AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 4:31 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

If Public Library has to make plans to move out, they can use the money in their budget to rent a place. Then the Public Library can then do a funding raising campaign so that there is no further tax burden on the residents.

If they have money now - why are they not pay their fair share into maintaining the facility that they are in now. If they can't even do that - Why must they move?

This is so childish - lawyer again lawyer. Shameful. School and Library you better work it out (especially if you want finacial help from the taxpayers later on).
James

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 4:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

No one is advocating (well one post was) that we end our library or the services it provides. To do so would be a major error in the other direction. I'd say 99.99% of people support a town library. Of those 99.99% I think the majority favor keeping things as is at this time.

What I find aggravating is that until the PNC building came up for sale this was a non-issue and everyone was happy with the services provided. People talked, but there was no aggressive push for a stand alone facility like there is post PNC. Now, when our TC needs to focus on COAH we have the library seemingly on every agenda. When the TC says no, it reappears on the agenda using a different arguement.

It seems once the seed of a stand alone library was planted people wouldn't (won't?) give it up. Despite the fact that we as a town simply can't afford a separate building at this time. That is the arguement. Not the value of a library, but a town's ability to fund a separate facility and how it appears to Trenton. We already saw how well intentioned people hurt our cause by focusing on RCA's in Trenton. Trenton saw the wrong message and I think a new library like CC says will send the wrong message as well.

I've been thinking and I doubt there are that many people affected by the library limiting hours during the day since most people who use it can and do use it after 3pm and on weekends. Is the inconvenience of waiting until 2 or 3pm that sever? Can't we just work around those hours at least for the short term as we fight COAH and get the town finances in order.

If the library can use the surplus to rent space, then I'd be willing to hear the proposal. I just don't know where that space would be. If the library can be built through donations, then I'd fully support that approach. If they could have put it in the old School building it would have been great.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 4:41 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]The Cranbury Public Library is for all residents. It is such a valuable resource. Libraries create a sense of community, like the school does for families. A library involves the whole town.
[quote]

No one has ever said the Library is not an asset to our town. However, they are proposing a current fiscal burden that our town cannot and should not entertain. There will be a time for the Library to move to a new facility - but it is "NOT NOW".

The library has the responsibility to the taxpayer to prove how they will manage to move to a free standing building without adding additional burden to the taxpayer. What about a little planning on their part?

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 4:42 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

The Public Library does not pay rent, but does reimburse the school for custodial services on days school is not is session.

The Public Library shelves teh books, cares for the furniture and equipment, and maintains the server and databases shared by both libraries.

This is per the verbal agreement between the school and the public library.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 4:50 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

RE. People affected by the library limiting hours during the day since most people who use it can and do use it after 3pm and on weekends.

Seniors, business people, young families with small children? These are prime hours.

3 p.m. - 5 p.m. is a very busy time and many including seniors avoid this.

Can't we as a town focus on more than one important issue? I think we can. If the library has to move out, the director, the board and the township committee can find a way to be fiscally responsible. A Public Library is such a great bargain for the 1% of our taxes that it costs us.[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 5:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

No, I don't think we can when that issue is continuing to ask for a town investment and money. How many times must the library or those wanting the library moved have to be told we can't afford it? It's like a bad penny that keeps reappearing because you don't like the answer the last 3 or 4 times you hear no.

How many business people from Cranbury do we have coming in every day? I work in a 200 person office and not one person visits a library to do research. It's all on the office via the internet. Young families, seniors and others can come after 3 especially when it is these families who face the biggest tax burden by this investment. I doubt there are enough of them who are impacted. And if they are that concerned, it's not that much of a hardship.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 5:18 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The Public Library does not pay rent, but does reimburse the school for custodial services on days school is not is session.

The Public Library shelves teh books, cares for the furniture and equipment, and maintains the server and databases shared by both libraries.

This is per the verbal agreement between the school and the public library.

Considering that the Library benefited from the building maintenance and repairs - ie roof repairs and weekly custodial services. Don't you think they should share in the financial burden? Last year taxpayers had to voted to fork over an additional 1 million to the school. In which the library benefited from the repairs and receives additional moneys due to increase of taxes due to the increase in school budget.

