Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Interesting. I heard they are arranging for a number of trees to come down on the west property so the library can be located there by the brook. That way as people read they can look out on the brook and hear bubbling water.

A parking garage will also be installed. This way all the soccer tournaments have ample parking.

The town council stated that they might as well go all in.
sbnewsman1

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:01 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/south-brunswick-cranbury/categories/letters-to-the-editor/articles/cranbury-library-supporter-all-politics-are-loc
anon-p104

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

sbnewsman1 wrote:
https://youtu.be/5557Z9zrpJs

Video from the meeting.

Interesting video. How much more money will the library ask for?

For all the rallying the library supporters did to get people to attend the meeting in a show of force, I counted about 40 in the video. Even if all were supporters (and I know some there were not supporters), that is less than 2% of the population. It does not seem there is much township support for the library.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

It's a valid letter if the town had no library. But, the town has a library. So the only difference is the physical structure. Let's not tie being opposed to a physical building to being opposed to the value of a library.

If there were no library in town today then the discussion of a new building would hold more merit.
sbnewsman1

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

We will have something up on the meeting later today with more details...the thumbnail is that supporters in the public....yes about 40 at the meeting...did ask TC for money to help.

The consensus was "we need dollars, not just words of support."

But Library officials did NOT ask for anything and the members of the public basically asked 1. to fund the increase of about $91,000 for the parking lot and site work that came in higher than what the TC approved...2. eliminate the requirement for a 5% contingency (about $130,000)...and give the foundation more time to raise the $200,000 balance.

If all of those things came to pass, the contract may be able to start...especially with a possibility of some state funding....if approved by voters in November which could cover the last $200,000.

https://www.patreon.com/sbnewsman1
anon-711n

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 5:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Interesting that the $91,000 extra needed for the parking lot is about 20% higher than the original estimate and approval. A 5% contingency is too low.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 5:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

sbnewsman1 wrote:
We will have something up on the meeting later today with more details...the thumbnail is that supporters in the public....yes about 40 at the meeting...did ask TC for money to help.

The consensus was "we need dollars, not just words of support."

But Library officials did NOT ask for anything and the members of the public basically asked 1. to fund the increase of about $91,000 for the parking lot and site work that came in higher than what the TC approved...2. eliminate the requirement for a 5% contingency (about $130,000)...and give the foundation more time to raise the $200,000 balance.

If all of those things came to pass, the contract may be able to start...especially with a possibility of some state funding....if approved by voters in November which could cover the last $200,000.

https://www.patreon.com/sbnewsman1

Just to be clear you're reporting and not making commentary. You are correct.

However, in order for the contract to start someone has to pay so they would actually be asking is the TC chip in:

- Cover the 5% if it is needed- 130K
- Cover the 200K delta

Plus, from what I heard they actually have some delta still between cash in hand and pledges.

So at a minimum, the TC would put up at least 421K using these numbers on top of 475K already allocated plus land.

So TC money outside of the Libray tax is 896k or at least 30% of the building.

Further, if they start and break ground we all know Trenton will not allow give Cranbury money at that point.
Library lies-6pq8

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

I was told the library only has $2.2 million in cash and keeps claiming higher numbers that are only pledges they are misleading us the town will have to put in over $500,000 more of tax money money for the new library why do they keep misleading and lying to us claiming they have $2.8 million how can they ask the taxpayers to believe when the residents do not believe in their cause library lies
anon-q2r7

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon; oqs6-np85 wrote:
Well tonight the Library Gangsters made a report to the TC. The supporters wanted the TC to give up MORE $$$ to finish fund the project. It appears that the donors don't want to fork over the money until they see shovels in the ground. The deal was: The Library Committee needs ALL funds in the bank before starting. Now Mr. Berkowski and others want the TC to waive that requirement along with not providing a contigency fund. I can assure you Mr. Berkowski never did a project for himself without a reasonable contigency fund. That is irresponsible and the TC needs to not waiver on their original rules. By the way the township "donated" parking lot and engineering fees that are are now $91,000 over budget. We have been horsewhipped into this dollar sucking Library and we can't afford any more than the $475,000. [actually $565,000. now price-short now $91,000.]the township has already allocated to this fiasco. Audrey Smith played the "we need a community space card" that is the same card that was played when we were sucked into the School Bond for the addition that included a Community Room --by the way the room was built but we cannot use it! At this point there is a monetary gap of $200,000. along with $100,000. in unpaid pledges.The township has donated parking lot, the land and the engineering costs, they will be on the hook for additionl costs as this fiasco progresses. The request was to "Trust Us" well Trust doesn't pay the bills Ms. Veghte.
91,000 for a parking lot to hold 2 cars. This is ridiculous!
Library lies-6pq8

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

They only have 2.2 million $600,00 of the money is taxpayer money they underspent they could have kept the library open on Sunday and later hours for commuters mayor Cody tried to stop them years ago the library lies they only have $2.2 million without the $600000 of taxpayer money they underspent they have only raised $1.4 million the library lies and devices to make it look like they have done more the library lies are now being shown to is all the library has only raised $1.4 million the library lies
anon-4502

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 19 2017, 1:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-54r5 wrote:
Interesting. I heard they are arranging for a number of trees to come down on the west property so the library can be located there by the brook. That way as people read they can look out on the brook and hear bubbling water.

