Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guest2008

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

On October 21, 7 PM there will be a Board of Education meeting in the Large Group Room of the Cranbury School. Dr. Patrick Piegari, Middlesex County Executive Superintendent will discuss the subject of district consolidation.
This information came from the Cranbury School's internet site.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

guest2008 wrote:
On October 21, 7 PM there will be a Board of Education meeting in the Large Group Room of the Cranbury School. Dr. Patrick Piegari, Middlesex County Executive Superintendent will discuss the subject of district consolidation.
This information came from the Cranbury School's internet site.

I expect ALL our TC members will be there too. If not, they should.
link

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:18 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Here is the link:

http://portal.cranburyschool.org/boe/Lists/Calendar/DispForm.aspx?ID=16&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fportal.cranburyschool.org%2Fboe%2Fdefault.aspx
The Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:32 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Looks like we might be facing consolidation. Corzine's plan is to bankrupt our town with COAH all to force our school to consolidate. Maybe builders remedy would not be so bad. Wouldn't cost us millions to build and we can keep from consolidating by using our tax money by building up our school. See the article below:

Talks Begin on Merging Three School Districts
May 16, 2008
County super to review options for Spotswood, Milltown, Helmetta

School officials in Spotswood, Milltown and Helmetta will explore the possibility of consolidating their school districts in the coming years.

The discussion comes as the state has assigned each county's executive school superintendent to develop proposals to merge school districts and services. The idea is to make all districts K-12 systems, thus doing away with those that send all or some regular education students to other districts.

Spotswood Board of Education President Rich O'Brien said his school district has corresponded with Middlesex County Executive Superintendent of Schools Patrick Piegari on the idea of consolidation. Spotswood currently educates all of Helmetta's students and Milltown's high school students on a tuition basis.

O'Brien said the state is pressing for consolidation in an effort to save taxpayers money on duplicate costs and positions. He said cost savings are possible as the result of a merger, but there are also risks and potential costs increases involved with such an undertaking.

"Governor Corzine and the Legislature are obviously looking to save taxpayer dollars. We are unsure how much money, if any, will be saved through consolidation, but our position is to make certain that it is not done at the expense of our students' education," O'Brien said.

Helmetta School Business Administrator Brian Savage said he and that borough's Board of Education president are expecting to meet with Piegari over the next month so that he could gain a better understanding of the community and its school program.

"It's a preliminary meeting to discuss the overall parameters," Savage said, adding that Piegari "wants to get a feel for the community." The meeting date had yet to be set as of Friday, but Savage said it would take place in Helmetta.

School officials in Milltown did not return phone calls for this story, but their Board of Education was expected to discuss the issue this week.

Frank Belluscio III, director of communications for the New Jersey School Boards Association, said the discussions are the result of legislation approved last year and signed in April that established the position of county executive superintendent of schools, a post that holds greater authority than the prior county school superintendents. He said one responsibility of each new county official is to develop proposals, by March 2010, for configuring all school districts into K-12 systems.

The regionalization and shared service proposals will come after studies are completed regarding financial, tax and curriculum issues. Also, a task force is to be formed in each county to assist and advise the executive superintendents, Belluscio said. These panels are to include at least one representative from each school district.

Ultimately, any reconfiguring of school districts would only come about if approved by a majority of voters in each community, via a referendum, Belluscio said, citing the legislation.

O'Brien said a district like Helmetta is being targeted by the state because it is a non-operating district, meaning it has no schools and all public school students are sent to another district, Spotswood. Helmetta does employ part-time administrators and elects a three-member school board. In addition, a district like Milltown is being targeted because it only has schools for students in grades K-8.

O'Brien said he considers Spotswood fortunate to have partners such as Milltown and Helmetta, and that the school district operates in an economically sound fashion without consolidation.
"We already have administrators with more than one duty," he said, adding that the district also uses interlocal agreements with the borough and enters purchasing agreements with other school districts.

"I think we operate the district as economically sound as we can, and we avoid redundancy," O'Brien said.

