Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed K

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 2:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Ed K wrote:

The point I'm making is that at some future point Cranbury will have no choice but to tell American Water Company to take it down for safety reasons and we may have an opportunity to purchase the land for parking when the need is finally realized.

I think we all agree on this tread that American Water comp would first have to deal with the remediation then our township would have opportunity for the land. It would be far less then the current $1.4mil even by using the Future Value of Money calcs.
James

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 2:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Absolutely.
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 3:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Agreed no taxpayer money involved if possible.
Hank

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 4:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

PNC Bank issue remains alive
There's a petition making the rounds in Cranbury (see Friday's Press for details) seeking to get the Township Committee to put the question of whether the PNC Bank building should be purchased by the township back on the table.

The bank, which is for sale with a pricetag of around $1.4 million, has become a somewhat contentious issue, with supporters viewing it as a way to provide parking and expand library services and opponents seeing it as an unnecessary cost. It appears that opinion is split pretty equally, though that is not something that is easily determined.

A majority on the committee (Stave, Stannard and Stout) appears to favor a study, though a fourth would be needed to actually move ahead with the sale. And right now both Tom Panconi and Wayne Wittman oppose it.

Wittman, of course, has opted not to seek re-election this year and the bank sale could have an impact on the race for his seat -- the same way that the Updike property decision helped Democrats several years ago.

We've come out editorially in favor of the purchase, though I can see the merit of both arguments. I still believe the purchase can work for the township, but not if it divides the community.

As a compromise, it would make sense to do a study that looks examines not just the initial cost but the cost of renovations and how borrowing to cover the purchase and renovations would affect the township's credit and debt load.

Once that's done, the committee should consider putting the PNC sale on the ballot in a non-binding referendum designed to gauge community interest.

What the committee needs to do is diffuse the bank as a divisive issue so that it doesn't poison debate in town on other issues.
Hank Kalet

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 5:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Who posted under my name?

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 5:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

hank,

Didn't you write that on your Blog?
Hank Kalet

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 5:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

I did, but I didn't post it here. I don't mind someone linking to it, quoting it, etc., but they shouldn't post it whole and do it under my name.
HK

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 5:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

I'm sure who ever posted it using the name "Hank", did not mean to offend or harm you. They probably just wanted to post and link your article that you wrote from your blog site.

I guess they will get the message now.
Hank Kalet

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 5:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Just being protective of my online identity. Keep reading.
Jeff M.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 3 2008, 7:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Here is what I don't understand.

The TC visited the PNC property and had ample time to arrive at the costs. In fact, one TC member had said a ball park figure would be presented at the meeting. However, when the library issue started to lose momentum there were conveniently no costs presented and the meeting became a meeting to decide about further discussions.

If there was merit to further discussion without an actual purchase then I would be fine exploring it. Maybe PNC donates it (good luck). However, the Mayor explicitly said public comment may not happen and the TC never presented a cost indication at the meeting to open further discussion. So to me that means the 3 Stave, Stout and Stannard had their minds made up to make the purchase.

I wish that the people circulating the petition would realize we don't have money.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 11:03 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

"What the committee needs to do is diffuse the bank as a divisive issue so that it doesn't poison debate in town on other issues."

I agree with Hank on the above statement.

COAH is the #1 issue for Cranbury.

Those people who favor the purchase need be honest about whether the main motivation for this purchase is to retain parking spaces or not.

The location is bad for a library: too close to passing traffic and bad for local businesses in terms of bringing people to the area.
Jeff M.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 11:14 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

I could not agree more with Hank's comments especially as it pertains to the referendum and the need to have it solved before election time. There are too many more important issues than the PNC building. Plus, if people voted for a person based solely on this one item then that is a sad commentary on our town residents. I do believe that Hank is right though and it could be another updike situation.

I would also say that I am a bit fustrated after talking to some people last evening about this issue. It seems like it is a moving target, library, parking, protection (non-issue if people realize the building is protected), control over what goes in (the town cannot be a landlord it is illegal for a town or non-profit like a church to rent out property), etc...All of them argued with me saying I had no idea what the cost would be so how could I be against further exploration and that the arguement is that this is only to explore. Exploring costs money and time. We also have a minimum base line of 1 million (assuming PNC lowers their price by 400K). That is too much.

Sorry for venting again, but while out walking last night 3 individuals tried to change my mind about the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 11:38 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Let's try the following thought experiment:

1. Assuming that the PNC building does not have the parking area; Let's say the parking area is converted to a garden with beautiful flowers and trees.

2. Let's call this building PNC-NP.

3. Note that PNC-NP is still a historic building with some special attributes.

Ask those people again, will they favor the purchase?
HistoricallFiscal

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 11:52 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Let's try the following thought experiment:

1. Assuming that the PNC building does not have the parking area; Let's say the parking area is converted to a garden with beautiful flowers and trees.

2. Let's call this building PNC-NP.

3. Note that PNC-NP is still a historic building with some special attributes.

Ask those people again, will they favor the purchase?

My vote would be NO
This all can still be possible by the new owner.

If you really wanted to fix ugly buildings in Cranbury then what about the ugly white warehouse on Old trenton Rd, how come we are not beautifying all of Cranbury MAIN ST?

It for sale now

http://www.trulia.com/property/1061666266--Cranbury-NJ-08512
Ed K

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 2:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

thanks for posting it here HF, I did edit it a bit more on my blog
publius

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 4 2008, 9:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Clarity: What Cranbury should do with the PNC Bank Property... Reply with quote

Parking is only a problem for those who live too far out from Main St. to walk. You especially want to attract out-of-towners to shop & buy here. The more revenue......the better. I don't like the idea of knocking down the PNC bldg. It could add to the tax base. Maybe, we can require residents who live on Main St. to park their vehicles in their driveway and/or backyard, or on some sidestreet during business hours. I know that it seems inconvenient, but, the extra space would be great for business!!! Maybe, just between 9am-5pm Mon-Fri. Most people would be at work at those times anyway. I think that we could maximize the parking over by the town hall. Put up a couple of signs on Main St. that would point the way to free public parking. People would have to walk a little bit, but, it may work out really well on the weekends and late afternoons when the town hall and the school are normally closed.
I think the PNC bldg would make a great antique shop co-op sort of business. The thing about antique shops is that once you have one in place, you can usually get others to locate nearby as well. Those people would come to town to spend money to eat, to buy things, and to just stroll around and soak up the local color. Excellent demographic base!
As for the watertower..................I kinda like it!
It may be a hazard someday, but I guess the water company has to deal with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4