should be left in the hands of the party that favors banning books, pushing creationism as a valid scientific theory and editing history textbooks to completely re-invent the Civil War. Yeah, you're right. It's the Liberals who are fully responsible for the dumbing down of America.

Come on, dude. I don't believe for a minute that party politics have to dictate academic strengths or weaknesses, but seriously. If you want to have that conversation, you have to at least acknowledge that conservatives are responsible for more than their fair share of idiotic ideas when it comes to what our children are learning. Or not learning, as the case may be.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 19 2011, 1:50 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Princeton is well ranked but personally I am not that impressed. A lot of the "now twenty somethings" who went to Princeton are still fighting the demons that they picked up while in Princeton High School. There is definitily a drug problem at Princeton High School. Sadly many of the "mediocre" Cranbury students seem to get mixed up with this. For some it is a phase. For others they are in their twenties and still struggling. I am sure it is the same anywhere but sometimes I think people from Cranbury are so transfixed by the name "Princeton" that they are blind.

As a parent with a student at Princeton High I will gladly take it over any of the other public school options and private schools such as Peddie or Notre Dame. The only local private school I would choose over Princeton is Lawrenceville Prep. That's my view and that as one whose mother was a former educator in the area.

I wasn't dissing Princeton just stating facts. My kids will go to there. But if you look at the list of universities graduating seniors will attend on any given year and compare it to a school like Peddie the percentage of kids going to top ranked colleges is much higher with Peddie and the like than Princeton. Princeton does fine and gets akids into Ivy Leagues every year, including a bunch to Princeton though that is partially do to legacy and parents with connections to the school. But after the very top students are accounted for, the privates do much better. This is of course self-selecting since the privates disproportionately get strong students.

I slightly disagree with you. I think the way to look at how well Princeton High does in comparison to private schools is not to compare which college the average graduate of each school goes to, but to compare which schools Cranbury kids go to.

In my obsservation it is surprising how comparable 8th graders from Cranbury School end up in comparable colleges regardless of where they go to High School.

If I look at the top Cranbury kids over the last 4 years or so, they seem to go to comparable schools. If I look at this years high school seniors, while I certainly don't know all of them the 15 or so that I know well are with a few exceptions going to really fine schools and truthfully I don't see a private school effect.

One thing that I have not noticed in Cranbury, but am aware of is that there is a substution among some between elite private colleges and top public universities with honors programs. Most top Public universities are offering honors programs or combined 5 year masters programs in an attempt to lure better students from private univesities.

One bias in this exercize is that we do not know which schools kids are being accepted, we only know where the enroll. The honors program I would guess is taking more top students from public high schools than private high schools. The public university honors programs run about $20,000 a year as compared to a $50,000 private university. If you are alreay paying $35,000 a year for high school the jump to 50k is not so great.

I am not really disagreeing with anyone, I just think this is a tough problem to solve without a lot of data we don't have access to.
publius

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 20 2011, 9:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Why, back in my day............harumph.....................we learned Greek, penmanship and deportment-and we were darned lucky to learn it too!

Schools are only as good as the parents who pay the bills!
If you want better schools, you have to push for change.
Schools won't change on their own accord.
lisali-4728

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 15 2017, 11:49 am EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

This is funny because East windsor and Hightstown have actually consolidated.
anon-01s7

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Some history. Cranbury sent kids to Hightstown High School for a centrist. In the late 1970's early 1980's East Windsor(who also always sent their kids to Hightstown High school) regionalized with Hightstown to "East Windsor- Hightstown Regional School District". They wanted Cranbury to regionalize with them - which Cranbury refused to do. At that point they stopped allowing us to send students to Hightstown High. We switched to Lawrence High School for approximately 10 years. Then in the early 1990's we switched to Princeton.
anon-p9qr

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 19 2017, 7:15 am EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

Quote:

I had no idea.

I am glad we have people like you that lead us to the truth in their peculiar scientific ways. Digging up a 8 year old newspaper articles really convinced me that it's all a hoax (but then again I thought "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."). The telegraph article was written by Christopher Booker, a regular columnist of the paper, who also wanted to sell his book at that time. A man with no formal scientific education. A man who was a jazz and movie critic, and who started his rants against the British government in the 90's, and then shifted his focus in the mid-2000's.

Yup, you convinced me with your link. Thanks for the Monday morning read and laugh.
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 26 2017, 5:53 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: East windsor and Cranbury school consolidation...... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Ooh, totally! Damn Liberals and their uppity, high-falutin' foreign language learnin'! Education should be left in the hands of the party that favors banning books, pushing creationism as a valid scientific theory and editing history textbooks to completely re-invent the Civil War. Yeah, you're right. It's the Liberals who are fully responsible for the dumbing down of America.

Come on, dude. I don't believe for a minute that party politics have to dictate academic strengths or weaknesses, but seriously. If you want to have that conversation, you have to at least acknowledge that conservatives are responsible for more than their fair share of idiotic ideas when it comes to what our children are learning. Or not learning, as the case may be.
You are a typical liberal fool who tries to make a point with no proof. Next time have some evidence so you don't sound so unknowledgeable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3