Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Financial | Stocks | Mutual Funds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 15 2008, 11:17 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Yes, we vote her in but Robert's is the Speaker of the Assembly. He can easily freeze her out and has to work with them; WE DON'T. You don't think he has the same power as a CEO? You are seriously mistaken.

If he has that power it is because of attitudes like yours that seems to accept that corruption from our elected officials. There are plenty of people in Congress and other State legislatures that manage not to vote the party line every time. The way to improve NJ's broken system is to stop letting it operate like that. We can do that with our votes. Stop letting our officials show allegience to the system and remain in office. Otherwise we deserve our reputation for having some of the worst corruption in the country.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 15 2008, 11:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

Jersey Dad wrote:
It is my understanding that Baroni and Greenstein are working together with Township and COAH officials. As a moderate, I admire their ability to put their partisan differences aside in the best interests of their constituents. As a resident voter, I expect both to make a meaningful difference.

Are you kidding? This is exactly the problem. Why are we giving her credit for bipartisanship and making a difference? She has always appeared with Baroni. But he actually votes for us and she consistently votes the line regardless of what she says in meetings. That is not putting partisan differences aside. I am a moderate too, but I respect actual results and integrity and she has demonstrated neither. Baroni has demonstrated both. I am a Democrat but may join TC member TP in leaving the party out of disgust for the Democrats in NJ. It is really depressing to see how they have demeaned the party. But its even worse to see people accept it and even laud the politicians who contribute to the problem.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 16 2008, 7:56 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

I actually support a lot of Linda's votes- she did vote no on the sales tax and elimination of the death penalty. She is very pleasant in person and does show up to our meetings and town events. She shows up more than Baroni. However, she is also a partisan individual, she is not going to cross party lines on key votes. The difference is she's good at guaging things and knowing when to take shots personally on votes that are not important to the party. Thus keeping up appearances.

At Cranbury day she was asked by more than a few people about COAH and her vote (just using an example not to bring it up again, but it's all I have for this example). When questioned her first response was are you a republican or democrat. Why should that make a difference to her? When told she responded along the lines of most democrats understand my reasoning and the way things work in Trenton, the republicans do not. To me that is one of the problems I have and while I do support Linda, the fact that she makes party line statements like this and talks down ro members of the other party drives me insane at times because it undermines the good work she has done. It also makes me question whether as Deputy Speaker she'll truly push our cause. I want her to and we have to work with her, but in the back of my mind I have a fear that she's not going to be standing up there at the end of the day and be willing to take any heat for our town because this issue is so key for the party.
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:12 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]

Jersey Dad wrote:
It is my understanding that Baroni and Greenstein are working together with Township and COAH officials. As a moderate, I admire their ability to put their partisan differences aside in the best interests of their constituents. As a resident voter, I expect both to make a meaningful difference.

Guest wrote:

Are you kidding? This is exactly the problem.

No, I'm not kidding. Baroni and Greenstein should be working together toward a solution. I'm not sure how this can be considered "the problem". In fact, I consider their cooperation to be a good example of setting aside differences to focus on common, urgent objectives. As neighbors, perhaps we can follow their example.

Guest wrote:

Why are we giving her credit for bipartisanship and making a difference? She has always appeared with Baroni. But he actually votes for us and she consistently votes the line regardless of what she says in meetings. That is not putting partisan differences aside. I am a moderate too, but I respect actual results and integrity and she has demonstrated neither. Baroni has demonstrated both.

I support both Baroni and Greenstein in their efforts to fight for Cranbury. I am not aware of either demonstrating "actual results" on COAH3, yet. I discussed some ideas with Linda at Cranbury Day and I expect her to take action in the fall session. I did not get a chance to speak with Bill.

Guest wrote:

I am a Democrat but may join TC member TP in leaving the party out of disgust for the Democrats in NJ. It is really depressing to see how they have demeaned the party. But its even worse to see people accept it and even laud the politicians who contribute to the problem.

Moderates don't have to leave the Democratic Party. Under Corzine, the Democratic Party left moderates in the dust. I agree that apathy is a major part of the problem and I intend to work on energizing moderates to support change in 2009. If you're interested in working together, let's catch up. I attend most TC meetings and I am PM enabled on this site.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:25 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

Jersey Dad wrote:
Moderates don't have to leave the Democratic Party. Under Corzine, the Democratic Party left moderates in the dust. I agree that apathy is a major part of the problem and I intend to work on energizing moderates to support change in 2009. If you're interested in working together, let's catch up. I attend most TC meetings and I am PM enabled on this site.

My problem with the Democratic Party in NY goes way beyond Corzine. The fundamental problem seems systemic to the party here. There is a massive lapse of basic ethics. Roberts is even worse than Corzine. The idea that the party is loyal to its own leadership and to major interest groups like Unions or developers rather than to the citizens is disgusting. Even locally, Stout and the other two remaining Democrats have muted our Township's response to COAH out of allegience to or fear of the State Democratic Party. That is truly disturbing to me. It is unethical and I don't want any part of such compromised leadership. Cranbury is too small to have people in elected positions mroe concerned with their own interests than the welfare of the Township.

I have lived in multiple states. While politicians can be "politicians" everywhere and special interests mattering more than individual citizens is pretty much a given globally, it is not as bad in most places (in the US) as New Jersey. The difference as far as I can tell is that the citizenry in the Tri-State area seems more resigned and accepting of it. No one likes it, per se, but we keep voting for people who are contributors to the problem. I think it probably doesn't help that the percentage of Union members to total voter base in NJ and NY is higher and they vote as a block as they are told to. Which raises a bigger issue for me -- the Democratic Party's relationship with unions as a whole leaves me feeling very uncomfortable as a member of the party. I have had to work closely with unions in my job and while I historically recognize their vital contribution, I think they are almost entirely corrupt institutions now. So associating with them is not much different than associating with the Mob. And ethically I hold myself to a higher standard than that.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:28 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

Jersey Dad wrote:
I support both Baroni and Greenstein in their efforts to fight for Cranbury. I am not aware of either demonstrating "actual results" on COAH3, yet. I discussed some ideas with Linda at Cranbury Day and I expect her to take action in the fall session. I did not get a chance to speak with Bill.

I will believe it when I see it. Did you get into specific actual action plans with her? She has a long history of saying all the right things to us and never doing it then coming back and telling us she did all she could and convincing us her working within the system will help us in the end. But you never see the light at the end of that tunnel.

She has burned us at least three times in recent history in such a fashion. This isn't baseball but at some point she needs to be called out for it...
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 16 2008, 5:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Lehman Likely to File for Bankruptcy Protection Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Jersey Dad wrote:

This isn't baseball but at some point she needs to be called out for it...

This year, my sole focus is our obligation. Next year is a key election year and I look forward to holding all of our politicians accountable for their actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Financial | Stocks | Mutual Funds All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3