Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voter

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 6:36 pm EDT    Post subject: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

As we have seen on this board over the past few years, the TC is not listening to our residents.

Mr. Cody and Mr. Ritter, please let us know how you'll involve residents in the decision making process. How will you differ from the current people on the TC?

I assume a non-response to be indicative of your view of residents in this town.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 7:06 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

I believe that the Cranbury Press will be asking the Candidates a few questions and will be printing their response each week.

To be fair, I don't think John Ritter posts on this forum - and not everyone in Cranbury reads this forum either (but they do read the paper). Perhaps if you should post your questions on the Cranbury Press's website. Maybe it will be added to the list of questions for these 2 distinguished gentlemen.

http://www.packetonline.com/articles/2008/09/09/cranbury_press/your_views/doc48c16314a1b2f164591400.txt
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 8:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Lets be real Cranbury.info gets just as much if not more traffic regarding Cranbury as the press site does. This site is the voice of Cranbury.
voter

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 8:53 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

I understand, valid comment about the Press. I differ though on excusing Mr. Ritter from responding.

This site is no secret and every other person I talk to in town knows about or has been on it.

I assure everyone that Mr. Ritter has at least one friend who can tell him this post exists. If he does not respond then I still stand by my comment that this is indicative of his role on TC. Not a statement of him individually as a person, just on whether he is right for the job at hand.
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 10:30 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Cranbury.info is great in many ways. However, for the most direct responses to your questions, I recommend talking to them. Both are very approachable. All of us, especially current and future TC Members, should use our best judgement about what gets posted in a public forum that can be attributed to Cranbury. Not everyone reading these pages has Cranbury's best interests at heart.
voter

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 11:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

I would also encourage everyone to meet the candidates. I agree they both seem like very nice people. Pari and David are also nice people.

However, I stand by my post. I am not asking for a comment on their plan for COAH, I am not asking views on litigation, I am asking a very valid, very open question and the posters here should know the answer. Especially in light of our current TC.

How will residents be heard? My comments are not heard at public comment with today's TC. See the ballfield, west property, revaluation, staff increases, etc...

I find it amazing how many people are jumping to defend a lack of response from the candidates. I wonder if this is Democrat support for not having to put Mr. Ritter on the spot for voicing an opinion that may differ from the other Dems on TC. Or justifying Mr. Ritter from having to committ to a plan on hearing resident concerns. If not, it certainly doesn't help his cause. I really hope he responds because these statements are doing him a great disservice when in all fairness he may not be and likely is not aware.

My initial question is fair and stance is fair. I really don't understand the opinions posted opposing the question being answered on this forum.
voter

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 11:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

I would also encourage everyone to meet the candidates. I agree they both seem like very nice people. Pari and David are also nice people.

However, I stand by my post. I am not asking for a comment on their plan for COAH, I am not asking views on litigation, I am asking a very valid, very open question and the posters here should know the answer. Especially in light of our current TC.

How will residents be heard? My comments are not heard at public comment with today's TC. See the ballfield, west property, revaluation, staff increases, etc...

I find it amazing how many people are jumping to defend a lack of response from the candidates. I wonder if this is Democrat support for not having to put Mr. Ritter on the spot for voicing an opinion that may differ from the other Dems on TC. Or justifying Mr. Ritter from having to committ to a plan on hearing resident concerns. If not, it certainly doesn't help his cause. I really hope he responds because these statements are doing him a great disservice when in all fairness he may not be and likely is not aware.

My initial question is fair and stance is fair. I really don't understand the opinions posted opposing the question being answered on this forum.
wcody

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 9 2008, 11:57 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Voter wrote:
Mr. Cody and Mr. Ritter, please let us know how you'll involve residents in the decision making process. How will you differ from the current people on the TC?

I feel it is critical for the Township Committee to take in the opinions of the residents on making decisions. The township committee is elected to represent the people of Cranbury. Decisions should be made that serve the best interest of Cranbury. The larger the magnitude of the decision, the more input is necessary before making a decision. By magnitude I mean large expense (i.e. library, ballpark, etc.) or long term potential irreversible action (land preservation).

