Mr. Haney Resigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguest

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 7:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Just posted in the agenda for Tuesday's BOE meeting that Mr. Haney has resigned effective 12/1/2010.

http://portal.cranburyschool.org/boe/Agenda/11_02_10_Agenda.pdf

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 7:55 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

newguest wrote:
Just posted in the agenda for Tuesday's BOE meeting that Mr. Haney has resigned effective 12/1/2010.

http://portal.cranburyschool.org/boe/Agenda/11_02_10_Agenda.pdf

Boy do I miss the days of Charlie Argento. A guy who understood the town, the school and wanted to be here because it was a small school system that was great academically and student wise. I hope they find a person who wants and appreciates a small school atmosphere.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 8:39 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Anyone knows why?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 8:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Also it's effective Dec. 1. Too bad he didn't finish the school year.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 9:00 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Boy do I miss the days of Charlie Argento...

For all of us newbies, who is Charlie Argento, how long ago was he principal, and what is his claim to fame? just interested. In recent memory we ought to be missing Mr.Dr.Bartoletti and Mrs. Malouff, and how the school seemed more small town and welcoming. too bad Haney is leaving, hopefully someone will post what happened...

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 9:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Are the other posters implying that Mr. Haney wasn't a small town school person? I never had any problem with him myself.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 9:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Boy do I miss the days of Charlie Argento...

For all of us newbies, who is Charlie Argento, how long ago was he principal, and what is his claim to fame? just interested. In recent memory we ought to be missing Mr.Dr.Bartoletti and Mrs. Malouff, and how the school seemed more small town and welcoming. too bad Haney is leaving, hopefully someone will post what happened...

Charlie Argento was a long term principal here over 20 years if I recall correctly I forget what year he first started, but he left in 88. Bob replaced Charlie and IMO that is when things started to go in the wrong direction.

Charlie was a sole principal and superintendent. He always appreciated that the town was small and understood the dynamic between the school and town and how one had to work with the other. He saw the biggest investment was the teacher and student relationships. He didn't look to have a large staff of administrators or want to build the school bigger and better because he saw this as a stepping stone job. Rather this was HIS school and our kids were HIS kids. Under his tenure Cranbury was just as good and just as highly valued. That is why when I hear the new administrators come in with this is how we HAVE to do things I cringe. It is not that we HAVE to do something or that bigger means better, it is that they want to do something so they can build themselves.

Please know I don't know Mr. Haney personally and this is not meant as a negative on him. I am just comparing how Charlie Argento operated compared to recent principals.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:00 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

You don't know Mr. Haney but you do feel qualified to conclude that since 1988 "things went wrong" with the school and therefore imply that the current administrators are managing it poorly.

First of all, it's hard to compare 1988 and before to now. Cranbury is much more populous now so by definition it’s going to be different. Entire neighborhoods like Cranbury Greene didn’t exist then.

But more importantly, can you qualify how the school is wrong now or since them? In that time it has received the Blue Ribbon award not once but twice. How many times did it receive it before 1988? It's reputation in the state and nationally as an excellent public school has only grown since then. And I haven't seen the test schools pre-1988, but I would be surprised if they are worse now overall and not surprised if they are better.

So how exactly did it go wrong? You mention cooperation with the Township but qualify how exactly that doesn’t exist and how it has resulted in a less successful school for our kids? And where do you get the idea that the school is littered with administrators everywhere now? You mentioned one position that is now two. But did you compare the number of students now versus then before you assumed that was a mistake?

I am open to hearing legitimate concerns about the quality of the school now but so far it just sounds like "good old days" nostalgia -- everything was better before because change is bad, right?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Is it a money issue?
Maybe, since we got another Blue Ribbon under his watch, he was lured away to some big school with more $?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Perhaps Ms. Alsonso will apply?

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
You don't know Mr. Haney but you do feel qualified to conclude that since 1988 "things went wrong" with the school and therefore imply that the current administrators are managing it poorly.

First of all, it's hard to compare 1988 and before to now. Cranbury is much more populous now so by definition it’s going to be different. Entire neighborhoods like Cranbury Greene didn’t exist then.

