crazy nutty stupid driving pattern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publius

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 13 2007, 9:10 pm EST    Post subject: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

So, who is the genius who designed the plan for vehicles entering & exiting Schoolhouse Road? One, road in, one road out???????
The minivans block up the road like the Garden State Parkway on a Sunday night in the Summer!!!!!!!!
Can't we use some of that tax money raised from the recent assessment to build some new access roads and signage????????
Will the money be used to plaster "George Washington slept here" signs all over town?
You can use Park Place West, the corner of Bunker Hill & Prospect, that dirt road that goes behind the school that goes to the soccer fields. Come on people, make some noise and get something done!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The police do a pretty good job, depending on which officer is on duty. Some encourage drivers leaving the school to only make a right turn. GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!Those making a left should be able to use a different road, like those two mentioned above!!!!!!!!!!!
It can't be that hard to make a road. Use gravel instead of asphalt if it saves a few bucks. But, THIS IS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW, COME ON............WHO IS WITH ME?????????????????????

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 7:10 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Here's an idea...walk your kid to school instead of driving.
I agree

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 8:58 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

As the student number increases, Cranbury needs to re-evaluate the traffic pattern around the Town Hall area.

Instead of wasting energy and resources on building the baseball field, the town should pay more attention to more needed matters, like reducing congestion around schoolhouse road and improving the look and feel on the Main Street. This will also help attract visitors and shoppers to the Main Street area.
Main Streeter

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 10:26 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

I have to agree...while walking is great, it is not always an option for parents who have to drop off multiple kids to multiple locations then drive to work.

With that said, the new dismissal policy is also creating additional chaos on Main Street. With the rains yesterday, I witnessed many kids running across Main Street from the gravel access road and almost 2 accidents w/ cars turning around in the middle of the road. The only police presence there is a car stationed to prevent people from driving up the gravel drive to the back of the school area.

We are investing a million dollars on a baseball field no one seems to want. Our taxes have gone up, but the main area of interest for many families in Cranbury, isn't being addressed. Our kids education and safety should be at the forefront. A good school with exceptional teachers, staff & administrators, and a safe town. This safety includes getting our kids to and from school.

Just to add to the mix, why don't people just slow down on Main Street. The speed is 25 mph and folks fly down the road. Why not put speed bumps on Main Street? Why not give people tickets for speeding?

Why don't we focus on the big picture issues in Cranbury, not a baseball field?

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:06 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Concerning speeding (not just on Main St., but ALL 25mph roads in Cranbury) -- it seems that the police do not issue tickets like they used to (my reference would be mid '90s). There used to be police constantly radaring on Plainsboro road -- now it is rare. And when I do see them radaring, it is usually later in the night, never during rush hour. I'm not sure of the reasons for the perceived reduction in speed monitoring. It could be that Cranbury uses Plainsboro's court, so they dont want to overcrowd it? I dont know. Perhaps someone has studied this and has the facts.

As for dropping students off -- beat the crowd and get there at 8am. Believe me, you'll have no problem getting in and out!!
radar

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 11:52 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

My experience is that during rush hours most cars drive slowly because there are likely to have many cars ahead of a given car, so there is no use trying to rush ahead.

Having a police car parked on Main Street monitoring drivers will scare visitors away and affect the business of local shops.

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 4:37 pm EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

GREAT IDEA!
I'll get up at 5Surprisedo a.m. and walk pat your house and wake you up too, you nitwit!

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 4:37 pm EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

GREAT IDEA!
I'll get up at 5:00 a.m. and walk past your house and wake you up too, you nitwit!
FL

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 14 2007, 8:55 pm EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

I think the most effective way is to add bussing to more areas. Adding one bus will eliminate 30 cars driving through Main Street and Schoolhouse Road. I am currently not in bussing area but I don’t mind share the cost if the school bussing service is available.

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:07 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

What does getting up at 5 am have to do with anything?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16 2007, 10:45 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

One reader suggested walking kids to school to reduce traffic congestion. How long does it take for a small kid to walk 2 to 3 miles to school (assuming safety is not an issue, the weather is good, and the kid is fairly robust)?
FL

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16 2007, 1:17 pm EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

This is why i am proposing to extend bus service. it will reduce traffic and save time for parents. any thought?

