Stopping at Cross walks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neighbor

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 8 2009, 11:23 am EDT    Post subject: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

A friendly reminder to many drivers that it is NJ state law that you MUST stop at the cross walks to allow people to cross the street. While there aren't stop signs, it doesn't allow drivers to proceed across the crosswalk when someone is in the middle of the street. Additionally, whether or not you are doing the speed limit, you still need to stop at the cross walk. If you strike & hurt (or kill) someone in the crosswalk, doing 25 mph, that person is still HURT (or dead)...you may not get a speeding ticket, but you will hurt someone.

Hello...smarten up drivers. School is back in session. Watch out for the kids. I'd like my preschooler to make it to kindergarten next year!

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 8 2009, 11:36 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

neighbor wrote:
A friendly reminder to many drivers that it is NJ state law that you MUST stop at the cross walks to allow people to cross the street. While there aren't stop signs, it doesn't allow drivers to proceed across the crosswalk when someone is in the middle of the street. Additionally, whether or not you are doing the speed limit, you still need to stop at the cross walk. If you strike & hurt (or kill) someone in the crosswalk, doing 25 mph, that person is still HURT (or dead)...you may not get a speeding ticket, but you will hurt someone.

Hello...smarten up drivers. School is back in session. Watch out for the kids. I'd like my preschooler to make it to kindergarten next year!

Pedestrians always have the right-of-way, even if they are trying to cross where there is no crosswalk. They are breaking the law if they do, but legally you still have to yield to them. Same in parking lots. I am not native to NJ and have always been amazed how often I see drivers ignoring the laws to yield to people. Same with not pulling over for an emergency vehicle to pass. I have almost been rear-ended twice because when I pulled over for an ambulance to go by in the other direction the cars behind me kept coming forward and almost plowed into me. Once they didn't even bother stopping -- they just whipped around me, almost side-swiping the ambulance coming the other way then honked at me and gave me a look like I was crazy as they sped by. Crazy. NJ is way too liberal in giving out licenses.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 8 2009, 12:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

I use cross walks (those with marking) to cross street whenever possible; it's unambiguous to the drivers that I intend to cross the street.

If there is no cross walk, I'll look in the direction of the passing car, making sure the driver sees me. If the car appears to be slowing down, then I'll move a couple of steps forward to let the driver know my intend to cross the street. If the driver is alert, then s/he will stop the car (hopefully), allowing me to cross.

It's a delicate protocol.

Don't assume the driver of the passing car will be able to tell your intent to cross street. It may not be clear to the driver whether you plan to cross the street or just intend to stand there.
neighbor

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 8 2009, 1:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

We aren't lurking behind trees waiting to jump out in front of cars to test their reflexes....

2 times I've been in the middle of the crosswalk, with my children, when drivers refuse to slow down. After putting my hand up to indicate they should stop to allow my kids to get all the way across the road, they yell at me that there is no stop sign. I'm not making this stuff up...I'm not sure one can make this stuff up.

People are in too big of a rush and now that school is back in session, perhaps having a little more awareness would be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 8 2009, 1:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

neighbor wrote:

2 times I've been in the middle of the crosswalk, with my children, when drivers refuse to slow down. After putting my hand up to indicate they should stop to allow my kids to get all the way across the road, they yell at me that there is no stop sign. I'm not making this stuff up...I'm not sure one can make this stuff up.

Those drivers were rude!

They probably tried to time your crossing and not completely stopped. Once you folks were out to the left side of the road, the drivers drove through.
tommy tunesmith

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 9 2009, 6:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

I just got in from Bermuda and if you so much as APPEAR that you want to cross the street, people stop for you. In NJ it's every person for themself.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 9 2009, 8:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

tommy tunesmith wrote:
I just got in from Bermuda and if you so much as APPEAR that you want to cross the street, people stop for you. In NJ it's every person for themself.

Yeah, when I got my license in CA the inspector giving me the driving test almost failed me because I drove past a guy who was standing at the curve, not looking like he was going anywhere. The instructor said I was required to slow down and gesture to see if he wanted to walk across -- there was no crosswalk there. After the test when I left (with license in hand despite this terrible violation) he was STILL standing there.

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 19 2009, 10:21 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

I am all about stopping for pedestrians in the crosswalks. But how about a little courtesy when you want to cross. Don't just start walking across the road without looking and expect oncoming motorist to slam on their brakes for you. That makes me so angry. There are some people in this town think that this is perfectly ok. As I said before, i am all for yielding, lets just work together!

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 19 2009, 11:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

tommy tunesmith wrote:

Same in Germany. But the pedestrians do not linger on the sidewalk near the pedestrian crossing the way they do here. Make eye-contact with a driver, make sure they see you, and then cross the road. It's a courtesy thing - both ways.
publius

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2009, 5:26 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

BUT..........BUT............This is NJ................every able body for themselves. The law of the jungle...............Darwinism at work!

In Cal. if you put your pinky toe on the street..........drivers will stop for you. Bermuda too!
publius

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 20 2009, 5:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

In England the crossings are well lit. Crossings here are very weird!

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 21 2009, 10:11 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

The TC agenda for Oct 26 has traffic concerns listed as a topic of discussion. Please bring both concerns, and recommendations forward.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2009, 11:37 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

I stopped yesterday for a kid walking home from school trying to cross the crosswalk by the firehouse. She was clearly waiting - making eye-contact with drivers - to cross. Traffic going the other way drove slowly, but didn't stop. Why? I don't know.

Maybe we have a issues in town.
1) Commuters driving too fast
2) Senior citizens not paying as much attention as they should

Correct me if I am wrong, but did the Master Plan from years ago include speed bumps for the town? Similar to what one can find in some other neighborhoods in nearby towns (Princeton, Princeton Jct. comes to mind). That may be helpful in slowing traffic down, and prevent drivers from daydreaming.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2009, 11:58 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

No the raod is a county road, so that was never done.

Speed bumps don't work and actually cause more problems. It's a large falsehood. Actually the slow down signs like we had are shown to be more effective.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2009, 8:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

I think that if all of us slow down and and all of us stop for people in crosswalks it will help. I see many towns people I know speeding and failing to stop for the pedestrians. If we watch how we are driving then there won't be half as much of a problem. This is our town, lets slow down and pay attention when we drive especially during school opening and closing.

With Halloween coming up, Please Please drive slower !

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 24 2009, 9:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Stopping at Cross walks Reply with quote

From what I've observed, a lot of the disrespectful illegal speeders and dangerous drivers that don't stop for people crossing are not local residents living or doing business on Main Street. They are vehicles trying to use Main Street as an alternative to Route 130 when it is backed up.

The worst are the trucks that blaze past determined to win at Chicken with any foot traffic in their way. The other day I was carrying my 4 year old in my arms and trying to cross and this huge dump truck going 35 or more just plowed right past me -- swerving into the other lane to not slow down when I was already in the crosswalk. He looked me straight in the eye with contempt and determination as if I was a fly that needed swatting for having the gall to be in his path.

Anyway, here’s my question. Is there any way we could place restrictions on some of the roads during rush how to try and discourage the people just using Main Street as some express lane to by-pass Route 130?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2