Looking to Buy a House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 10 2006, 5:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

I have a real estate agent and will be seeing some houses in Cranbury tonight. However, if anyone knows of any for sale by owner properties please let me know. Price range 650-925k. Thanks.
john

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 10 2006, 6:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Art wrote:
I have a real estate agent and will be seeing some houses in Cranbury tonight. However, if anyone knows of any for sale by owner properties please let me know. Price range 650-925k. Thanks.

Most of this year's for-sale-by-owner homes that I know of became agent listed homes. The market is a buyer's market now...

I also have seen post-card ads from real estate agents that boast 'sold-in-a-day (or a week)' kind of deals. Theses homes are all fair-priced (or under-priced) and in good location (away from traffic noise).

With your price range, you will have more than 95% of the houses that are on the market now to choose from.

If I were to spend that much money for a home, I'll pick location over price. Wink

BTW, have you seen this one?

http://cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=1020
Art

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that tonight. I could see where others would like it, but the exterior does not hold appeal for me personally. Since its in a development, the neighboring houses are quite similar in appearance -- personally, I don't really care for any of them. Shame because it is in a good location and backs preservation land.
The people that live there should feel pride in ownership - they are nice houses - just not our thing.

Not sure what you call the development, but there are quite a few houses in the price range we are looking in the stites/perrine/bodine/old trenton development, and one on neighboring danser. Its a matter of personal preference of course, but I find many of those homes quite attractive. The home on Silver is quite nice also, although probably too much money for us.
john

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 10 2006, 11:04 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned this one in particular is because I prefer a quiet location and privacy. I don't want to be waked up by traffic noise in the morning, and I prefer a bigger lot.

When I was looking for a home in Cranbury, I liked the moden design of the houses in the 'stites/perrine/bodine' areas (Cranbuey Greene), but I did not buy it there because of the smaller lot and the close proximity to RT-130.

I liked the houses in Silvers Lane, too. I could not afford to buy one there, either. By looking at the map, it seems the houses there are also close to RT-130.

This one on Danser Dr. looks very nice on the photo. The location is not too close to RT-130.

http://cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=945
Art

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 11 2006, 5:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Yeah we saw that one. It is indeed fairly nice, probably my top choice if we cannot afford 16 Silver.

So this is one of 3 homes in Cranbury Green that are all like 879. A fourth that is closer to Rt 130 and is empty (=motivated seller) is 799. Any opinion on what they are really worth?
john

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 11 2006, 9:17 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Most seller want their home sold by the time the school starts, so your timing is prety good.

Check out the recent home sales pricing records here:

http://www.cranbury.info/viewforum.php?f=20

It seems Cranbury Green homes are tougher to sell this year.

Based on my records:

5 Danser Dr. was sold around 5/2002 for $495,100.
12 Danser Dr. was sold around 7/2004 for $700,000.
18 Silvers Ln. was sold around 9/2001 for $700,000.
19 Silvers Ln. was sold around 8/2003 for $780,000.
10 Stites Dr. was sold around 9/2005 for $820,000.
11 Stites Dr. was sold around 7/2005 for $900,000.

The market is soft now; if there is no competing buyer (ask the seller's agent or your agent) for a house you like, then make a -$20K offer and see what happens.
Art

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 11 2006, 9:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Very helpful comparables.

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 12:28 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

You keep saying it is a buyers market to suggest that buyers can get very competitive pricing, but why do you assume the seller's are acknowledging this notion?

We just bid on one of the highest priced listing in Cranbury. It has been on the market for over three months (first as a FSBO then with an agent). The seller's agent, our buyer's agent and their mutual branch manager broker (same agency for both) all encouraged us to put in a bid below ask since we still thought it was high and we not going to bid. The manager broker even set the ask price himself (didn’t even want to know what we would pay up to, because he said that the offer they were putting out was the fair market offer based on the comps and current market conditions). Not only did the seller’s not accept it, they apparently were insulted to even be offered more than slightly below list. In the end their best offer was 0.7% below the listing price. And that is with zero other offers to date, less than one person even viewing the home a week and an ask price that is still higher than any sale ever in the neighborhood and 40% above what they paid just 3 years ago. And apparently the owner is a real estate broker (though not the sellers broker in this case) and has already relocated out of the market…

