Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon;oqs2-np85 wrote:
As a municipality we have no responsibility to insure that businesses succeed. Many of the "Businesses" were homes and not a business originally. I guess it boils down to, does Cranbury want to be Summit or Chatam or Clinton, or Chester? If that is what the "residents" want that should be their choice. It seems we are losing track of why many folks moved here. Many folks wanted a small town atmosphere, not a hustle bustle sidewalk jammed mess that we now have. Do we really need to be a destination? Is it fair to the residents on and around main street to have visitors overtake the town ? Do we really need the traffic and the noise and congestion? Maybe, just maybe , the governing body needs to consider the rest of the community, not just the businesses.
A business is just that [a business] and the owners always take risks and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't . The town should not have to guarantee that any business must succeed. If you look at what was the hardware store for example; Rocco saw that it was no longer a viable business and he moved out. Others have moved in and out of many of these locations and have made bad decisions as to what was their potential to make a profit. The real question is, what is best for the the taxpayer from a financial and quality of life perspective and does the Library really need a half million dollar parking lot? and do we really need a 4 million dollar library?

If a business succeeds then it generates more tax revenue for the town. An empty business decreases tax revenue.

The Income Approach is what Cranbury uses to analyze the assessment for commercial property. Whereby the income stream produced by a property is used to estimate the sum which might be invested to purchase the property in order to receive future benefits.

It is why the value of warehouses decreased when the rents did. But, if a business is profitable then the town benefits via the assessment because that business is worth more.

Even if you hold your point, if we don't build and continue to rent the Sweetwater lot over the next 20 years we will be likely covering our costs by building the lot and terming the lease. We've already rented that lot for 3-5 years now.

As to why people moved here, growing up we had more stores that generated regular traffic--i.e. Doctor, Deli, Dandelion Shop, Harolds, First National, Pharmacy, Hardware Store, along with some of the main stays. These uses had more traffic, but quick turnover compared to restaurants where people come and stay. So one could argue there was more bustle in the Village than there is today, but finding parking is harder now because spots don't turnover during peak times as much.

If you read our history then you'll also see Cranbury had shops all the way down to Old Trenton road. On S Main they had the Hutchinson store, the Inn, a Blacksmith, Boot Shop, and Movie Theater to name a few.
anon;oqs7-np85

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 5:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Those businesses are gone due to changing times and the economy. Now we need to decide if we want a continuing failure of business after business or do we want and quiet town where folks can be at home, walk their dogs and have their children play on main street and be at peace as they were long before the push by the Committee to build the town as a "destination". As for the taxable value of the [properties on main street] ---talk to the assessor and he will tell you the values are insignificant in the overall real estate tax scheme of things. This should not be CRANBURYLAND, it should be the Village of Cranbury.
anon-0341

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-s6p5 wrote:
anon-q2q6 wrote:
The library needs at least $1 million to complete the project.

So I went to the meeting.

- the room was standing room only.
All the people who disapprove know it's fruitless. to show up and b
-There was not one person who could speak that opposed the library. (Just like every other time the library comes to the TC). We get pages here opposing the library and no one showing up.
- a number of supporters did speak their typical lies.
- They need around 5 million more to build the library based on the current bid and requirements put in place by the TC- cash in hand, 5% contingency, etc...
- The library did ask for money.
- Supporters did ask for money. They asked for the town to put in additional funds and to waive both the cash in hand and the contingency requirements. They seemed upset that the TC was not doing more. More money is needed everyday for this want by a few and need for nobody.
- The Mayor and Ms. Goetz were most vocal and based on their comments did not seem inclined to be agreeable to any of the requests.
- It seemed to me that the library will need to close the gap on their own. It also seemed to me that they seemed very concerned about being able to close the gap. I can't blame them. No honest man can pay for this.

So despite all the hemming and hawing about opposition, notice of over a few weeks about the meeting, and ample time for those opposed to show up, and all the pages here it seems the story is the same. The people opposed just don't care as much about being opposed as those who are in favor. And the TC is going to require the library to find the money to proceed.
anon-0341

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:57 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-0341 wrote:
anon-s6p5 wrote:
anon-q2q6 wrote:
The library needs at least $12 million to complete the project.

So I went to the meeting.

All the people who disapprove know it's fruitless. to show up and b
-There was not one person who could speak that opposed the library. (Just like every other time the library comes to the TC). We get pages here opposing the library and no one showing up.
- They need around 5 million more to build the library based on the current bid and requirements put in place by the TC- cash in hand, 5% contingency, etc...
- The library did ask for money.
- Supporters did ask for money. They asked for the town to put in additional funds and to waive both the cash in hand and the contingency requirements. They seemed upset that the TC was not doing more. More money is needed everyday for this want by a few and need for nobody.
- The Mayor and Ms. Goetz were most vocal and based on their comments did not seem inclined to be agreeable to any of the requests.
- It seemed to me that the library will need to close the gap on their own. It also seemed to me that they seemed very concerned about being able to close the gap. I can't blame them. No honest man can pay for this.

So despite all the hemming and hawing about opposition, notice of over a few weeks about the meeting, and ample time for those opposed to show up, and all the pages here it seems the story is the same. The people opposed just don't care as much about being opposed as those who are in favor. And the TC is going to require the library to find or continue to extort the money to proceed.
anon-0341

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 11:03 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-0341 wrote:
anon-s6p5 wrote:
anon-q2q6 wrote:

So I went to the meeting and could not believe what I heard.

