School bus crash on Old Trenton
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:40 am EDT    Post subject: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Anyone have more information on the school bus incident on Old Trenton this morning?

Our kids bus never showed up then we heard later that it broke down, then later still that it collided with a car (no details on who was responsible). Anyone know what happened and if everyone is okay?

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:51 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

I saw a wrecked car and a school bus near the intersection of Old Trenton Rd. and Lynch Way this morning.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 10:03 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

It was definitely one of the school buses serving Cranbury. But apparently it was before any kids were on it.

Anyone see it happen? Would be good to know who was at fault.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Maybe it would be a good time to have a lower speed limit on that road.

But that was discussed in the past, and didn't happen....I guess it was deemed not necessary.

That reminds me of the time when I stopped on Old Trenton Road because a soccer ball rolled right out in front of my car.....but the traffic behind me just zipped past me, and kids were standing on the side of the road looking at their ball. 50mph is a little bit too fast. 35 or 40 seems more suitable.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

But that was discussed in the past, and didn't happen....I guess it was deemed not necessary.

That reminds me of the time when I stopped on Old Trenton Road because a soccer ball rolled right out in front of my car.....but the traffic behind me just zipped past me, and kids were standing on the side of the road looking at their ball. 50mph is a little bit too fast. 35 or 40 seems more suitable.

The problem is the road is under county control. They got the county to do a study a couple years ago and it deemed it unncessary to lower the speed limit. The crazy part is that as soon as you cross the bridge into East Windsor the speed limit is lowered to 40 MPH in what is an industrial park area with no residences, kids or foot traffic near the road. Makes no sense in comparison, though I believe it is a different county which is probably the answer.
Crash

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Why does it matter who's fault the accident was? Are you not going to put your kids on a bus now? Should you not be able to drive your kids if you've had an accident that was your fault? No kids were on the bus, maybe the nosy residents should just mind there own business.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 10:51 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

ARE you kidding me?? 35??? The speed limit is fine how it is...It has been like that for a long time, how many kids have ever got hit on that road??? Its bad enought they made it no passing!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 30 2009, 11:19 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Crash wrote:
Why does it matter who's fault the accident was? Are you not going to put your kids on a bus now? Should you not be able to drive your kids if you've had an accident that was your fault? No kids were on the bus, maybe the nosy residents should just mind there own business.

Of course it matters. If there is evidence the bus driver was negligent (which no one has suggested thus far), then it certainly is reasonable to have the school consider asking for another driver. It will all depend on the circumstances, which none of us seem to know thus far. When you drive your own kids its up to you to be responsible. When the school hires someone to drive them, it’s up to the school to take reasonable steps to make sure it has responsible drivers. Not every driver is and there are accidents every year in this country involving drivers who were negligent and in hindsight had a pattern of dangerous behavior. I suspect you don’t have kids taking the bus if you don’t understand that.

Also, in this particular case, the bus in question already has a questionable track record this year, being frequently late, having kids standing in the aisles without seats available, still having not assigned most kids seats weeks into the school year and a new driver (the second so far since school started) who didn’t know the route before taking on the kids who has gotten lost making wrong turns already. Just last week the same bus broke down completely on Main Street and no one contacted the parents. Most kids had cell phones and the parents came to get them but for those who didn’t they were left hanging out until they fixed it.

Perhaps all of that can fairly be summed up as growing pains of a new bus company and a new driver. But it is certainly reasonable for a parent to want to know that the school is looking into the accident and making sure there is no pattern of behavior adding up. There is no presumption of guilt here, only a reasonable standard of inquiry. But to suggest that it doesn’t matter regardless of what the circumstances turn out to be is either callous or naïve.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 8:38 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Guest-

Good attempt to respond to Crash's post, but I feel you waste your time in doing so. Either one, Crash is trolling around to provoke a response. Or, he/she does not get it. One should not need to explain why we should care whether a situation in which we place our children (a bus ride or something else) is safe. I'd prefer to have my "nosy neighbors," as Crash puts it ,remain engaged in the welfare of our kids and community.
bus company

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 9:39 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

I think the school switched back to the old bus company. The bus driver for my area (in Shadow Oaks) is the same one when my kid was in kindergarten (now she is in 5th grade). She is very reliable.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:04 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
The problem is the road is under county control. They got the county to do a study a couple years ago and it deemed it unncessary to lower the speed limit. The crazy part is that as soon as you cross the bridge into East Windsor the speed limit is lowered to 40 MPH in what is an industrial park area with no residences, kids or foot traffic near the road. Makes no sense in comparison, though I believe it is a different county which is probably the answer.

The "study" was a bit weird. They put speed sensors on the road for a few weeks, and determined that 85% of the traffic drove at or below the speed limit, therefore the current speed limit it fine. That makes no sense to me. If the speed limit was posted as 70, you'd also see at least 85% of the traffic at or below that speed... that doesn't mean it's a safe speed!!!

There are driveways and cross streets along Old Trenton Road. Entering and exiting the road is downright dangerous. I can't tell you how many times a day you hear brakes squealing and cars swerving when a car needs to make a turn onto a sidestreet or driveway. There are lots of accidents. There are places where there is no sidewalk so pedestrians are forced to walk on the road.

The town has repeatedly asked the county to lower the speed limit to 40MPH. The county does not seem interested. 50MPH makes no sense for a residential street. To compare, Route 133, a divided, limited-access highway, also has a 50MPH speed limit.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:27 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

bus company wrote:
I think the school switched back to the old bus company. The bus driver for my area (in Shadow Oaks) is the same one when my kid was in kindergarten (now she is in 5th grade). She is very reliable.

The school said itwas a new company. 3 of the 5 drivers are veterans of our routes but 2, including this one, are new. This is actually the second new driver for this route already this year. The first worked only a week or so then gave one (morning only) training to the replacement new driver.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:30 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

50 MPH is just fine. Have you ever been behind someone driving 40 or lower? It seems very slow. Everyone is tailgating.
If the speed limit were lowered, everyone would complain about getting ticketed.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 10:48 am EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
50 MPH is just fine. Have you ever been behind someone driving 40 or lower? It seems very slow. Everyone is tailgating.
If the speed limit were lowered, everyone would complain about getting ticketed.

I totaly agree... Can you imagine the speed limit at 35mph going down that strip of old trenton rd?? People would get so many tickets. It is bad enough they made it a no passing zone. I always get stuck behind the people who are doing 35mph. Its so annoying!
What does it matter?

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 12:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

Crash wrote:

Really, I agree. Get over it already. Stuff happens!

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 1 2009, 12:58 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: School bus crash on Old Trenton Reply with quote

What does it matter? wrote:
Crash wrote:

Really, I agree. Get over it already. Stuff happens!

Half of these people on here have nothing better to do then bicker about stupid things. I think we should all be happy that no one was hurt on the bus. All the children made it home safe yesterday - we should be HAPPY about this and count our blessings. But to many non working mothers around here have nothing better to do then complain complain and complain!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2