Cranbury Real Estate Values
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guest08512

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 6:43 am EST    Post subject: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Bust or Recovery? Cranbury Real Estate Today
Thursday, November 17, 7:00pm – 8:30pm

Where:Cranbury Public Library
Many Cranbury residents are uncertain about the real estate market and what's in store for the future. Come and hear our panel of experts discuss real estate issues in Cranbury.
Joining us are:

Steven Benner, Assessor, Cranbury Township
Susan Norman, Henderson Sotheby's International Real Estate
James Orr, Ph.D, an economist with more than 40 years experience specializing in regional economies.

This program is organized by the Friends of the Cranbury Public Library
cran res

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:38 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Seriously?

No disrespect intended for the listed panelists. But is this really a question?
Guest 321

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:38 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Cranbury is a town for a few who can afford the high assessments and high taxes.

What's in the future? When I get old, I will move away since it's too pricey to live here. By then my house will be worth the current assessed value.
cran res

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 2:48 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Guest 321 wrote:
Cranbury is a town for a few who can afford the high assessments and high taxes.

What's in the future? When I get old, I will move away since it's too pricey to live here. By then my house will be worth the current assessed value.

The high taxes are a NJ-wide issue. Cranbury is still relatively low relative to the state or county, not in adbsolute dollars but rate. Our absolute dollars are higher because our houses are worth more, on average.

The assessments until 2006 were historically well below actual value for a long time. In 2006 they reflected market at the time. Market has declined substantially since. And you can get your assessment down too if you pursue it. So I don't see high assessments as an inherent problem.

No one has an credible idea where the housing market will be in 5, 10 or 20 years, expert or not. The experts all disagree and they are all guessing because there are too many unknown variables. The conventional wisdom is that once prices finally stablize they will return to historic increases of small single digit increases per year. But they keep pushing back the estimate on when they will stablize on the one hand as they continue to dip more after short periods of flatness or slight increases. And on the other hand, an economist can never reliably predict a strong market surge like what happened to home prices for the decade prior to 2006, which doesn't mean it won't happen again but merely that they can't predict it.
guest771

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 7:17 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Our home is the single biggest investment that we have made. We definitely were thinking long term investment, so I am curious to hear what the panel has to say. Even if it is an educated guess...
Good program, Cranbury Public Library.
Values

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 10:47 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

I look at this discussion as a view to how the tax structure will go. If properties continue to decline then a bigger burden will shift to residential. As a result the taxes will be adjusted. Everytime a warehouse appeals it is less revenue coming in. Everytime a home appeals it is less revenue coming in. So while my home value drops on the assessment it does not correlate to a tax deduction necessarily. That is what was missed in the discussion last year.

This year the town will face drastic cuts to services or face another tax increase. I am not sure the town is ready for less police, less leaf or chipping services, no fireworks, etc...but no one wants a rate increase even if it means their specific situation is that taxes stay the same or still go down. For example, I pay roughly the same after the tax increase this year as I dud after the 2006 assessment because I appealed and my property value dropped.

So to me this program will hopefully tell me what I can expect to see.
Seed

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 17 2011, 6:26 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

It sounds like an interesting opportunity to hear some different and valuable perspectives on the local real estate market. Thanks for doing it and thanks for posting it here so people know about it.
?????

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 17 2011, 11:24 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Couldn't make this meeting. Any interesting info?
guest919

PostPosted: Sat, Nov 19 2011, 1:38 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Real Estate Values Reply with quote

Basically, real estate in Cranbury has held up better value than other
towns in area - though overall it appears we are down about 9%.
New Jersey overall is faring about the same as the national average.
Cranbury is a desirable place to live due to ease of getting to train, bus, turnpike. Taxes are not as bad as other towns in vicinity. Schools are good. Plus we have a walkable downtown - and a sense of community.

Lots of data was handed out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Home Sweet Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1