Loyalty to My Country
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Radom Thoughts | Sports | Kitchen Sink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Richardson

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 8:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

This article by Bill Richardson is posted on today's Washington Post:

Loyalty to My Country

By Bill Richardson
Tuesday, April 1, 2008; 10:29 AM

My recent endorsement of Barack Obama for president has been the subject of much discussion and consternation -- particularly among supporters of Hillary Clinton.

Led by political commentator James Carville, who makes a living by being confrontational and provocative, Clinton supporters have speculated about events surrounding this endorsement and engaged in personal attacks and insults.

While I certainly will not stoop to the low level of Mr. Carville, I feel compelled to defend myself against character assassination and baseless allegations.

Carville has made it very clear that this is a personal attack -- driven by his own sense of what constitutes loyalty. It is this kind of political venom that I anticipated from certain Clinton supporters and I campaigned against in my own run for president.

I repeatedly urged Democrats to stop attacking each other personally and even offered a DNC resolution calling for a positive campaign based on the issues. I was evenhanded in my efforts. In fact, my intervention in a debate during a particularly heated exchange was seen by numerous commentators as an attempt to defend Sen. Clinton against the barbs of Sens. Obama and John Edwards.

As I have pointed out many times, and most pointedly when I endorsed Sen. Obama, the campaign has been too negative, and we Democrats need to calm the rhetoric and personal attacks so we can come together as a party to defeat the Republicans.

More than anything, to repair the damage done at home and abroad, we must unite as a country. I endorsed Sen. Obama because I believe he has the judgment, temperament and background to bridge our divisions as a nation and make America strong at home and respected in the world again.

This was a difficult, even painful, decision. My affection and respect for the Clintons run deep. I do indeed owe President Clinton for the extraordinary opportunities he gave me to serve him and this country. And nobody worked harder for him or served him more loyally, during some very difficult times, than I did.

Carville and others say that I owe President Clinton's wife my endorsement because he gave me two jobs. Would someone who worked for Carville then owe his wife, Mary Matalin, similar loyalty in her professional pursuits? Do the people now attacking me recall that I ran for president, albeit unsuccessfully, against Sen. Clinton? Was that also an act of disloyalty?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/01/AR2008040100885.html

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 8:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

If anyone is voting for Obama - they are out of their MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 8:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
If anyone is voting for Obama - they are out of their MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 9:00 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Why?

are you serious?

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 9:01 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Why?

I am voting for him and I am not out of my mind Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 9:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Why?

are you serious?

I don't understand your statement at all. Or is it a April Fool's joke?

If your statement is true, then we have lots of crazy people in this country??

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 1 2008, 9:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Loyalty to My Country Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Why?

are you serious?

I don't understand your statement at all. Or is it a April Fool's joke?

If your statement is true, then we have lots of crazy people in this country??
to many and he has not to be trusted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Radom Thoughts | Sports | Kitchen Sink All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1