Budget Article
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 9 2018, 12:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Budget Article Reply with quote

Looks like a new site is established for news.

There is tax increase from the municipal element and we're adding two officers for traffic enforcement.

Good job TC.

https://www.monroenow.com/community/cranbury_township/cranbury-s-budget-funds-traffic-bureau-s-return/article_e3a8808e-38ec-11e8-bdff-cb37afdea95d.html
anon-0421

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 9 2018, 12:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

I wonder if this will stop the trucks coming down Station Rd and Main St. Or at least the drivers be given a ticket. Its ridiculous the amount of tractor trailers.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10 2018, 2:11 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

anon-0421 wrote:
I wonder if this will stop the trucks coming down Station Rd and Main St. Or at least the drivers be given a ticket. Its ridiculous the amount of tractor trailers.

My understanding on this is that Google Maps and the GPS systems all direct truck traffic this way. So until that changes we'll still see this occurring.

However, they can be ticketed so that is good news.
anon-4654

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10 2018, 12:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

When is the blue line being repainted on Main Street?
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 10 2018, 3:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

anon-4654 wrote:
When is the blue line being repainted on Main Street?

The county won't allow it as it violates federal DOT rules.
Ok-4p50

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:05 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Blue is for Handicap.
anon-114n

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 1:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Correct. That is why they did not want it in the middle of the street. But who would park in the middle of the street?

By the way. I also heard the group of indivisible individuals who demanded a civil rights commission in Cranbury Monday night complained that they found the blue line offensive. They felt it was offensive to Black Lives Matter. There was no mention that our police in Cranbury work hard for our community.

I really don’t care about indivisible. But don’t as an extreme political minority who doesn’t even represent most democrats in town (like myself) try to introduce racial issues and tension and therefore destroy what we have where we all respect each other. We should all be aware of what Indivisible is trying to do if they start pressing for things in Cranbury. If they want to focus on state and national issues go for it. These are the people that led to costing Hillary the election. Next they will cost Cranbury our town character and values.
anon-0n35

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 4:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

I was going to take the above with a grain of salt until I saw the Cranbury Press article below. I think the residents of Cranbury need to come out and make our voices heard at the TC that we love Cranbury, we love our character, our neighbors, and appreciate our volunteers and police. We have a very dangerous group of people and a Committeeman in Matt Scott that are attacking everyone without any knowledge of our town. I am concerned that if we don't try and stop this nonsense born of ignorance that we're going to tear the town apart.

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/the_cranbury_press/cranbury-township-committee-urged-to-create-civil-rights-panel/article_76b2f0d4-3db7-11e8-9918-17b5b03e5d9b.html

From the article:

"Jessica Ware, a black resident of Cranbury since 2012, said that 27 percent of the town is made up racial minorities like her. But there are only six minorities serving on government boards and commissions, according to the handout.

“When we see ourselves in offices, when we see ourselves represented in the highest levels of governance, it makes children feel like this is a job that they can do,” said Ware, a Rutgers professor. “It makes people feel like this is something that’s going to be speaking to me and speaking for me.”"

My reply: Ms. Ware I fully agree that we should highlight minorities. But, that means starting at home. Perhaps you should read about Agnes Wilson our first African American Board of Ed member and the work she did to help our schools. How many of the African American families who have been here for generations have contributed and continue to contribute to our town on various boards, commissions and are active leaders in our First Aid Squad. We have minorities shaping our school policy, board of health, and firs aid squad among many other things in town. Perhaps instead of complaining, you should have in 6 years living here submitted an application to volunteer.

Ms. Johnson commented- The handout said women make up 51 percent of the town’s population, but 45 percent of town governance positions.

My reply- Are we using gender discrimination now to hire? Our employment in office positions from looking at the town website is largely women with women in the most key positions - School Business Administrator, Township Administrator, President of the School Board, Zoning Chair, Board of Health Chair, Cable TV Chair, Library Director, Library Board Chair, Enviornmental Commission Chair, Town Historian, Shade Tree (all members are women), Clerk, Deputy Clerk, QPA. We had an individual run for TC and yet I am sure you voted against her.

All of these individuals are in their roles not because of gender, but because they are dedicated and experienced individuals. Your comments are not only based on a non-understanding of the town and how volunteers work, but they diminish the value all these individuals are making by lumping a statistic.

And Ms. Johnson what boards have you and your wife joined? Looking at the town website- Municipal Alliance, EC, Recreation, and HPC all have openings. If you want to boil down to a stat then you and your wife can grow the demographic by two more individuals.

Ms. Johnson again commented- She said the blue line is a symbol of “Blue Lives Matter,” a pro-police organization that she said is against “Black Lives Matter.”