The board, he said, is "taking a wait and see approach" to the consolidation issue.

It is possible for savings to be derived from combining duplicate areas like payroll systems, attendance systems and food service programs, he said.

"Redundant administrative positions could be eliminated, but all of those savings and more could be wiped out when you consider that Spotswood may be burdened with a busing cost we currently don't have," O'Brien said. "And the cost of transportation is only going up."

He said Piegari has indicated to local school officials that any eventual proposal he presents must be both educationally sound and fiscally responsible.

"We look forward to working with him to ensure the plan meets those criteria," O'Brien said. "And we will work to keep all our students, parents and other taxpayers informed all along the way."

The Sentinel
by Vincent Todaro & Brian Donahue - Staff Writers

http://www.milltownvoice.com/news.htm
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

So we are looking at attacks on multiple fronts from Assembly Speaker Roberts and Governor Corzine.

First:
Roberts Affordable Housing legislation combined with COAH's rules

Second:
Speaker Roberts Municipal Consolidation Plan

Third:
Speaker Roberts School Consolidation Plan

Bottom line they want to destroy towns like ours.

Here is the press release from Speaker Roberts Office concerning as they put it "Let the county negotiate teachers contracts"

http://njasa.net/70179332134659/lib/70179332134659/prroberts042108.pdf

Last edited by Cranbury Conservative on Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:37 pm EDT; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 2:52 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

The only way around this is to vote the Dems out. It's simple and easy. We did it under Florio and we can revolt again. It is a Dem attack on our town, it is a Dem attack on the state finances.

A builders remedy would mean at min. 1,400 new homes. We have 1,200 now. So Cranbury is gone. Plus, 1,400 new homes with an average of 1.5 kids means an increase of 2,100 kids. At 15,000 a pop to educate them our town could not afford a builders remedy. My 8K property taxes would be 15K plus in that scenario. In which case, I'm moving to WW because they will seem cheap compared to Cranbury.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The only way around this is to vote the Dems out. It's simple and easy. We did it under Florio and we can revolt again. It is a Dem attack on our town, it is a Dem attack on the state finances.

A builders remedy would mean at min. 1,400 new homes. We have 1,200 now. So Cranbury is gone. Plus, 1,400 new homes with an average of 1.5 kids means an increase of 2,100 kids. At 15,000 a pop to educate them our town could not afford a builders remedy. My 8K property taxes would be 15K plus in that scenario. In which case, I'm moving to WW because they will seem cheap compared to Cranbury.

Don't give up the ship yet. WW is facing a huge boom from COAH. Wait until they see their tax bill - they are in for a big surprise.

Right now - School consolidation is not a law - We just need to delay as long as possible and vote out Corzine. But, we are facing a problem with the high school being in another county. So, princeton might not be an option - maybe Plainsboro.

OR we might have the option of growing our school to include a high school since COAH will push us to expand our school. Perhaps funding would be available from the county or the state.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:31 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

All I can say - With facing the daunting fiscal problems ahead of Cranbury - we should be thinking of setting up a financial committee. This would be a voluntary community committee and being advisory only to help the TC with ideas concerning funding and expenditures. We have so many qualified fiancial experts living in our town, we should take advantage of it.

I know many people feel, "Oh NO, Not another committee". However, these other committees mainly deal with where to spend the money (they have their hand out for more) and a financial committee can accurately view the financial outlook and make fiscally responsible recommendations. It would definately help with issues concerning COAH, library, and school expansion. Especially since last night meeting, it was stated that COAH could bankrupt our town.
Cranbury Conservative

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

I have to ask, has there been one policy in recent memory that has come out of Trenton that is helping us here in Cranbury or suburban communites in New Jersey?

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:45 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Or better yet, we encourage people with financial backgrounds to run for office. That way those people making the decisions understand debt ratios, cost structures, process planning, and efficiencies.

