Cranbury Fire District
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2022, 10:22 am EST    Post subject: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

The Cranbury Fire Company always places resident safety above all else. We not only provide fire services, but host programs in the school, attend community events, and are fellow residents ingrained our the community.

We believe long-term planning and transparency are important. Over the past few years, we have been working toward a plan of implementing a Fire District that will enable the Fire Company to provide a high level of service while offering increased transparency and accountability to residents.

We are asking Cranbury residents to sign this petition to implement a Fire District and keep Cranbury a Volunteer Fire Company that places residents first.

The advantages include:

• Ensuring there are dedicated funds allocated to the response within the community

• Tax levies by the fire district will free up the town property tax revenues

• It provides a consistent and stable budget. This enables the fire district to implement long range planning and purchasing plans

• Eliminates the instability of funding from year to year due to annual negotiations with the governing body

• Provides transparency as it operates under state laws and regulations

• Provides for self governance, positive morale and a focal point of responsibility to residents

• A District is an individual governmental entity, governed by state laws and not subject to political change

• Provides stable governance and management, not subject to the fiscal pressures of others

• Can concentrate on the sole mission the provision of fire protection

• Town politics are removed from fire district governance and operations

• The State has greater oversight over fire districts and unlike town controlled departments, there is increased accountability. That includes annual audits and a host of regulations laid out in state statute.
6 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
At 100 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Share this petition

Petition to implement a Fire District in the Township of Cranbury

https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-implement-a-fire-district-in-the-township-of-cranbury?recruiter=1286082552&recruited_by_id=cc126670-65b4-11ed-836f-3faab8f56c82&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_medium=copylink&fbclid=IwAR1VwT9izIw3huY1GhCo2WY9kWp7gYt8x5eM7fQtaWx0S3l_VmC7_i5NqnY
anon-p26r

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:41 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

Provided the TC’s true concern is transparency and accountability to residents they should be 100% behind this solution. As residents, we should be behind it too and sign.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 1 2022, 9:21 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

anon-p26r wrote:
Provided the TC’s true concern is transparency and accountability to residents they should be 100% behind this solution. As residents, we should be behind it too and sign.

Can we see the current Bylaws of the CVF? Who can post them here. Others asked for a pdf link on the other thread, but nothing happening there. No willingness to share?

Since several CVF threaten to not show up when there is a need, I am all for supporting a professional, paid staff. Yeah, taxes go up, but at least we will have a written agreement and staff that is not threatening and calling the TC names when they blow their lid.
anon-np4o

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 1 2022, 10:16 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

anon-s316 wrote:
anon-p26r wrote:

Can we see the current Bylaws of the CVF? Who can post them here. Others asked for a pdf link on the other thread, but nothing happening there. No willingness to share?

Since several CVF threaten to not show up when there is a need, I am all for supporting a professional, paid staff. Yeah, taxes go up, but at least we will have a written agreement and staff that is not threatening and calling the TC names when they blow their lid.

That's such a good idea. Who cares if our taxes go up. I mean we just let them build all these warehouses to keep taxes down. A few tc members got their feelings hurt now we attack the FC. What bs all of this is. If we have a paid FC we are talking thousands of dollars per person on their taxes. There go our property values. People move here because of how low we have kept taxes. Not anymore.
anon-n07q

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 1 2022, 11:47 am EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

anon-s316 wrote:
anon-p26r wrote:

Instead of always posting here and trolling insulting people maybe spend more time focused on your role on the TC.
anon-opr0

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 1 2022, 1:55 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

[quote="Michael"The State has greater oversight over fire districts and unlike town controlled departments, there is increased accountability. [/quote]

Why would state rather than local control be better for me as a local taxpayer?

This is the same state that wants our school to be merged with a neighboring town's worse school district. The same state that runs the turnpike. The same state that wasted billions in tax breaks for the mega mall int he Meadowlands. The same state that is run by corrupt politicians (from both parties over time).

I can't imagine anything less appealing than willingly ceding oversight of anything to "the state" or anything less credible as "accountable."

At least with township elected officials we can vote them out, as we're all welcome to do if you don't like what's going on now. However is is accomplished or structured, and I'm not suggesting the TC proposal is the right way, I would much rather see our fire department subject to local taxpayer control and oversight.
anon-p0q2

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 1 2022, 2:28 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Cranbury Fire District Reply with quote

anon-opr0 wrote:
[quote="Michael"The State has greater oversight over fire districts and unlike town controlled departments, there is increased accountability.

Why would state rather than local control be better for me as a local taxpayer?

This is the same state that wants our school to be merged with a neighboring town's worse school district. The same state that runs the turnpike. The same state that wasted billions in tax breaks for the mega mall int he Meadowlands. The same state that is run by corrupt politicians (from both parties over time).

I can't imagine anything less appealing than willingly ceding oversight of anything to "the state" or anything less credible as "accountable."

At least with township elected officials we can vote them out, as we're all welcome to do if you don't like what's going on now. However is is accomplished or structured, and I'm not suggesting the TC proposal is the right way, I would much rather see our fire department subject to local taxpayer control and oversight.[/quote]

The control of a Fire District is local.

- You elect the officials and can vote them out.
- You vote on the budget and can vote it down.

If the town ever has to have paid people in a district you can vote and go per diem and hire just a few people if you need them.

If you have to pay a small shift of workers then you can't do it under the current model as the state law caps the town contribution at $154K. That isn't sufficient to pay people and operate. You'll either need to go district then or you will have to go fully paid at that point.

There is no choice to stay as is and hire per diem people.

If you go Department you have to have a fully paid Fire Co. That means all paid, all benefits, and millions in expense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1