“It’s a slap in the face to every African-American,” she said of the blue line in town. “It was hurtful.”

My response: First I am glad the Mayor challenged her. But what is Ms. Johnson teaching her children? Our police officers came to my house when I had a break in. They have engaged my family on national night out, at the Drug Free Fair and Strawberry Festival. They have told my child to be safe and rewarded them with a coupon for free ice cream when wearing a bike helmet.

Perhaps instead of criticizing our police Ms. Johnson you should take the time to meet with them and engage with them. I guarantee you will not be treated in a negative manner.

However... Perhaps I am most outraged at Matt Scott and his comments brandishing his fellow TC members and our residents as prejudiced and racist.

His comments: “And I know from some of my brothers on the committee and my fellow citizens, they see others as change and as a threat. And I think that, fundamentally, that’s wrong.”

My response: Mr. Scott you have served on the TC for 3 months and missed one meeting already. You have advocated for Marijuana sales in our down town area and are now cutting through the politeness calling our town residents and your committee members as biased individuals by saying these see those as different from them as a threat. I go to many social functions in town where people mix together not as a race, gender or sexual identity, but as Cranbury residents, as parents. I don't know anyone in town who sees it otherwise.

I can assure you most residents know and can attest for the character of your fellow TC members Mr. Mulligan, Mr. Taylor and Mr. Cook with their long term ties to the community and proven actions. And as a member of the Methodist Church I have seen Mr. Johnson volunteer and support others and am sure those parishioners and his fellow Lions will attest to his character as well.

What I am not sure of Mr. Scott is how many of our residents will attest to your character after having you essentially call not just your colleagues, but the residents of Cranbury who are your neighbors prejudiced or racist. And if actions speak louder than words a prime example would be as a qualified EMT why didn't you volunteer on the First Aid Squad?

I know my post is long, but accusations of prejudice, racism and bias are serious. When thrown around they can have dangerous consequences on friendships and the community.

Please do not let this happen to Cranbury.
??-4678

PostPosted: Wed, Apr 11 2018, 7:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

To clarify, is there a claim or insinuation that there is systematic exclusion of people of specific demographics from town service? Having observed town elections and, to a lesser extent, board appointments for a number of years I see (1) that candidates for committee and board appointments tend to be hard to attract each year and (2) no evidence that interested persons are voted in/appointed (or not) based on any discernible set of characteristics. Those who step up and express a willingness to serve in whatever capacity are actually quite welcomed.

I am disappointed by efforts to create division. The comments about recognition (a blue line) for police in our town are simply stunning and sad. I am glad to know that most officers know my child, my home, me, etc. I appreciate the annual community event at the park and opportunities to talk to officers individually. Nice community engagement. The outlandish generalization about how hurtful the blue line on Main is/was doesn't warrant repeating here, but strikes me as ironic in that it seems antithetical to a purported interest in creating a more inclusive and accepting community (i.e., vilify police...isn't that a bit judgmental and divisive?? It is an "us" vs. "them" stance and differentiates or singles out a group of persons). I also wondered if the person making this statement at the meeting has taken time to speak with an officer (or volunteer for a board position).

Reminds me of the counsel: be the change you wish to see...
anon-8253

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 5:00 am EDT    Post subject: What is happening to Cranbury?? Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. I am not a board or commission member, but did serve on one prior. My wife is active in the PTO and I am active with my kids. Neither of has ever come across the individuals named.

This leads me to assume they are not actively engaged in our community and as such have no position to criticize because they do not understand what the town is doing. Knowing how boards work we were always in need of people and when a vacancy happened it was always who can we contact? Often we would have to ask ten or more people. The TC never said no. This is not a job where you are paid, but you do spend time away from family. So I understand why people say no, just as I said no more.

As to Matt Scott. If you think we’re all racists and prejudiced in town then 1) why did you move here and 2) how can you represent us fairly?

This is a very serious accusation to make as a blanket comment and to blanket the town with such vile is really in poor taste from an elected official it is inconceivable. Clearly you look down on those who do not agree with you which is odd since this was a discussion about diversity and inclusion. If I used a racist word at work or said something biased about a person or group as you did I would be held accountable and I think you should be too. Especially since you are in a position of authority. How can we trust you to make a decision without bias?

My mom used to say to me when I got angry and called someone a name: Throwing around insults to win an argument only shows you are not intelligent enough to be getting into the discussion to start.

I think you owe the residents of this town an apology.
anon-186o

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 8:19 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

I’ll take the poster above’s comment further. In addition to women leading those offices the President of the Lions, Historical society, Business Association and of cours Wonan’s club are all women.