There are several ways to get more input from residents:

Being around, attending events and talking to people in town. I have started my walking around town and have already visited several hundred houses. This is a great way to get the pulse of what people care about.

Listening to residents at the township committee

Reading email and letters from residents

Having a booth at Cranbury Day where the TC can interact with residents, I was disappointed there was no TC booth this year

Reading this board. All the activity is great way to get a sense of what is going on. Because most posts are anonymous, it is sometimes unclear to determine how widespread a view is held in town by posts on this board but it is a great indicator and a way to learn information.

I feel there needs to be more openness from the Township Committee to improve communication. I feel there are too many closed sessions and sub-committees. Sub-committees are de-facto closed sessions. Of course closed session for certain matters such as personnel are still needed but they should be kept to a minimum.

For major decisions (i.e, ball field, new stand alone library), I would propose we have public referendums to truly get the sense of the town. Before we embark on large non-emergency expenditures, a plan and business case should be put together outline expenses and impact, then presented that to town and placed on a ballot. The plan and business case need not be done exclusively by the TC or consultants, concerned residents can help put these plans together where appropriate. There are at least two elections (primary and general election) each year, there should be sufficient time to plan and put these on the ballot without increasing expenses.

I am very happy to any question to the best of my ability. I will post answers to questions of general interest. I am getting questions from meeting people and will start posting some answers. I will post them on this site and my blog on Cranbury (I have not been active posting there since this site is so active).

There are many ways to reach me:

There are email links on this site, my blog – http://cranburynj.blogspot.com – and the Cranbury Republican site which has many of my positions – www.cranburyrepublicans.com

My email is wcody@alum.mit.edu

Win Cody
voter

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 6:42 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Mr. Cody,

Thank you for the information you put forward. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Hopefully, we can hear from Mr. Ritter and see his views and plan.
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 8:23 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

voter wrote:
I find it amazing how many people are jumping to defend a lack of response from the candidates. I wonder if this is Democrat support for not having to put Mr. Ritter on the spot for voicing an opinion that may differ from the other Dems on TC. Or justifying Mr. Ritter from having to committ to a plan on hearing resident concerns. I really don't understand the opinions posted opposing the question being answered.

Voter,
If this is supposed to be a response to my post, you are reading way too much into it and I don't appreciate your overeaching accusations. While I share your frustrations with the lack of openly available information, it is important to understand that it would be irresponsible to post certain types of information. If you have any questions about my comments, please feel free to call me, or talk to me at the next meeting. Despite the "Jersey Dad" tag, I'm pretty sure anyone paying attention to my posts knows who I am. See you àt the next meeting.
Dave
voter

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 8:38 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Sorry, it was late and yes I most likely did read too much into it, but please know I was not talking about you specifically. I was going to post an immediate follow up about the tone of my post, but went to bed instead.

Some background. I ran into people at the grocery store who were complaining about my post not knowing it was me who posted. Saying it was not right for someone on this forum to ask for a candidate to respond. Then I saw the first post about the Cranbury Press and that Mr. Ritter doesn't post here, then I saw yours and well I hope you can understand.. So I did not mean to cite you specifically. Since you say I took it out of context or misread it I apologize to you. I read your post one way that was you had not intended. I took it as saying ask the candidates direct, not here. Just as the others.

My intent is simply that I can't believe people (just generic not anyone poster or person specifically) don't want to hear an answer from the candidates in an open forum or not even question why candidates may ignore a forum like this. I say this because you'll never see Pari challenge David, so it is important to know if Mr. Cody and Mr. Ritter will be like Mr. Wittman or if they will be like Pari. A lot of people can't go to meetings, but do read this forum.

