NICE Job at Township Committee Meeting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 10 2008, 12:24 pm EDT    Post subject: NICE Job at Township Committee Meeting Reply with quote

As reported by the Cranbury Conservative, Neighbors packed the Township Committee Meeting last night to express concerns about Ordinance 04-08-11, which would have set new standards for density, height and total units for affordable housing developments in Cranbury, at a particularly inopportune time. With the support of the neighbors, concerned citizens and resident experts, the TC chose to allow the Ordinance to die. However, based on the fact that this Ordinance was drafted and reviewed by the appropriate people, and then passed the first reading by the TC with a vote of 5-0, this was definately a close call.

The inconvenient truth is, the Township is under increasing pressure to build affordable housing, our obligation is growing under virtually any set of circumstances and we are running out of practical places to build. Although CHA has done an excellent job of building affordable housing in the past, under these circumstances, there are reasons to be concerned about future developments.

In order to protect the neighborhoods of the township from zoning ordinances that approve "potentially devestating proportions" of affordable housing, I hope the Planning Board and Township Committee will consider an ordinance limiting density to 8 units per acre for affordable "family" housing and limiting the total unit size to no more than 50% of the size of the adjacent neighborhoods. My understanding is, both of these provisions would be consistent with what has already been built and this would save our citizens from attempts to maximize the COAH value of township properties to the potential deteriment of the adjacent neighborhoods, and our new neighbors who will occupy these homes. An ordinance of this type may also offer some protection, in the event Cranbury decides to drop out of COAH.

I would like to thank the neighbors and concerned citizens who came to the meeting. I appreciate that the TC let the Ordinance die and for the opportunity for residents to speak. I also appreciate the candor of Wayne Wittman and the expertise of Mark Berkowsky, despite potentially differing viewpoints. I hope we can move forward together to continue building affordable housing we can all be proud of- developments that emanate and encourage the small town values we all share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1