No matter how you cut it and slice it - the Library should stop fanning the flames and thank the school for not passing these finacial burdens onto them and in addition benefited by receiving extra funding due to the rise is taxes from the increase in the school budget.
James

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 5:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

As I said, I really don't think there are large numbers of people involved and impacted by accessing the library after 3pm. If they don't like a crowd, then go after 5. Certainly, there are a few people impacted, but not enough to justify the expense. Just as there are a few who support the ball field, but not enough to justify the expense. If they want to go earlier we have a library in Plainsboro that they can use.

The library interests have been told that we don't have funds. Yet, the same issue continues to come up. At some point we need to move forward instead of rehashing the same issues and focus on COAH. I don't think it is a good use of TC time to continue putting the library on the agenda when the TC and majority of residents can't justify the expense today.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 5:44 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
... If the library has to move out, the director, the board and the township committee can find a way to be fiscally responsible. A Public Library is such a great bargain for the 1% of our taxes that it costs us.

so spoiled we are here in Cranbury, that we can spend millions on a second library building and new ball field, but yet cry at the COAH meeting about how high our taxes will be from COAH3.

Many are indeed hypocritical, with blinders on, and can only see one vision of a shiny new library at the expense of the big picture and our future Cranbury independence. Yes the sky is falling and COAH will destroy Cranbury forever, any many in this town support spending more money and eliminating one of the best defenses to COAH.

That is truly shortsighted and again tells me how dangerous the discussion of a New Library is defocusing both the TC and citizens from the primary issue we should all have. I wish these same people who are the supporters of a new building would instead fight and protect Cranbury from COAH with the same zeal.

So go ahead support your shinny new building, I will be fighting tooth and nail to protect the future of our town from COAH. Yes they are interrelated, taxes are interrelated, higher taxes means we have less in our Cranbury budget to fight COAH3, and poor planning will be the death of Cranbury as we know it.

So build your new library now and seal the fate of Cranbury forever, or instead, let's plan for some future time. Why do we need a new building now?

For those who just dont want to use the Cranbury library between 3-9pm then about 7min away Plainsboro is open folks and you can use it. Here's a map if you dont know how to get there from our library:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Cranbury&1s=NJ&2c=Plainsboro&2s=NJ&2a=641+Plainsboro+Rd

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 8:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

what happened at the meeting?
James

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 8 2008, 10:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

There is another post on the West property so I'll focus on the library.

Mrs. Mullen came before the TC and spoke about the school proposal to restrict hours. No mention was made about the issues discussed on this board- no stand alone library, no mention of NJ mandates or laws. It was an informational talk and she did very well.

The library has been asked to reduce hours to 11-1 and 3-9. Today they are open from 10-9. In essence, I believe it is the hours that the school and library used to have in place years ago. The public is losing 3 hours during the day. However, there is still a block that covers lunch available for seniors, families, etc.. to come in before 3pm.

I don't see this as a major disruption.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 6:40 am EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

I agree. I think we can live with the reduced hours. It may be an inconvenience for awhile, but people will get used to it. She mentioned something about it being hard on the staff (I don't recall her exact words - maybe burden?) I disagree - even if the library isn't open for patrons from 1-3, the staff should be able to stay and get some work done during these hours. Just have everyone get a background check.
library hours

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 8:41 am EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Quote:
The library has been asked to reduce hours to 11-1 and 3-9. Today they are open from 10-9.

For me, the change is fine; I'll go to the library after work and during the weekend.

I don't understand the "hard on the staff" part. Is it because the staff has to leave and then come back? If so, why can they just stay in the library? They don't pose any security risks for the school, right?

Come on folks, we don't even trust our own library staff?
James

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 8:56 am EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

I forgot the hard on staff part. Mrs. Mullen did not clarify that part.

I believe all the staff lives on town so it can't be too hard to leave and come back and they are certainly not paid an amount so high as to have the lost wages hurt them financially.

It's been done before with these hours and think it is a fair compromise. I want to stress, so we don't go down another long path, that Mrs. Mullen did not advocate or stress anything at the meeting. It was a simple information statement.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 10:06 am EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Was there any more discussion of COAH?
James

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 10:18 am EDT    Post subject: Re: AGENDA TOWNSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING September 8, 2008 Reply with quote

Two residents made statements during public comment. Otherwise there was no discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4