Gee, you think the school vote is today?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cranberrian

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 1:46 pm EDT    Post subject: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Our family has so far received 5 calls and 3 emails about the school board election and budget vote today. and no sign of it stopping any time soon.

I'm all for getting the word out, and will vote of course, but I think they accomplished that a few calls ago...
Vote No

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 2:27 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Vote no for the school budget
guesting

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 4:15 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Why did Cranbury school district not switch to the November voting like over 80% of other school districts?
Science Fair

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 4:16 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Is the science fair tonight
yes

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 4:54 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Science Fair wrote:
Is the science fair tonight

Yes.
poorer by the day

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 9:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

It seems they want to be sure that they stack the voting deck against the Seniors. The vote should in all good sense be held at the same time as the general election. Remember this is run by the "There is nothing too good for my child" group. Unfortunatly once their child graduates they move and we are left with the bills!
or

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 17 2012, 9:37 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

poorer by the day wrote:
It seems they want to be sure that they stack the voting deck against the Seniors. The vote should in all good sense be held at the same time as the general election. Remember this is run by the "There is nothing too good for my child" group. Unfortunatly once their child graduates they move and we are left with the bills!

That's one point of view. I would take the opposite and say that by keeping it in April we all get a say in the school budget, a right we lose with the move to November. Personally I would rather have a say up-or-down with the budget and not give the Board an automatic pass to raise the budget without a vote.

And there is nothing to prevent seniors from voting in April BTW.
guesting

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 23 2012, 1:42 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Would we not all have a say in school budget if vote was in November as opposed to April? I don't understand? And there nothing preventing school parents from voting in November.
NJBudgetLaw

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 23 2012, 3:57 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

Due to a change in NJ law, if our district had chosen to have elections in November, the taxpayers do not get a chance to vote on the budget as long as it meets a certain percentage cap on increases. Here's one article that describes the new law: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/new_law_allows_nj_towns_to_can.html
wow

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 23 2012, 5:48 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

If this is true, and I am not suggesting it is not, how incredibly ridiculous! So we can vote in April - a time of lower turnout. But if in November, during the normal election cycle, we cannot?! I would love to see the reasoning for that.
guest31

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 23 2012, 9:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Gee, you think the school vote is today? Reply with quote

wow wrote:
If this is true, and I am not suggesting it is not, how incredibly ridiculous! So we can vote in April - a time of lower turnout. But if in November, during the normal election cycle, we cannot?! I would love to see the reasoning for that.

It's definitely true. This was big news at the time. Why do you think so many school boards are jumping at the chance to move their elections to November, knowing it takes the budget vote away from people. Ours didn't, which I respect. They debated it for hours and it was a close split vote. Everyone wanted to do the right thing but when one choice means denying people the right to vote on the budget and the other means elections in a traditionally low turn-out time there is no easy answer.

Of course parents could come out in November, BTW, and do. That's not why they stuck with April. And, BTW, the actual demographics of who votes in April may surprise you. It skews disproportionately toward the people living in the senior living neighborhood and older people. So even in April the seniors seem to find their way. It's the parents and younger voters that can't/don't find the time for a school election, even with the science fair right next door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> School | Parenting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1