Clearly not everyone has got the message that it is a "buyers market." The agents involved, on both sides, are completely exasperated by the seller, but hey, it's their home and they are entitled to still believe that prices are going up-up-up. My point is, from what I have heard, they are not alone. That is why inventories are so high. The broker manager shared an interesting stat with me. He says their firm has almost exactly the same number of buyers this year as last year. The only difference is they are not buying as quickly because there is still such a gap between what the buyers collectively set as the market and what sellers have accepted. In other words, a lot of sellers are being stubborn about accepting the change in the market. They saw their neighbors cash in during the last couple of years and they expect a similar return on investment, with interest for the last year – despite the fact, according to the brokers, that prices realistically should be about what they were 16-18 months ago…

In any event, good luck to you. Not all seller’s are in denial. And ultimately, even if the one for the house you love is, remember that at even the current prices it is worth it is you expect to live in it long term…

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 12:35 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

[quote="john"]
Art wrote:

BTW, have you seen this one?

http://cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=1020

We saw this just before it formally listed. Nice location and a lot of potential but it needs a lot of work and is asking way too high for the current market. There have been very few sales in that range in Shadow Oaks, especially along Washington (the busiest street), and the market is soft not setting new records. Our broker, who has lived in that neighborhood for years, thinks it is still a full $100K overpriced...
john

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 8:44 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

I did not see the inside of the house, so I cannot tell whether it is well kept. But I am not surprised to know it may need a lot of work. Wink

Given that the house on 11 Washington Dr. just 'sold in a week' for the full asking price of $799,000, and this one has better location and a pool, I believe it will be purchased in a short time if it were listed for $779,000 (i.e., $10K less).

This corner home on Washington Dr. is under contract now:
http://cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=782

The asking price is $929,000. Do you know the agree-upon price? (This one seems to be well kept.)

Another one (on Hardley Dr.) that is on the market since last November is asking for $759,900. It looks like a nice house, but the for-sale sign just stays there (maybe because it has a tennis court in the backyard?).

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 10:39 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

john wrote:
I did not see the inside of the house, so I cannot tell whether it is well kept. But I am not surprised to know it may need a lot of work. Wink

Given that the house on 11 Washington Dr. just 'sold in a week' for the full asking price of $799,000, and this one has better location and a pool, I believe it will be purchased in a short time if it were listed for $779,000 (i.e., $10K less).

This corner home on Washington Dr. is under contract now:
http://cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=782

The asking price is $929,000. Do you know the agree-upon price? (This one seems to be well kept.)

Another one (on Hardley Dr.) that is on the market since last November is asking for $759,900. It looks like a nice house, but the for-sale sign just stays there (maybe because it has a tennis court in the backyard?).

I don't know what the $929K one sold for in the end, but it sat on the market for a very long time. It was substantially upgraded on the inside. We didn't like the location which made for a back yard dominated by a (nice) pool with only an exposed side yard decent grass area, etc. Both it and the $799K one are in much better condition than the interior of the 28 Washington house -- which does not "show well," as the brokers would say. You have to get past the condition of the interior and imagine the excellent potential after fresh paint and carpet and other updates (possibly a new roof, etc.).

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 10:53 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

guest wrote:

In any event, good luck to you. Not all seller’s are in denial. And ultimately, even if the one for the house you love is, remember that at even the current prices it is worth it is you expect to live in it long term…

To clarify my post from above, I hold no animosity toward the sellers. I firmly believe it is their property and therefore their right to sell or not sell at any price. And perhaps if they are patient enough they may get their price (or close to it), either because a buyer comes along who is not very sensitive to the market or just loves the house at any price and has confidence in staying long enough to fully ride and down market back up again before a sale price would matter again. More power to them, really… We are mostly philosophical about the process (aided by already being owners with no imperative to sell or buy until the right house and opportunity comes along) but if there is any annoyance it is simply with the brokers for encouraging an aggressive bid in the first place and stretching out a process that if they had been honestly reporting the seller’s position we would have known was a waste of time…