A parking garage will also be installed. This way all the soccer tournaments have ample parking.

The town council stated that they might as well go all in.

Damn....how come your troll message stays up, and the one I posted about raising 45 million was taken down?
anon-4502

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 19 2017, 1:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-p104 wrote:
sbnewsman1 wrote:
https://youtu.be/5557Z9zrpJs

Video from the meeting.

Interesting video. How much more money will the library ask for?

For all the rallying the library supporters did to get people to attend the meeting in a show of force, I counted about 40 in the video. Even if all were supporters (and I know some there were not supporters), that is less than 2% of the population. It does not seem there is much township support for the library.

Measuring support for a project by the number of people that show up?
anon-4502

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 19 2017, 1:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Library lies-6pq8 wrote:
I was told the library only has $2.2 million in cash and keeps claiming higher numbers that are only pledges they are misleading us the town will have to put in over $500,000 more of tax money money for the new library why do they keep misleading and lying to us claiming they have $2.8 million how can they ask the taxpayers to believe when the residents do not believe in their cause library lies

Yes, it is all about misleading everyone in town. And raising your taxes (which are - considering you live in NJ, low)
Guest-127-n6o0

PostPosted: Sat, Aug 19 2017, 8:18 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

I donated to the library fund even though I'm not convinced that the volume of use our current library sees warrants a new one. What concerns me about this project are a few things:
1: I thought there was over $2 million in cash in the fund prior to soliciting bids. If I understood Audrey Smith's comment correctly, this is simply a pledged number, not "cash on hand" figure. One needs to assume a certain amount of pledges will not be collected.
2: Sorry, but a 5% contingency is not sufficient. Change orders will happen on a project of this size. If it is not sufficient, for any other reason, who is going to come to the rescue? I suspect it will come from the annual operating budget.
3: I believe the building maintenance is going to be the responsibility of the library. However, future TC's may decide to assume that role. Another cost to taxpayers.
4: I've never had a problem parking in town. I know the Park Place parking lot has been on the Master Plan for years, but it's a lot of money for parking we really don't need.
5: Only 20% of the town donated to the fund. Not a great showing of support.

Would a new library be nice? Sure. Is is critical for Cranbury? No.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:22 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Guest-127-n6o0 wrote:
I donated to the library fund even though I'm not convinced that the volume of use our current library sees warrants a new one. What concerns me about this project are a few things:
1: I thought there was over $2 million in cash in the fund prior to soliciting bids. If I understood Audrey Smith's comment correctly, this is simply a pledged number, not "cash on hand" figure. One needs to assume a certain amount of pledges will not be collected.
2: Sorry, but a 5% contingency is not sufficient. Change orders will happen on a project of this size. If it is not sufficient, for any other reason, who is going to come to the rescue? I suspect it will come from the annual operating budget.
3: I believe the building maintenance is going to be the responsibility of the library. However, future TC's may decide to assume that role. Another cost to taxpayers.
4: I've never had a problem parking in town. I know the Park Place parking lot has been on the Master Plan for years, but it's a lot of money for parking we really don't need.
5: Only 20% of the town donated to the fund. Not a great showing of support.

Would a new library be nice? Sure. Is is critical for Cranbury? No.

My understanding is that change orders cannot be done unless approved by the TC. Thus, the library cannot suddenly agree to something especially if they do not have funds.

The contractor puts up a bond and is responsible if the cost of materials increases.

The issue on parking is complicated.

- odd fellows, David wells and Claire's have all been for sale with no buyers in part because of parking.

- the town today for 20-25k a year leases spots from Sweetwater which may no longer be required.

- if the library does move and say brings in 10 people an hour. Then that is maybe 7-8 spots being used assuming some people walk. Is it fair that the businesses lose this parking? Further, the town has not required any mom and pop business in the village to contribute toward a parking solution so the town has owned this.

- remember Teddy's owns most of that lot not the town.

- if you go at night on fri or sat or lunchtime parking can be difficult. If we want Claire's, Davids and odd fellows to succeed we need to provide parking.

- lastly, our tax revenue on commercial is in part based on the value of the business so we're simiiliar to investors in the business. If they generate more revenue then we generate more in tax revenue. Therefore, we have a vested interest in ensuring the businesses succeed.
anon;oqs2-np85

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:58 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

As a municipality we have no responsibility to insure that businesses succeed. Many of the "Businesses" were homes and not a business originally. I guess it boils down to, does Cranbury want to be Summit or Chatam or Clinton, or Chester? If that is what the "residents" want that should be their choice. It seems we are losing track of why many folks moved here. Many folks wanted a small town atmosphere, not a hustle bustle sidewalk jammed mess that we now have. Do we really need to be a destination? Is it fair to the residents on and around main street to have visitors overtake the town ? Do we really need the traffic and the noise and congestion? Maybe, just maybe , the governing body needs to consider the rest of the community, not just the businesses.
A business is just that [a business] and the owners always take risks and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't . The town should not have to guarantee that any business must succeed. If you look at what was the hardware store for example; Rocco saw that it was no longer a viable business and he moved out. Others have moved in and out of many of these locations and have made bad decisions as to what was their potential to make a profit. The real question is, what is best for the the taxpayer from a financial and quality of life perspective and does the Library really need a half million dollar parking lot? and do we really need a 4 million dollar library?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8