But more importantly, can you qualify how the school is wrong now or since them? In that time it has received the Blue Ribbon award not once but twice. How many times did it receive it before 1988? It's reputation in the state and nationally as an excellent public school has only grown since then. And I haven't seen the test schools pre-1988, but I would be surprised if they are worse now overall and not surprised if they are better.

So how exactly did it go wrong? You mention cooperation with the Township but qualify how exactly that doesn’t exist and how it has resulted in a less successful school for our kids? And where do you get the idea that the school is littered with administrators everywhere now? You mentioned one position that is now two. But did you compare the number of students now versus then before you assumed that was a mistake?

I am open to hearing legitimate concerns about the quality of the school now but so far it just sounds like "good old days" nostalgia -- everything was better before because change is bad, right?

We had a blue ribbon school before. I knew all the administrators prior to Mr. Haney and was actively involved with the school. What When Mr. Haney came in right away our public library was a safety concern. When Bob was here he spoke often of his plans for the school growth and vision.

I am not saying the staff since Charlie made the school worse. I am saying they did not see the school as their last stop except for Carol who I knew as an English teacher as well.

The school has always been top. However, the school administration in the past also understood the economics. It was not give me this and that. The reason being that the Charlie did not want to use this as a stepping stone.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

We had a blue ribbon school before. I knew all the administrators prior to Mr. Haney and was actively involved with the school. What When Mr. Haney came in right away our public library was a safety concern. When Bob was here he spoke often of his plans for the school growth and vision.

I am not saying the staff since Charlie made the school worse. I am saying they did not see the school as their last stop except for Carol who I knew as an English teacher as well.

The school has always been top. However, the school administration in the past also understood the economics. It was not give me this and that. The reason being that the Charlie did not want to use this as a stepping stone.

And by the way there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to do better. I would just hope that whoever we hire wants to be here long term and wants to take ownership in the school, to work with residents on providing a solid education while understanding the small town restrictions such as costs to the tax payer, to understand that they may have to have 5, 10, 15 year plans so things don't have to be immediate and that Cranbury is not like many other towns.

We have gone through our massive building of residential and students will come from turnover of existing homes for the most part. So whoever we get I hope understands that this is not a Princeton size school district or a private school district.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 30 2010, 1:29 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

Why, I remember old Principal Cruickshank back in 1897.
He took a hickory switch to our bottoms everyday of the week, whether we deserved it or no.
And we LOVED him fer it.
Ya don't git thet kinda love no more from Principals nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 30 2010, 1:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

And I hope they realize the library does not have a safety issue and was created to support the nonexistent need for a new library by using the childrens saftey to scare everyone.

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

And by the way there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to do better. I would just hope that whoever we hire wants to be here long term and wants to take ownership in the school, to work with residents on providing a solid education while understanding the small town restrictions such as costs to the tax payer, to understand that they may have to have 5, 10, 15 year plans so things don't have to be immediate and that Cranbury is not like many other towns.

We have gone through our massive building of residential and students will come from turnover of existing homes for the most part. So whoever we get I hope understands that this is not a Princeton size school district or a private school district.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 30 2010, 2:34 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

[quote="Guest"]And I hope they realize the library does not have a safety issue and was created to support the nonexistent need for a new library by using the childrens saftey to scare everyone.
y

I take most people at their word. I see no reason to think that the school did not believe there was a safety issue. I see two problems with your theory. One, why would the school want a new library built. Two, if they did why would they agree to sign a lease with the library?

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 30 2010, 3:38 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Mr. Haney Resigns Reply with quote

I happen to know of three incidents that happened in the library that could be seen as unsafe. One was a man who was acting strangely and somehow got into the school from the library. Secondly, there was another person for some reason was offering candy to the children during the school day. Recently, there was an incident when someone was viewing a website that another person thought was inappropriate. The police were called and it was determined that no crime had taken place....
But the public library is a public place and anyone can come in. It is also part of the school. I think John Haney was right in trying to make the school a safer place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2