All the people who disapprove know it's fruitless to show up and be reticule by these gangsters.
-There was not one person who could speak that opposed the library. They were told to leave the premesis. (Just like every other time the library comes to the TC). We get pages here opposing the library and no one showing up because people actually have jobs and lives of their own.
- The library did ask illicit money.
- Supporters did demand money. They asked for the town to put in additional funds and to waive both the cash in hand and the contingency requirements. They seemed upset that the TC was not doing more. More money is needed everyday for this want by a few and need for nobody.

So despite all the hemming and hawing about opposition, notice of over a few weeks about the meeting, and ample time for those opposed to show up, and all the pages here it seems the story is the same. The people opposed just don't care as much about being opposed as those who are in favor. And the TC is going to require the library to find the money to proceed.
anon-0341

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 20 2017, 11:03 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-0341 wrote:
anon-0341 wrote:
anon-s6p5 wrote:
anon-q2q6 wrote:

So I went to the meeting and could not believe what I heard.

All the people who disapprove know it's fruitless to show up and be rediculed by these gangsters.
-There was not one person who could speak that opposed the library. They were told to leave the premesis. (Just like every other time the library comes to the TC). We get pages here opposing the library and no one showing up because people actually have jobs and lives of their own.
- The library did ask illicit money.
- Supporters did demand money. They asked for the town to put in additional funds and to waive both the cash in hand and the contingency requirements. They seemed upset that the TC was not doing more. More money is needed everyday for this want by a few and need for nobody.

Are the lies real?-824n

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 11:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Library lies-6pq8 wrote:
I was told the library only has $2.2 million in cash and keeps claiming higher numbers that are only pledges they are misleading us the town will have to put in over $500,000 more of tax money money for the new library why do they keep misleading and lying to us claiming they have $2.8 million how can they ask the taxpayers to believe when the residents do not believe in their cause library lies
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

Are the lies real?-824n wrote:
Library lies-6pq8 wrote:
I was told the library only has $2.2 million in cash and keeps claiming higher numbers that are only pledges they are misleading us the town will have to put in over $500,000 more of tax money money for the new library why do they keep misleading and lying to us claiming they have $2.8 million how can they ask the taxpayers to believe when the residents do not believe in their cause library lies

The library in their cash in hand number. I understand this does not include the TC contribution for the parking lot. Thus, 2.2 plus 475K equals the 2.6m.
anon-s41n

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 2:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

If the library has $2.2M cash in hand, the bids were a little over $3M, adding a 5% contingency, adding $91,000 for the parking lot overage, doesn't that mean the library has over $1M left to raise?
anon-0341

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:05 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-s41n wrote:
If the library has $2.2M cash in hand, the bids were a little over $3M, adding a 5% contingency, adding $91,000 for the parking lot overage, doesn't that mean the library has over $1M left to raise?

Don't let some small details get in the way of the desperately needed library. We cannot survive without more empty buildings to be funded by the tax payers. Not sure how any of us seniors can stay and pay taxes for more wants than needs. If this is so necessary and it affects all townspeople why not put it up for a vote like a true democracy and not like a Cuban dictatorship?
anon-0341

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

anon-s41n wrote:

Don't let some small details get in the way of the desperately needed library. We cannot survive without more empty buildings to be funded by the tax payers. Not sure how any of us seniors can stay and pay taxes for more wants than needs. If this is so necessary and it affects all townspeople why not put it up for a vote like a true democracy and not like a Cuban dictatorship?
anon-0341

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

[quote="anon-0341"]
anon-s41n wrote:
Do we need new libra-8451

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 24 2017, 11:29 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

[quote="anon-0341"]
anon-0341 wrote:
anon-s41n wrote:

I am new to following this story. From reading here the library has $600,000 of tax money they kept and did not spend on keeping the library open on sundays and evenings. The math is then $2,200,000 less $600,000 tax money which is $1,600,000 raised by the library. The library says they have raised $2,600,000. Who is lying and who is telling the truth? The library board or the posters on here?

What is wrong with the current library? I go there I take out books my children go there after school and play games on the computers it seems to work the way it is.
anon-711n

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

This chart linked here from the Foundation is a little hard to follow but may show some of the picture:

http://www.cranburylibraryfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/funds-chart.jpg

The library has collected $1,496,523 in pledges
They have spent $160,738 already to an architect
They have $1,806,759 in cash on hand
The total cash and architect spending totals $1,967,497
That is almost $500,000 over the amount collected in pledges
There were probably other expenses during the years of the Foundation
Is this difference the $600,000 in money already taken from the operating budget?
There is also a line stating $419,702 as Library Funds Reserved for construction of a new library
Is this another more money taken from the budget, reducing services to the people, totally over $1 Million to service a new library.
The way this is looking, the library has collected in pledges less than half the funds necessary for a new library which is greater than $3 Million

A full and open disclosure of the funding would be welcome.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:41 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

This is bad

anon-711n wrote:
This chart linked here from the Foundation is a little hard to follow but may show some of the picture:

http://www.cranburylibraryfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/funds-chart.jpg

The library has collected $1,496,523 in pledges
They have spent $160,738 already to an architect
They have $1,806,759 in cash on hand
The total cash and architect spending totals $1,967,497
That is almost $500,000 over the amount collected in pledges
There were probably other expenses during the years of the Foundation
Is this difference the $600,000 in money already taken from the operating budget?
There is also a line stating $419,702 as Library Funds Reserved for construction of a new library
Is this another more money taken from the budget, reducing services to the people, totally over $1 Million to service a new library.
The way this is looking, the library has collected in pledges less than half the funds necessary for a new library which is greater than $3 Million

A full and open disclosure of the funding would be welcome.
anon-6696

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 27 2017, 7:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Library Reply with quote

The library is open 4 hours all weekend. That's ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8