Since posters are throwing out adages the old adage about being better thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it applies here. There was no thought behind a stat being thrown. And you’d think two college professors and an elected official would know better. If a student in their class made such claims just using one stat and ignoring the data I am sure they’d get an F.
anon123-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 10:05 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Well I don't know Holly Johnson, but I do know Jessica Ware. She's actually quite wonderful. A little offbeat, perhaps, but warm, kind and funny in addition to being mind-blowingly brilliant. (I could tell you all about her career as an evolutionary biologist, but it's all there on her Wikipedia page, if you're so inclined.)

But because I do know her, and know how incredibly hard she works as a scientist, professor and a single mother, I have to stand up and say that it's incredibly arrogant to suggest that if she wants to effect change in the town she lives in that she should simply volunteer to sit on the Recreation Committee.

Matt Scott is NOT calling his colleagues racists. He is listening to a black woman and a gay woman when they are saying that they are sometimes made to feel "othered." He is hearing them and supporting them. Maybe some of you could do that, instead of taking to this board to tell a single mother with multiple jobs and positions that she shouldn't complain unless she joins the Municipal Alliance.
anon-10rr

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 10:55 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Maybe if she is complaining that there aren’t enough women on the boards which is what she is doing then she should volunteer. She is jumping to establishing a civil rights commission.

She is stating that a civil rights commission is needed because of of a lack of diversity in the boards and women being under represented. A civil rights commission doesn’t solve that issue. Volunteering and offering to Volunteer does. The TC is not passing over people. No one is raising a hand up and saying i’ll Help.

But if she doesn’t have time as you suggest then don’t complain that all boards have a lack of women on them and that the only fix is a civil rights commission. And maybe try to understand what women and minorities have done to make Cranbury a better place. And they should not make it seem like the town is racist with because the TC chose to support the police.

Further, you are saying she has no time to volunteer. So you are suggesting she is pushing for a civil rights commission and then will walk away and not volunteer to be on it? If she doesn’t have time to volunteer that is fine. But she is speaking in DC at indivisible rallies. Just google her name. In six years all boards have had openings and to my knowledge never applied to volunteer. Is the only board with any value to her or this group a civil rights board? Those are just boards with openings today I presume.

I also find it insulting that a single mom can’t have time to volunteer as you seem to suggest. My ex-wife is a wonderful volunteer in many activities, works and is also a wonderful mother and yes still single. I think she would explode if I ever suggested she not volunteer or is hampered by her lifestyle and work.

Matt Scott clearly states that if you don’t agree in the civil rights commission then you are threatened by others. It is not a case of maybe that Cranbury doesn’t need it because our community doesn’t really have these issues. Look at what is happening already. How else do you take that statement? He didn’t just say I understand and thank you. He went further saying if you are not approving of this you are threatened by this. What other reason to feel threatened would there be? He should be held accountable.
anon123-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 11:46 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

You know, I thought about it a bit more, and I will concede that the idea of forming an entirely new commission for the sole purpose of supporting women and minorities who want to get involved in local government when there are half a dozen existing boards and committees that are actively seeking new members seems...a bit superfluous.

But the fact that I don't necessarily believe that such a committee is needed or warranted doesn't change the fact that there are obviously people in town that believe it is. (According to the Cranbury Press article, supporters "packed" the room.) And I do believe that it's important to hear them. What I don't understand is why so many are so quick to shout "We don't need that, there are openings on the Shade Tree Commission, get out of here with your dog whistle 'Civil Rights Commission!"

Matt Scott is correct. People hear words like "diversity" and "minority" and immediately assume that this means BLM demonstrations at Heritage Park and it scares the crap out of them. Deny it all you want. This town has a damn committee for everything from trees to tennis camps but nobody loses their mind until someone says the word "Diversity."
anon-4p33

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 11:56 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

The Township Administrator/CFO for the last 9-10 years is female. There have been female administrators before that going back 25-30 years. Township Clerk and Deputy Clerk both female. Both Have served for many years. The Township Clerk who is retiring is being replaced with another female. There have been female mayors going back to at least the 1970’s. The Superintendent of the school is female. So is the Vice-Principal. The previous superintendent also female. There are female department heads, police officers, volunteer fire and first aid. This does not take into account the many other commitees and boards over the years run by females.
Guest127-n6o0

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 5:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

“anon-On35” could not have said it better. A civil rights commission in Cranbury? I really can’t believe this topic was even raised. Those who knew Agnes Wilson know she would be disappointed that this topic was even discussed. This is not who we were and not who we are. If you are one of those who feel that we need such a commission, maybe you should look inward and not to the town into which you moved. In my lifetime, we’ve been as diverse as one can be. It did not matter if you lived on Main Street or behind Haggerty’s. As kids we went to school together, played together, and ate at my house together. What is changing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30