verizon dsl speed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slow_dsl

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 4:38 pm EDT    Post subject: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

What Verizon DSL speed do you get in Cranbury? I get conflicting information. Customer service claims I can only get my 1.5Mbits/s, but a verizon service man says that I'm not far and should be able to get 3Mbits/s (which I pay for). Does anyone get 3M in Cranbury?
Dan Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 8:00 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

My DSL is rather slow on average as well. I have had conversations with the Verizon techs and they have all agreed its due to the age and condition of the infrastructure on my road.

As far as speeds when downloading....

When working wireless my downloads have been less then 50 KB a second

When plugged directly to the router or modem I have seen speeds up to 400 kb a second but the avg is closer to 250 kb a second.

I also have comcast and during certain hours of the day I have seen higher download speeds, however not that much faster.

Hopefully FIOS will be an option soon which should bring much faster download speeds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
slow_dsl

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 8:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

This is encouraging . I get only 180 kb/s directly from the modem (this is limited at the verizon side). Now if I can convince them to upgrade.
Thanks.
comcast

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:31 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

I am pretty happy with my Comcast Internet service. I have a mid-tier service plan (there are 3 tiers that I know of).

I get about 4 mb/s for my download. Comcast replaced a better (thicker) cable from curb to my home; my Internet service has been working well after the replacement.

I also have the basic cable service (less than $20/month), which includes PBS-HD (13, WHYY), CSB-HD, NBC-HD, ABC-HD, FOX-HD, etc. (all the over-the-air HD channels).

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:56 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

We use Comcast. It is all-over-the-board on speed but usually consistently better than most are getting from DSL.

I do speed tests often. Probably 75% of the time the results show about 6-7mbps download and about 1.5-2mbps upload. The other 25% of the time the results drop to about 1.5mbps download and 1mbps upload. It seems very dependent on area use. During the school year you can notice a substantial likelihood of decreased speed starting around 4pm (i.e kids home from school) or in the evening.

If only we should get FiOS here, that would be nice...

BTW, I tried upgrading for $10/month to a supposedly faster guaranteed speed with Comcast and it improved it exactly ZERO so I recommend against wasting your money on that upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

BTW, the one thing I am not happy about with Comcast is the price. It's a great deal if you use them for your television and/or VoIP phone. But we use DirecTV and Vonage. So they charge us $62 or $72 depending on the tier level. $62 for the basic speed tier is outrageous.
slow_dsl

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 8:59 am EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

I don't want comcast. I get all over-the-air HD channels over the air for free with an antenna in the attic. At this point I just want to try to get the dsl speed I'm paying for.
If other people in the neighborhood get better speed with verizon I can convince them to give me an upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 9:08 am EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

About Comcast pricing, it's not fixed. A friend lost his job and tried to cancel the service, over the phone, Comcast gave him a very good deal for a year to keep his monthly plan.

Verizon (especially FiOS) is a thread to Comcast, and Comcast knows that. I'll take advantage of the competition and bargain the monthly fees down.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
About Comcast pricing, it's not fixed. A friend lost his job and tried to cancel the service, over the phone, Comcast gave him a very good deal for a year to keep his monthly plan.

Verizon (especially FiOS) is a thread to Comcast, and Comcast knows that. I'll take advantage of the competition and bargain the monthly fees down.

Are you syure that's the case when high speed is your only service, and not TV or VoIP. I know someone else who tried this with just high speed and they went through with it and never offerred any better deal. They really seem to focus on their packaging of multiple services and are much more competitive with the TV services because of the satellite competition.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

slow_dsl wrote:
I don't want comcast. I get all over-the-air HD channels over the air for free with an antenna in the attic. At this point I just want to try to get the dsl speed I'm paying for.
If other people in the neighborhood get better speed with verizon I can convince them to give me an upgrade.

You're lucky. We tried an antenna on the roof and it couldn't consistently receive any of the network HD channels from NY or Phily.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:36 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Are you syure that's the case when high speed is your only service, and not TV or VoIP. ...

My assumption was the TV plus Internet deal. If you want the Internet only, then I am not sure.

The price is more flexible if you are a long time customer and want to reduce the monthly fee, with a threat to terminate the service if the price is not lowered.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2009, 7:01 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

http://www.speedtest.net/
Dan Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 1 2009, 2:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

an update...

I just tried to pull down a 360 meg file wireless via dsl and was seeing under 50 kb per sec.

Switched over to my wireless Comcast connection and am getting an avg of about 120 kb a per sec.

This cut the download from several hours to under an hour.

While I am not a Comcast fan the download speed during this download is drastically improved over the dsl speed.

Just thought I would share
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
slow_dsl

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 2 2009, 1:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

You're lucky. We tried an antenna on the roof and it couldn't consistently receive any of the network HD channels from NY or Phily.

I have a hard time imagining that in Cranbury you cannot get OTA TV from a roof top antenna. Did you check antennaweb.org? My experience is consistent, I get slightly more channels than antennaweb says.

My setup: a channelmaster 4228 inside the attic (2 story) turned towards Philadelphia, a CM7777 pre-amp, then RG-6 coaxial cable down to the basement and up to the TV. I get 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 9.1, 10.1, 11.1 12.1 17.1 25.1 29.1 35.1 48.1 52.1 57.1 63.1 65.1 and all sub channels. On the roof it should only be better. There must be something wrong in your setup. Maybe the pre-amp missing? Or do you have high trees around the house?

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 2 2009, 6:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: verizon dsl speed? Reply with quote

slow_dsl wrote:
Guest wrote:

I have a hard time imagining that in Cranbury you cannot get OTA TV from a roof top antenna. Did you check antennaweb.org? My experience is consistent, I get slightly more channels than antennaweb says.

My setup: a channelmaster 4228 inside the attic (2 story) turned towards Philadelphia, a CM7777 pre-amp, then RG-6 coaxial cable down to the basement and up to the TV. I get 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 9.1, 10.1, 11.1 12.1 17.1 25.1 29.1 35.1 48.1 52.1 57.1 63.1 65.1 and all sub channels. On the roof it should only be better. There must be something wrong in your setup. Maybe the pre-amp missing? Or do you have high trees around the house?

Yep, I did. Even had an installer who basically shrugged it off and said I was out of luck. And I am in flat land with no tall obstructions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Tech Related (PC, Internet, HDTV, etc.) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1