>One reader suggested walking kids to school to reduce traffic congestion. How long does it take for a small kid to walk 2 to 3 miles to school (assuming safety is not an issue, the weather is good, and the kid is fairly robust)?

PostPosted: Sun, Dec 16 2007, 6:25 pm EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

FL wrote:
This is why i am proposing to extend bus service. it will reduce traffic and save time for parents. any thought?

Is it possible to gather a group kids say in Cranbury Green and hire a school bus company to bus the kids? The parents will need to initiate, organize, and pay for such a service.
Jeff M.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17 2007, 10:28 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

One reader suggested walking kids to school to reduce traffic congestion. How long does it take for a small kid to walk 2 to 3 miles to school (assuming safety is not an issue, the weather is good, and the kid is fairly robust)?

If you are 2 or more miles away then you have bus service. Shadow Oaks is less than the requirement and has bus service due to the Old Trenton Road. However, I know many parents who still drive their kids on the way to work. Personally, I think that is fine if you can do it as it gives you a bit more time with the family, but realize the benefit that you are spending time with the kids. I wish my schedule permitted this.

School House Rd. is congested, but, it has been that way forever and IMO I like the look.

I remember complaining about wasting time in traffic. My co-worker looked at me and said yes it's a pain, but do you really account for every 5 or 10 minutes in your life. What will that 5 minutes bring when you are just sitting watching TV later on doing nothing.

The reason I say this is that this traffic is a common occurance and therefore it can be planned around.

Right now, the town is in sever debt and more money is being spent on ball fields and other projects that are non-essential. It would be better to advocate getting the finances back on track and then doing the road than to push for more expenses at this time.

In terms of speeding, yes it is getting worse. Back in the 90's the police were everywhere. I think the court being in Plainsboro is one issue as another poster stated. I also would like to see the unmanned car with the cracked bumper be used as a real car once in a while. I know people who have told me so long as I see the crack I know I'm safe.

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17 2007, 11:21 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

After the baseball field is built, will it make the traffic worse around the town hall area?

I hope the mayor (Mr. Stout) will follow through his campaign promise:

Quote:

The mayor says that open space and farmland preservation, as well as historic preservation, are important issues for him. He says that Cranbury has been very successful at preserving open space, and hopes to continue to preserve these areas.

Mr. Stout also lists traffic safety as a focus for him in the township, and says that it is important for the town to maintain diligence to keep its residents safe.

In addition, Mr. Stout says that fiscal responsibility will be one of his main issues.

”We need to continue to do things smart and for less, with transparency, safety, as well as good customer service,” he said.

Mr. Stout said he will continue to look for alternate ways to secure money through grants and other aid to offset the property tax burden on residents. He said he will work to separate the town’s needs from wants, to keep taxes as low as possible.

http://www.packetonline.com/articles/2007/10/19/cranbury_press/news/doc4718cd65519f4840952113.prt
Main Streeter

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 17 2007, 11:47 am EST    Post subject: Re: crazy nutty stupid driving pattern Reply with quote

If any of you were on Main Street this morning you will realize what a problem the situation is with traffic & the school. I opted to drive my child to school today as the wind was terrible and I had to go into Princeton myself. I sat for 20 minutes waiting to discharge my child. Then I sat for another 10 minutes waiting to get out of the lane. I think the Board of Ed, in conjunction with the township, need to take a look at the safety of kids.

While sitting in the parking lot, I watched a number of frustrated parents park their cars in the Town Hall area of the parking lot and run their kids to the 'old gym' doors - weaving in and out of cars. It was terribly dangerous. Additionally, I watched frustrated drivers by-pass the line of cars dropping younger kids off at the 'old gym' doors and go around them on the left side to beat traffic.

I've gotta tell you that the Board of Ed and/or township needs to get a group of interested and willing parents/citizens together to brainstorm some good ideas as to how to tackle MAJOR issues (both financial & safety) in Cranbury.

Baseball fields are NOT the answer. Higher taxes are not the answer. Working together as a community of concerned citizens, parents, business people IS the answer. This is OUR town...why not make it OUR solution?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1