A word of caution for others – you never know what is in the head of a seller or what is motivating them. Relo doesn’t automatically make them a “motivated” seller, etc. And don’t count on your agent to give you advice in your interests. They want to get you to buy a house and do so as quickly as possible (since their main contribution is their time and the quicker you buy, they less they had to invest). Often that means they may encourage you to pay too much. In this case the opposite happened – knowing we wouldn’t entertain an offer near the listing price, we were convinced to invest in a lower bid suggested by the agent. In hindsight it was a long shot by the agent to try and close a sale where there otherwise would have been no offer. And in the process it probably put the seller off against countering with a more reasonable middle ground, though, again, who knows what’s really in the seller’s head…

Good luck everyone. Cranbury is a nice place to settle. Good news is inventory is very high so there are lots of options and with patience it will certainly work out for those committed to buying there…
john

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 12:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

guest wrote:

We are mostly philosophical about the process (aided by already being owners with no imperative to sell or buy until the right house and opportunity comes along) but if there is any annoyance it is simply with the brokers for encouraging an aggressive bid in the first place and stretching out a process that if they had been honestly reporting the seller’s position we would have known was a waste of time…

About the sellers being stubborn, let's see what happens when the for-sale sign is covered with snow...

The key is to be able tell a bargain from one fishing for the highest bid. To be able to do that you either need to have a very good agent on your side, or you have do your own homework.

My experience is that from time to time there will be a house priced to sell (maybe the owners decided to split or the seller's agent wants a quick profit).

I bought my house by noticing the listing on the Web before my agent noticed and made an offer on the spot with a lucky agent I had never met before; he answered my phone, showed the house to me, and pocketed the commission in the end. The house was under contract before the for-sale sign was up (no chance for a bidding war. Wink The seller's agent told me that after I signed the contract, poeple were calling and wanted to pay the full asking price).

I knew the house was under-priced, and the owners were eager to sell for personal reasons (the house was listed in October).

Once people bought a nice house in a good location in Cranbury, they will not give it up easily, because the school is good, the property tax is low, the neghboorhood is nice, and the supply of homes for sale is moderate (as compared to the neighboring towns).

Best wishes!
Art

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 15 2006, 1:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

I saw the home with the tennis court. One tends to forget how big a tennis court is. It looks majorly out of place in a yard of this size. The house is partially updated, still dated in places. Might be a good deal for an ardent tennis player willing to do some work, but its not for everyone.

Sounds like there is at least one other buyer in my price range. Lets try not to get into any bidding wars, eh?
Ben

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2006, 9:59 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

guest wrote:

To clarify my post from above, I hold no animosity toward the sellers. I firmly believe it is their property and therefore their right to sell or not sell at any price. And perhaps if they are patient enough they may get their price (or close to it), either because a buyer comes along who is not very sensitive to the market or just loves the house at any price and has confidence in staying long enough to fully ride and down market back up again before a sale price would matter again. More power to them, really… …

I think you are being too easy on the sellers. Sellerwho are holding out for prices above last years sales are basically ripping off buyers. It isn't illegal but it is selfish and unethical. They are saying they expect the buyer to take an instant hit on their equity to fund the extra level of profit on top of what they are already getting for no good reason other than that they think they are entitled to it. If a buyer pays at or more than what comp homes sold for last year that is what they are doing-immediately losing up to 10% of their value and therefore even more of their equity based on what they could sell it for to the typical buyer more conscious of the current market values. It could take several years in a slower growth market just to reach break-even again. The National Association of Realtors just released data that affirms this. It specifically showed that Central New Jersey had lost value since last year. If this seller is really in real estate he/she would know that meaning it is an intentional rip-off.
john

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 17 2006, 10:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Looking to Buy a House Reply with quote

Most home owners will be sellers some time in the future.

I have nothing against a seller trying to make a handsome profit. It takes two parties to make a deal, so as long as the buyer is willing to pay the price, it's a deal.

If a seller sets an overly high price on the property, then the risk is that there could be no deal in the near future. If that's ok with the seller, no complains here. As a buyer, I'll definitely avoid such a property.

There are more selections in today's market, and that means less bidding wars and more motivated sellers. That's all good news for the buyers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> House For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1