Marijuana discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 8:28 am EST    Post subject: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone have the agenda for Monday night?

I heard that the town is discussing the state’s proposed initiative to allow recreational marijuana sales. There is already a medical marijuana facility and I hope the town is not going to allow them to sell recreationally.

We all know the towns will never see the tax revenue as the state will keep the money and we’ll end up with the negative outcomes from it.
anon-s50n

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 8:56 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

I disagree. Marijuana should have been legalized years ago...

(https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPOw2unxy0)

The facility is out in the industrial area of the township, it’s not downtown where you (kids) will walk by it every day. I would however agree to restricting it to that area. Driving by you wouldn’t even know it was there.
We have allowed alcohol to be consumed and sold at multiple locations around town without incident. Would you say we should also restrict the sale and consumption of alcohol?
I think there are many people in town who would also agree that this is a non issue and it should be allowed. I will be at the meeting to show my support.
Cranonymous-2163

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 9:15 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Well I heard that they are going to be discussing turning Gil & Berts into a dispensary! "Sorry kids, no more ice cream, but here, try this instead!"

Seriously, lighten up.People should be way more worried about their kids raiding the medicine cabinet than crossing 130 to buy weed.
anon-102q

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 9:44 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-s50n wrote:
I disagree. Marijuana should have been legalized years ago...

(https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPOw2unxy0)

The facility is out in the industrial area of the township, it’s not downtown where you (kids) will walk by it every day. I would however agree to restricting it to that area. Driving by you wouldn’t even know it was there.
We have allowed alcohol to be consumed and sold at multiple locations around town without incident. Would you say we should also restrict the sale and consumption of alcohol?
I think there are many people in town who would also agree that this is a non issue and it should be allowed. I will be at the meeting to show my support.

Well Alcohol is legal and weed is not, so why would we restrict its sales? Just because you think it “should’ve” been leagalized years ago.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 10:06 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

This is on the agenda.

Speaking with personal knowledge I have a very good friend who had a drug issue in college. He is now a Sr. Partner at a large law firm. I've known him for 30 plus years going back to his drug days in college. He is very clear that getting into marijuana was the gateway to other drugs he did and why he needed rehab or would have died. He is always citing the BS when he hears that it is not a gateway drug because he and many of the people who he volunteers to help and counsel today started with marijuana.

He is very much opposed to legalization and because of his experience so am I. I can't control the state law, but I can oppose Cranbury opening up the sales. There is a difference between medicinal and recreational in my view. If someone is dying from cancer we should do what we can to help them. If someone just wants to get high, then that is not something I care to help.

I know I do not support legalization and I do not want my property values to drop because Cranbury becomes associated with a recreational dispensary. Look at the drop in property values in Hightstown when they became known as an amnesty city. Many of these people contribute as volunteers. Yet, the values in homes dropped because of perception. Being known as a drug town is going to do the same for our values.

Further, just as we have people drinking and driving, we do not need people getting joints and then smoking in their car before heading off.
anon-s50n

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 10:27 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

The only way we are going to get the federal law to change is if enough states show support for legalization. You’re right, it’s illegal now federally. Prohibition of alcohol didn’t work and it hasn’t worked for marijuana.
anon-s50n

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 11:39 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

The only way we are going to get the federal law to change is if enough states show support for legalization. You’re right, it’s illegal now federally. Prohibition of alcohol didn’t work and it hasn’t worked for marijuana.
anon-0421

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 12:24 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

HAHA - BS - It is not a gateway drug. I know many people who do not drink and smoke pot. The people who smoke pot ONLY smoke pot once in a while and have NEVER tried other kind of drugs. Now on the other hand people who drink, they have never tried pot but do coke and other drugs.

Get used to people, its only a matter of time before it is legal.

And I would like to include the fact that probably about 75% of the town is already smoking it illegally.

anon-54r5 wrote:
This is on the agenda.

Speaking with personal knowledge I have a very good friend who had a drug issue in college. He is now a Sr. Partner at a large law firm. I've known him for 30 plus years going back to his drug days in college. He is very clear that getting into marijuana was the gateway to other drugs he did and why he needed rehab or would have died. He is always citing the BS when he hears that it is not a gateway drug because he and many of the people who he volunteers to help and counsel today started with marijuana.

He is very much opposed to legalization and because of his experience so am I. I can't control the state law, but I can oppose Cranbury opening up the sales. There is a difference between medicinal and recreational in my view. If someone is dying from cancer we should do what we can to help them. If someone just wants to get high, then that is not something I care to help.

I know I do not support legalization and I do not want my property values to drop because Cranbury becomes associated with a recreational dispensary. Look at the drop in property values in Hightstown when they became known as an amnesty city. Many of these people contribute as volunteers. Yet, the values in homes dropped because of perception. Being known as a drug town is going to do the same for our values.

Further, just as we have people drinking and driving, we do not need people getting joints and then smoking in their car before heading off.
Cranonymous-2163

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 12:30 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

The idea of a "gateway drug" is preposterous. Yes, for some people that is the first of many drugs they will take. Do you think a first time drug user is going to head into some crack den in a terrible neighborhood? Or think "Wow, my dealer is out of weed, better try the meth instead"?No, they will try what is most readily available to them at the time. But pot is most definitely not a "gateway." Correlation does NOT equal causation.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 1:22 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

I am telling you what my good friend who suffered through a major addiction stated as his experience. And your responses are exactly what gets him annoyed.

