Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbnewsman1

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 12 2017, 2:20 am EDT    Post subject: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/GYTuo5PCgw4

https://www.patreon.com/sbnewsman1?utm_campaign=launchshare2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
anon-5p0n

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:01 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

What is the November funding referendum they are referring to? That relates to State money?
anon-4617

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 12 2017, 10:32 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

This is still taxpayer funding, who would pay for the bond, state taxpayers.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 12 2017, 2:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Yes, but if the money is sitting in Trenton and going to be spent regardless, then isn't it better for Cranbury to get it rather than Trenton or Camden? I will take all the money I can from Trenton given we're constantly sending them our money.
anon-4ooq

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 12 2017, 5:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Did someone from the library really say we should not have built a police station or first house first. Did they also say we should not build affordable housing or dredge the lake?
anon-6p4p

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 13 2017, 3:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

anon-4ooq wrote:
Did someone from the library really say we should not have built a police station or first house first. Did they also say we should not build affordable housing or dredge the lake?
sbnewsman1

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 14 2017, 2:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/south-brunswick-cranbury/articles/township-committee-to-new-library-supporters-no
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 15 2017, 1:01 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Interesting...here is what I see.

1) I think the library board is trying to be political. They don't want to alienate the TC so they are trying to be middle ground.

2) It is clear that there are impassioned library building supporters, more so than those who oppose building a new library.

3) It is important to remember the difference that maybe just over 20 years ago Monroe had no library, they used Cranbury's. So they made investments to bring one in.

4) The people at the meeting seem to be under the impression that since the TC is not adding more funds that they don't value the library or even talk as though we have no library. Both statements are wrong. I don't think the TC not spending money on a Library means that the one we have today is no good nor that the TC does not appreciate having a library.

Lastly, the comment made equating the library to the Police station or Firehouse is just ridiculous.

- The Police were in a trailer at the Public Work yard. They had no building to use. For clearly obvious reasons a trailer is not a suitable police barracks.

- The Firehouse was falling down which is why only the original part remains. Further, the equipment and needs of the town changed so much that a new house was required. What would happen in winter if the tanker pulled out and all the water was frozen inside due to not having a place to keep it warm?

In both cases, this was emergency operations critical to the function and safety of the town and residents. The Library is suitable to today's needs.

Lastly, if I hear the children argument one more time I will scream. There is no place guaranteed 100% safe. The kids in the library being monitored by teachers and the school librarian are safer than most kids walking to school alone, going to a movie with friends or even just being at the mall.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 15 2017, 10:44 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Kirstie Venazi library head speaking about the new library she wants

“I guess we get a little frustrated when other projects kind of leap-frog ahead of us,” she said. “Because it has been this way forever. Before it was affordable housing, fire station, police station, affordable housing again, (Brainerd) lake, I mean there's always something!”
anon-3306

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 16 2017, 7:51 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

anon-54r5 wrote:

4) The people at the meeting seem to be under the impression that since the TC is not adding more funds that they don't value the library or even talk as though we have no library. Both statements are wrong. I don't think the TC not spending money on a Library means that the one we have today is no good nor that the TC does not appreciate having a library.

Lastly, if I hear the children argument one more time I will scream. There is no place guaranteed 100% safe. The kids in the library being monitored by teachers and the school librarian are safer than most kids walking to school alone, going to a movie with friends or even just being at the mall.

And the TC is spending money on the library project. They have already pledged at least $475,000 to the construction costs, and likely more with inflation once their portion of the construction is bid. Not to mention the portion of the funds that have come from the library's tax allocation.

Yeah, it was an interesting statement by the library to imply the school officials of believing one thing but saying another since the school board and officials have consistently stayed neutral on the new library.
anon-410s

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 16 2017, 12:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

The TChas a number of times limited their number to 475k. They have pushed back at additional funding so it is not correct to state the TC will approve more money given how stringent they have been to date.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 18 2017, 9:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

anon-pp98 wrote:
Kirstie Venazi library head speaking about the new library she wants

“I guess we get a little frustrated when other projects kind of leap-frog ahead of us,” she said. “Because it has been this way forever. Before it was affordable housing, fire station, police station, affordable housing again, (Brainerd) lake, I mean there's always something!”
anon-ppq7

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:24 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Truth is that the Police Station and the Fires Station were also on that list for a long time. There was always something that held back the start of those projects. Cranbury has a history of being financially prudent.

Now there is a solution for the library project. With The help of the foundation, the town can get a library building. However, the truth is that there is a lot of frustration due to the waiting.
anon;oqs2-np85

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:58 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

The problem with building the New Library is that it is a WANT not a NEED. We already have a library and most any 8 year old has more data in their pocket than a library. This library is something that is really driven by a few large contributors; who for their own personal reasons WANT a library. To have 4 donors that have pledged $750,000. seems to make it fairly obvious that this is a pet project for a few. This library does not have overwhelming support of the community.The Township Committee has bent over backwards to fund much of this with land and parking contributions. I certainly hope they do not cave in to the pleas for more taxpayers dollars to be spent on a private project for a few.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 19 2017, 7:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

anon-ppq7 wrote:
Truth is that the Police Station and the Fires Station were also on that list for a long time. There was always something that held back the start of those projects. Cranbury has a history of being financially prudent.

Now there is a solution for the library project. With The help of the foundation, the town can get a library building. However, the truth is that there is a lot of frustration due to the waiting.

The problem is that the Foundation funds at this point are just help. The Library is a want and not a need like the Police Station or Fire House, though I agree both of those were long over due before they were built.

If the library had all the funds, then I am sure the TC would have agreed to build. I agree as well that a large part of the issue is those passionate about building are fustrated that the point of building is just within grasp.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 1 2017, 10:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Latest Library Project Discussion At 9/11/17 TC Meeting (Audio Only) Reply with quote

Bump library trying to hide this one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1