Do you like your iPhone5?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-011q

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22 2012, 1:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Do you like your iPhone5? Reply with quote

Mine will arrive later this week. If you have received it, do you like it?
anon-97on

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 22 2012, 8:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Do you like your iPhone5? Reply with quote

anon-011q wrote:
Mine will arrive later this week. If you have received it, do you like it?

It's fine. The screen is a tad taller, just enough for them to squeeze an extra row of icons or see a couple more emails listed at a time. If you really did watch movies on it it would be better but I do that on my iPad more often.

It's slightly thinner but not enough to matter and meaningfully lighter but I didn't think the 4/4s was heavy. The black version has less contrast between the screen and the surrounding area so when not light-up it looks like an almost perfectly uniform shiny back surface.

It's supposedly faster but I haven't really noticed. It still takes about the same time to start-up. It's capable of LTE but on AT&T you don't get LTE around here. They still say "4G" but that's the same 3G+ network you could use on the 4's. I did some traveling today and was in an LTE zone for a while but had the typical problem where I had full bars but wasn't getting any data because the network was congested. Verizon has better LTE reception around here, but you still cab't use data and voice at the same time which was a deal breaker for me.

The new earphones were a noticeable improvement, both in terms of how well they sit in my ears and the sound quality. Surprisingly so. Possibly my favorite hardware enhancement.

The new cable is a mixed bag. I do agree it's nicer -- tiny connector that clicks in nicely and it doesn't matter which side you click it in with. But major pain. I have a ton of accessories that it doesn't work with. And even when I use the provider new cable to attach to older accessories it doesn't always work. In my car for example, which has a UPS port specifically to connect an iDevice it will play music briefly then stop and give an error message about an unauthorized device. Also, with just about every portable electronic device in the world going to mini-USB if they were going to change why did they have to continue to be proprietary? With every other device I travel with I can take one charger and share.

Almost all the other changes are in iOS6 and would work on older phones. None are Earth-shattering game changers. My favorite is the ability to now take still pictures while in the middle of shooting video. LOVE that. I also like a feature where you can define some email addresses as VIP. It then pops up notifications with the emails when they arrive. The Siri enhancements are gimmicks and not reliable in my 10 minutes of experimentation. For example, I asked it for what movies were opening in October and it provided a list that started with October 17 ignoring all the movies coming out in the first half of the month.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 23 2012, 7:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Do you like your iPhone5? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to try mine.
anon-97on

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 25 2012, 7:56 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Do you like your iPhone5? Reply with quote

After some use I am lowering my estimating of the new headphones. They still sound much better than the old ones in an indoor environment. But I have now used them several times outside, riding a bike and walking in the city, and they are terrible at picking up the ambient outdoor noise or the wind. When I rode my bike all I could hear is loud wind. I switched to the old ones and it wasn't as bad -- somehow the new design channels the wind more. Same with walking in the city -- I had to crank the volume to almost max, which I always had to do with the old ones too honestly -- but once I got inside the new ones were incredibly loud even though they didn't sound it outside.
anon-011q

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 25 2012, 9:20 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Do you like your iPhone5? Reply with quote

Unlike the old earphones, the new earphones has openings at the side and the place near the wire. This is supposed to increase air flow for a better sound (something to do with dissipating the vibrating energy of the speakers). I guess this new feature has the drawback you discovered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1