Solar panel ordinance?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest668-4os8

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 20 2018, 7:32 am EST    Post subject: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

Does the town have any ordinances about solar panels and where they can be placed?

Driving down Ancil Davison I saw a large solar panel installment in someone's backyard coming straight out of the lawn at one of the corner houses and was surprised it was allowed. I am all for solar power and the environment and the idea of panels on roofs and in parking lots but I'd hate to see this trend of ground level in the backyard become pervasive.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 20 2018, 7:53 am EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

There is no ordinance. If someone wants to use their backyard to do solar panels then that is their concern.

We could in fact have our preserved farm land become a large solar field as well since solar is covered under an agricultural use.
anon;oqs8-nnnp

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 20 2018, 8:00 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

Welcome to the real world. Folks in Cranbury should be allowed to do what they want on THEIR property. If you look at the Farmland Preserved property that the taxpayers bought ie: Reinhardt on Plainsboro road, we the taxpayers paid for Preserved Farmland. The "Farmer" has turned that property into an Auto Car Dealership and Housing complex for the Landscape business employees. That type of misuse is unacceptable. Each week there are different cars for sale on that Preserved Farmland. The owner Roy Reinhardt pays only $5,722. in property taxes. Anyone who looks at the number of structures/residences[some without permits?] and commercial buildings on that lot has to realize there is something wrong with the assessment. Unfortunatly Mr. Cook seems to think we are so fortunate to have that land Farmland Assessed. The fact is, it depends on who you know how you are treated. In this case the taxpayer is cheated!. Considering that the Township Committee is so "Cost Concious" maybe they should look beyond the Ivory Tower of town hall.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 20 2018, 8:09 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

anon;oqs8-nnnp wrote:
Welcome to the real world. Folks in Cranbury should be allowed to do what they want on THEIR property. If you look at the Farmland Preserved property that the taxpayers bought ie: Reinhardt on Plainsboro road, we the taxpayers paid for Preserved Farmland. The "Farmer" has turned that property into an Auto Car Dealership and Housing complex for the Landscape business employees. That type of misuse is unacceptable. Each week there are different cars for sale on that Preserved Farmland. The owner Roy Reinhardt pays only $5,722. in property taxes. Anyone who looks at the number of structures/residences[some without permits?] and commercial buildings on that lot has to realize there is something wrong with the assessment. Unfortunatly Mr. Cook seems to think we are so fortunate to have that land Farmland Assessed. The fact is, it depends on who you know how you are treated. In this case the taxpayer is cheated!. Considering that the Township Committee is so "Cost Concious" maybe they should look beyond the Ivory Tower of town hall.

I am not sure I understand your post.

If the farmland is preserved then we the township are benefiting from not having housing.

If you feel that a person should have a right to do what they want on their property then he has a right to do what he wants.

As for the tax assessment preserved or not all farms or even large plots of land (over 6 acres I believe) are able to be "farm land" and benefit from reduced taxes.
anon-5p0n

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 21 2018, 2:59 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

I don't know anywhere in this country "in the real world" where you can do whatever you want on your property. We have all kinds of regulations on what you can and can't do. I can't build a structure closer than X feet of the property line, I can't put a second house on the property without seeking special permission, I can't put certain kinds and heights of fencing, I can't run a commercial business in my part of town on the property, etc. In the context of the many, many zoning restrictions we all live under, the OP asked a straight forward question.

Perhaps the poster who thought we could do whatever we wanted was being aspirational about what he/she thinks the laws should be but they certainly don't resemble reality.
anon-os1r

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 23 2018, 9:44 am EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

anon-s6p5 wrote:

We could in fact have our preserved farm land become a large solar field as well since solar is covered under an agricultural use.

This is not quite the whole story. Solar panels on land limited to agricultural use can only be used to supply power to the farm itself. You are not going to see large solar arrays because of this.
anon;oqr3-nnnp

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 23 2018, 10:01 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

The previous post is incorrect. I suggest you search ON-Farm Solar Energy Generation. The power generated does not have to be used on the farm. However there is a ratio of Solar to "Agriculture". For specific limitations see the SADC State Agriculture Development Commission site to see the 1:5 ratio as well as the maximum amount of power that can be generated. Solar also complies with the State Right to Farm Act. There are also some other limitations listed for Solar on Preserved Farms.
solar-rr1s

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 24 2018, 11:07 am EST    Post subject: Re: Solar panel ordinance? Reply with quote

You are looking at the rules for farmland assessment. Go further down in the presentation you link and read the part on farmland preservation. The previous poster is more or less right. The preserved farm can use solar to power itself with a +10% overage limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1