Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 8:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Does anyone have a problem or thoughts about Gov. Christie taking a $12 million helicopter to his kids t-ball game?

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 8:40 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Does anyone have a problem or thoughts about Gov. Christie taking a $12 million helicopter to his kids t-ball game?

Wow! A $12 million ride! This is too expensive. Was it an official business?

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 9:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

I haven't seen the story but it doesn't sound right. I have chartered helicopter rides for my company and you can do it for thousands, not millions. You could buy a helicopter for $12 million.

Can you provide the link that explains how they came up with this figure?

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 9:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Just did a 10 second Google search and already found this $12 million claim to be BS. See the Reuters article. The $12M is the cost of the helicopter which is irrelevant to the cost of the flight. That’s like quoting the cost to buy Air Force One every time the President flies in it. Meaningless.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/01/us-christie-helicopter-idUSTRE7507UU20110601

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 9:33 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

I apologize, I should have been more specific. The helicopter cost $12 million as the earlier poster pointed out. Still, it seems like an abuse of power especially given the state of the economy and how sensitive many are towards this kind if thing. I was just interested in reading some of your thoughts on the matter.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 9:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Why couldn't he have take a police cruiser with the lights on?

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 1 2011, 11:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Why couldn't he have take a police cruiser with the lights on?

Yeah, and drive real fast on the parkway median. Oh, yeah, that didn't work out well for the last Governor.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 3:39 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

....and then take the state helicopter to meet with Iowa Republicans who were visiting NJ to persuade him to run for president. He had no "offical" businees scheduled for that day.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 8:31 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

I am simply in awe of us as a people that we can engineer a machine that can pick up a 350 pound man, transport him through the air and safely return him to earth. Now that's technology!

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 9:34 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

I was surprised. It was a tone deaf move politically. It makes him look elitist. Since government funds are involved it gives his opponents more ammunition than the more typical governmental elitism charge i.e. Newt's $500,000 Tiffanies credit line, Edwards $400 hair cut.

While it was a stupid move. I don't think he will be foolish enough to do it again, and a year from now his opponents will still have it on their list of Christie blunders, but if it is a one off event, no big deal.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 10:05 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

What would Gov. Christie be saying if the President of Rutgers or Col. Fuentes or any Senator took a state helicopter to their son's baseball game? He would be slamming them up and down for being so wasteful. Those DJ's on 101.5 couldn't be more further up Christie's butt defending him for wasting that money. I bet that if anyone else did this they would be crucified in the media.
He wants everyone else to cut back and be fiscally responsible. I guess it is the old saying, "Do as I say, not as I do".
I like that he is a family man and wanted to see his son play but take a car.
How disruptive was that whole scene of a helicopter landing during the baseball game?

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 10:14 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

It was dumb. If there had been a state purpose at either end of the trip, maybe, but to use it to go from a meeting about your possible presidential run to your kids event makes it hypocritical. The argument that they would have done test flights anyway so it didn't cost anything is lame. As the previous poster noted, Christie himself would have been lambasting such an argument if others had done it.

But Christie seems to not really care when he comes across as arrogant, elitist or hypocritical. Like many polticians and celebrities basking in the glow of power and popularity, he has convinced himself that he is immune to consequences. The same mindset that let Clinton believe he could get away with getting BJ's from an intern in the White House is at work here, just manifest a different way. Power trips know no party lines.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 12:52 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-02/christie-taking-2-500-helicopter-ride-to-son-s-game-may-cost-him-support.html

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 1:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-02/christie-taking-2-500-helicopter-ride-to-son-s-game-may-cost-him-support.html

This shows his fine judgement, not a presidential material for sure.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 3:04 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

I am glad that some Cranbury residents are finally taking on this weighty problem

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 2 2011, 3:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gov. Christie's Helicopter Ride Reply with quote

NJ to Be Reimbursed for Governor’s Copter Ride

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-02/christie-will-reimburse-new-jersey-for-personal-use-of-police-helicopter.html

Christie Slammed for Chopper Ride to Son’s Game

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-01/christie-slammed-for-chopper-ride-to-son-s-game.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3