I do believe the current TC is doing the best they can. However, just as I wouldn't hire an accountant to fix my car or a mechanic to do my taxes, I don't think the TC at this time should be devoid of finance oriented people. It's not a personal attack by any means, because I honestly believe they are doing what they feel is best and based on their knowledge. It's just that their skill set is not right for the issues they are dealing with today. So it leaves people angry and upset at the way the TC is running things. For example, when faced with bankruptcy you don't go buying a new home. When a town is faced with bankruptcy we don't go building a new library.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 3:59 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
For example, when faced with bankruptcy you don't go buying a new home. When a town is faced with bankruptcy we don't go building a new library.

However, we currently are not facing bankruptcy. BUT, COAH alone could bankrupt us. There are always a fork in the road and we are there right now. If we make the wrong move, Cranbury will suffer.

That being said - No one person is great at everything. That is why sucessful nonprofit organizations, corporations, and even governmental agencies have advisors in ever arena. For heaven sakes, our own mayor is an attorney - but our town employs a separate attorney. So, I ask you why not have a financial committee? What are people afraid that this committee would say; "Hey, no - Sorry we don't have the money to fund the said name project." Well then, they would reccommend to the TC that the expenditure is too expensive and could not be funded at this time. OR they might suggest unique and creative funding options that would not cost the taxpayer anything.

AND by the way, this is FREE advise to the TC.
my view

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 4:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
... So, I ask you why not have a financial committee? What are people afraid that this committee would say; "Hey, no - Sorry we don't have the money to fund the said name project." Well then, they would reccommend to the TC that the expenditure is too expensive and could not be funded at this time. OR they might suggest unique and creative funding options that would not cost the taxpayer anything.

AND by the way, this is FREE advise to the TC.

No way the TC will give up their power to spend money to a financial committee.

If we cannot change the current setup, electing a honest, frugal minded TC member is the best we can do.

Once elected, the TC has too much power to decide how to spend our tax dollars.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 4:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

my view wrote:
No way the TC will give up their power to spend money to a financial committee.

If we cannot change the current setup, electing a honest, frugal minded TC member is the best we can do.

Once elected, the TC has too much power to decide how to spend our tax dollars.

It is not giving up power, but a financial advisory committee would make reccommendations only. Right now, we have been paying all these outside consultant firms for everything under the sun. FREE advice should be assessed equally as paying for it. It all depends who is given it.

I get concerned especially when I see millions of dollars coming in and millions of dollars are going out. All this is being spent by 5 people. I want to make sure that they have the most information possible to make an educated decision that can keep Cranbury sucessful is maintaining it beautiful small town charm.
my view

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 4:33 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I get concerned especially when I see millions of dollars coming in and millions of dollars are going out. All this is being spent by 5 people. I want to make sure that they have the most information possible to make an educated decision that can keep Cranbury sucessful is maintaining it beautiful small town charm.

Your concern is exactly my concern. I am not sure TC will listen to us once elected. We are completely at their mercy because the current setup does not have a counter force to object TC's decisions, right?

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 4:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

my view wrote:
Guest wrote:

Your concern is exactly my concern. I am not sure TC will listen to us once elected. We are completely at their mercy because the current setup does not have a counter force to object TC's decisions, right?

Yup - all we have is the referendums - that is if we know what is going on. But, it's difficult since they have so many closed door meetings.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 14 2008, 5:18 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Oct 21, Bd of Ed meeting re: consolidation Reply with quote

I disagree with the idea of an advisory committee.

1) I don't believe in non-elected officals having stronger input over spending then any other non-elected resident.

2) The committee will be people appointed by the TC. Just look at how the TC controlled who could join the COAH group.

3) The TC will still have final say regardless of what the committee says. so here is limited value.

4)We have too many committees and consultants already.

5) The attorney reference is not comparable. Representing a town's legal interests requires a different understanding than corporate or insurance law. Also a TC cannot legally act as counsel.

The solution is simple. Elect people who understand finances and are cost sensitive. It is no more complicated then that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2