Internet fraud alert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Garage Sale | ForSale Ads | Things to Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2009, 9:22 am EDT    Post subject: Internet fraud alert Reply with quote

If you sold stuff on craiglist.com or on the Internet, here is a fraud scheme I learned recently. See if you can detect the scheme.

1. You posted a for-sale ad on the Internet.

2. You received the following email:

----------------------------

Hi,
I'm glad it's still for sale. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail you your payment which I'm sure you will get it in about 4 - 6 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. Money Order or cashier check is the means I can pay you with. If this is acceptable by you, Send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mail out immediately. I will also make
arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment.
Awaiting your info.
Thanks
Susan
----------------------------------------------------

3. A few days later, another email:

---------------------------------------------

I urgently have bring something to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another transaction was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the balance to me via western union. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this?
I will await your response on this so my mind can be at rest.
Thanks
Susan
---------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon, Oct 26 2009, 4:22 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Internet fraud alert Reply with quote

The emailer gets your info then your bank account info and robs you blind. Nobody falls for this stuff anymore, it is common practice. Almost as common as the "You've won a lottery from another country" scam, just sed the emailer your info !

I guess some still fall for it, shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Garage Sale | ForSale Ads | Things to Trade All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1