The people who he bought from and hung out with eventually didn't just do marijuana. He started with it, but then expanded into other things. So he very much looked at it as a gateway and the people he helps in rehab also always started there. It was not the cause, but if not for getting into marijuana he wouldn't be in that position.

His example is many people drink beer or wine. But, they go to a bar and the bartender or the friends go, hey put the beer down do a shot of this. The shot most often has a higher alcohol content.

So in my friend's case, he says they were sitting around one night with people he would not have hung out with otherwise and someone said here try this which was cocaine just like someone would do with a shot. Pretty soon his addiction had expanded.

He's been counseling kids and parents of kids who were straight A students and became hooked on marijuana because the parents smoked it at home and suddenly these A students were failing.

So forgive me if I find someone with actual experience to be more credible than an anonymous poster.

But, that isn't the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is whether Cranbury should allow it's sale and take on all the other issues that go along with its sale from policing, to additional traffic safety issues, to potential drop in property values, etc...

And just like the library thread. I anticipate we'll get posters loving the idea and then not showing up on Monday.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 1:33 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
I am telling you what my good friend who suffered through a major addiction stated as his experience. And your responses are exactly what gets him annoyed.

You know what gets me annoyed? People who mistake anecdotes for data.
anon-0421

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 1:45 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

I believe you are anonymous also.

And as far as selling in Cranbury - they already do for medical. If it they allow Breakwater to become recreational it would be the same. You would not know who goes in and out to buy it.

I have been to other states where it is legal. There are scarier looking people coming out of the liquor store then the dispensary. I have seen people in suits, older people etc, people that you would not think to be buying pot. Bottom line, if they open Breakwater for recreational it is not going to affect the town. If they do not or the town tries to stop it, thats fine, Hightstown will allow it, or the next town over, and these places will be known to everyone - they will be in strip malls etc. So if you are concerned of Breakwater selling when it becomes legal - you might want to rethink trying to stop them. At least Breakwater is not in a strip mall. As where the other places will be next to the pizza place in Hightstown where it is visible.

So forgive me if I find someone with actual experience to be more credible than an anonymous poster.

The point of this thread is whether Cranbury should allow it's sale and take on all the other issues that go along with its sale from policing, to additional traffic safety issues, to potential drop in property values, etc...
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 1:45 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-2163 wrote:
Quote:

You know what gets me annoyed? People who mistake anecdotes for data.

If someone volunteers with people who have issues and he has this experience then it is data. It may not be data you agree with, but it is data from over 20 years of counseling.

What gets me annoyed is people citing studies. I can find statistic to support almost any position.

I would take the experience of someone who is vested in this area over some article or citation by a politician supporting a position.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 1:50 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-0421 wrote:
I believe you are anonymous also.

And as far as selling in Cranbury - they already do for medical. If it they allow Breakwater to become recreational it would be the same. You would not know who goes in and out to buy it.

I have been to other states where it is legal. There are scarier looking people coming out of the liquor store then the dispensary. I have seen people in suits, older people etc, people that you would not think to be buying pot. Bottom line, if they open Breakwater for recreational it is not going to affect the town. If they do not or the town tries to stop it, thats fine, Hightstown will allow it, or the next town over, and these places will be known to everyone - they will be in strip malls etc. So if you are concerned of Breakwater selling when it becomes legal - you might want to rethink trying to stop them. At least Breakwater is not in a strip mall. As where the other places will be next to the pizza place in Hightstown where it is visible.

Just like I do not support being an amnesty town in Cranbury and am okay with Hightstown being one if they choose. I am not okay with my property value declining because we're known for allowing recreational sales, but if that is what Hightstown wants to do that is fine.

With medicinal you at least in theory need a medical condition and sign-off. With recreational it is any one that wants it.

There are policing concerns, value concerns and other issues that open up that cost us financially if allowed.

So let the other towns which there are a few of to do it. I'll be on the side of the many towns and Monmouth Freeholders who oppose it.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 2:06 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone volunteers with people who have issues and he has this experience then it is data. It may not be data you agree with, but it is data from over 20 years of counseling

No, it isn't. It's literally the opposite of data. Using your faulty logic, every person in the world who's friends with a bartender must be an alcoholic. Would you please take a middle school science class before continuing this debate any further? If you don't even know the standard definition of the word data, how can you possibly expect anyone else to support your position?
anon-7933

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 2:18 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

In some case studies, legalization has led to a decrease in opiate abuses....

https://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/16/legal-marijuana-leads-to-less-opiate-use-in-colorado-study-finds/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/10/16/legal-marijuana-is-saving-lives-in-colorado-study-finds/?utm_term=.2a497cba8366

https://drugabuse.com/legalizing-marijuana-decreases-fatal-opiate-overdoses/

And also increased tax income for the state...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/19/news/colorado-marijuana-tax-revenue/index.html

Also I am sorry your friend went down the wrong path. Addiction can be very hard to overcome. However it seems more like the gateway was his(her) friends, not marijuana. That could have been avoided if there were a legal means to acquire and consume as it is with alcohol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5