Main Street Parking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
My 2 Cents

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 5:28 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

So this all started with a few cones in a parking space blocking some leaf piles? I suspect the person who coned off the leaf piles was doing so to stop people like quest from parking on top of them and having a fire start under their car.
I know people like quest would just park on top of the leaves instead of walking another few feet and not even think of the possibility of their car catching fire.
Now I have heard that since this discussion has sprung up, the TC has heard of it and taken notice. They are in direct negotiations to tear down the old PNC building and erect a 4 story parking deck like in New Brunswick (where is Cranbury Sauce when you actually need them?).

As evident by quest continuing to reply to posts, he/she is just doing so to create controversy. He/she is just getting their fancy with trying to upset people on here. Do not fuel them !

I too miss how Cranbury was even just a few years ago !!!
Quest

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:20 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Lucky Cranbury! We did not pay towards pension for 12 years and our obligation has just gone away. Why did we not pay for 12 years? Another brilliant thought instead of placing leaves out a week before pickup why not a day or two.

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:44 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Quest wrote:
Lucky Cranbury! We did not pay towards pension for 12 years and our obligation has just gone away. Why did we not pay for 12 years? Another brilliant thought instead of placing leaves out a week before pickup why not a day or two.

So let me get this straight. You are okay with someone coning off the space for a couple of days? No one knows what day the leaf crew will come by so one would have to call the Township daily to see the schedule.

Second, if you are opposed to the person coning off the space, then someone could park there regardless of leaf clean up day.

I think it is funny that people complain about having to walk a few feet, but no one complains that by parking in the space you are preventing whoever this person is from getting their leaves picked up or as the other poster said the risk of fire depending on the size of the pile.

I don't support coning off the spot, but I can see the issue this person is facing just as I see the issue of not having the space available.
Quest

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:12 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

I'm the daughter of the older woman who the man helped carry the package to the post office. She had to park half way up Bunker Hill. Just quessing it is about 5 0r 6 hundred feet she is 84 years old . I'll let her know that most younger people in town consider this just a few feet. There is lots of parking all you have to do is walk. I also know that the leaf pickup has a schedule with is guite accurate. Oh! almost everyday there is a car on fire that has parked on top of leaves on Main St. They must be part time police officers thank them so much for protecting me. This must be what the other poster meant about the old and new Cranbury. Old Cranbury was a very nice place. Now new Cranbury has to compassion of a mad dog . Amazing how many people are guick to say put your leaves out when ever you want and you grandma just walk another mile!
Frank Brennan, III

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:39 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

I feel compelled to reply to this post because I was the one who put out the cones to block of some rather large leaf piles in front of our office. Two or three times each fall we gather all of the leaves from our yard and put them in the street to be collected, as most in town do. But the piles are large and people park on top them. This is not very safe but people do it anyway. Its not only a potential fire issue, but when it rains and the leaves are driven upon for several days, they quickly turn to a big pile of leaf mud which clogs up the drain in the street and causes the stormwater to back up. It also makes a mess to walk and park in. Thus, many years ago, we started coning off the piles. We generally try leave a space in the middle for parking. Usually the cones are only there for a few days. I did not see this as being a problem because its only a few days out of the year, but I certainly understand and appreciate the points of the posters who do not like to lose parking spots downtown. All that said, we will do our best to keep the piles consolidated to maximize parking. If anyone has a better solution, just give me a call or stop and talk to me. Such a conversation could have saved lots of posting.

~Frank Brennan, III
609-395-5533

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 10:36 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

No Cranbury also did not contribute one cent toward school employee pensions for 12 years
Quest

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:05 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Just had to reply to Mr funny my 2 cents. All us sheep in town should just sit back and not cause any problem because out of work comedians like him know what is good for the rest of the town. If we torn down the PNC building and build a parking garage we would have to give half of the parking spaces to the building next door. From what I hear the town has allowed the old post office owner to rent to someone with quite a few employees ,of course the building has only a few parking spaces of their own and somehow have permission to parking in the PNC lot . That is why it is always half full. My question is why do we allow people to rent more space then they have parking for and whydo we allow subdivisions that are harmful to the parking situation?
Or maybe just leave the town in the hands of 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:55 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Quest wrote:
I'm the daughter of the older woman who the man helped carry the package to the post office. She had to park half way up Bunker Hill. Just quessing it is about 5 0r 6 hundred feet she is 84 years old . I'll let her know that most younger people in town consider this just a few feet. There is lots of parking all you have to do is walk. I also know that the leaf pickup has a schedule with is guite accurate. Oh! almost everyday there is a car on fire that has parked on top of leaves on Main St. They must be part time police officers thank them so much for protecting me. This must be what the other poster meant about the old and new Cranbury. Old Cranbury was a very nice place. Now new Cranbury has to compassion of a mad dog . Amazing how many people are guick to say put your leaves out when ever you want and you grandma just walk another mile!

I drive and walk by there every day and cannot remember the last time the closest spot to the post office was half way up Bunker Hill. Wouldn't the public spots in the lot off Park have been much closer? And many other options...

PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:59 am EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Quest,

Do you honestly think there is a bigger draw to down town today then when there was a deli, pharmacy, and hardware store, dry cleaner, etc...? I know I would make trips down town weekly back then. I may go once every two weeks now.

I don't see how one can say the parking is bad now when there are plenty of spots available to anyone who is willing to walk and then at the same time look back in the past and say it was fine. In fact there are more spots available now then back then. You will never see a town that has parking available in front of every business you would want to visit. Walking is always required unless you are lucky.

In terms of allowing we have zoning rules and regulations. The only way to Not Allow building in an established zone is to preserve every bit of land possible. That takes money and massive debt on the town's part.
CranburySauce

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 1 2009, 5:19 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

You're right, this is a job for Cranbury Sauce:

http://cranburysauce.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/in-the-name-of-parking-ballet-schools-bubble-is-burst/

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 1 2009, 7:13 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Good job Cranbury Sauce - keep 'em coming!
Parking

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 1 2009, 8:20 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

To think that the biggest problem that we can talk about is "Parking" and "New Cranbury" vs "Old". You folks need a reality check.

PostPosted: Tue, Dec 1 2009, 9:12 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Can we all just agree to disagree and move on.
How about we all try to come up with a positive thing about Cranbury?

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 2 2009, 2:26 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

(crickets)...anyone...something positive????...(crickets)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 2 2009, 4:33 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Okay, I'll except the challenge.

1) We still have a Christmas Tree lighting when other towns are doing away with them, we still are old fashioned which is great.

2) In summer our neighbors bring over vegetables and we bring over ours.

3) In winter we'll shovel our walk and neighbors and they'll do ours.

4) Walking downtown, going to Teddy's or the Blue Rooster you run into friends and neighbors. My in-laws are always amazed at how everyone knows one another.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 2 2009, 5:35 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Main Street Parking Reply with quote

Here are mine:

Great school, low property tax (as compared to neighboring towns), and nice town.

I also have great hope for the new additions to the TC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Shopping | Good Deals | Price Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5