I hope this clarifies things. Again, no harm meant.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:18 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

On the one hand, I do believe that Mr. Cody has a "home field" advantage on this forum since he has been a long-time poster here and the majority of overall posts have clearly expressed parity with many of his positions and strong opposition to some held by Mr. Ritter, including the PNC site and library and support for the current TC leadership and policies. Also, the fact that this is a mostly anonymous board (an amazing feat in such a small town) has led many to post more aggressively than they might in-person. Mr. Ritter has every reason to be concerned that he would meet with some hostile responses whether that is the intent or not. And perhaps a written forum like doesn’t play to his strengths.

All that said, I a concerned that the Cranbury Press is not going to be an adequate forum to fully appreciate the positions and integrity of the candidates. While the editor seems to have embraced the suggestions that started on this board to do much more detailed coverage of the candidates this year, the format still doesn’t lend itself to the more iterative back-and-forth discussion that will really allow us to understand these candidates. I feel burned by having relied on that for the last TC election where I voted along my party lines and this contributed to helping elect the majority that I now feel is undermining Cranbury’s economy, future and non-political tradition. And when you go back to what they said in the Press, it is clear that they haven’t minded directly contradicting their campaign pledges, in spirit or letter.

I won’t personally feel satisfied with anything short of an in-person opportunity to ask questions, hear answers and further have a chance to re-press or clarify them if I didn’t feel I got clarity. Mr. Ritter indicated in the Press that he is making the rounds house-to-house. If so, I welcome the chance to speak to him but he has yet to come to my neighborhood or house. Ideally I would love to see an open forum where both candidates appear and stay as long as it takes to answer everyone’s questions – we’re a small enough town that this could work. In lieu of any of the above, this forum is the next best thing.

I will say this. I have made a pledge, since realizing the huge mistake I made in blindly voting for Mr. Stout, that I will never again vote for a candidate in the local election that I did not get to meet or directly question about their positions. If I haven’t met either, I will withhold my vote for that position before voting along party lines or reputation. But as a responsible citizen, that is a last resort and I will strive to meet the candidates. I have been able to speak with Mr, Cody numerous times and would like to with Mr. Ritter.
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 9:43 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

voter wrote:
Sorry, it was late and yes I most likely did read too much into it, but please know I was not talking about you specifically. I was going to post an immediate follow up about the tone of my post, but went to bed instead. I hope this clarifies things. Again, no harm meant.

Voter,
No problem. Thanks for the clarification. I hope both candidates use this site and every other available forum to make their opinions and intentions clear. We are facing some very serious issues (consolidation of schools and services, affordable housing plans, declining commercial tax revenue, etc.). We are going to need hard working leaders with good ideas, business and political acumen and tremendous dedication. Whomever gets elected should be fully vetted during the campaign, because once they are on the committee, there's a lot they can't say.
Jersey Dad

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I won’t personally feel satisfied with anything short of an in-person opportunity to ask questions. I have been able to speak with Mr, Cody numerous times and would like to with Mr. Ritter.

As far as I know, Mr Ritter makes himself available after every TC meeting. You may want try to catch up with him after a meeting. Just a suggestion.
James

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 10 2008, 10:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

Jersey Dad wrote:
voter wrote:
Sorry, it was late and yes I most likely did read too much into it, but please know I was not talking about you specifically. I was going to post an immediate follow up about the tone of my post, but went to bed instead. I hope this clarifies things. Again, no harm meant.

Voter,
No problem. Thanks for the clarification. I hope both candidates use this site and every other available forum to make their opinions and intentions clear. We are facing some very serious issues (consolidation of schools and services, affordable housing plans, declining commercial tax revenue, etc.). We are going to need hard working leaders with good ideas, business and political acumen and tremendous dedication. Whomever gets elected should be fully vetted during the campaign, because once they are on the committee, there's a lot they can't say.

I could not agree more.
Traveler

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Ritter and Mr. Cody- Tell us your view Reply with quote

How about staging a town hall meeting where the two candidates can come before our residents to field questions from a select panel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2