Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Moody

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 27 2012, 3:35 pm EDT    Post subject: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

What is the speed limit on Cranbury Neck Road once you get beyond the 25 mph sign at the edge of the village on the way to Princeton Junction? There is no indication as to where the 25 mph limit ends while the next sign - for 40 mph - is not until the other side of Rabbit Hill Road - before it reduces to 25 mph again close to Grover's Mill Pond. The same coming the other way - plus an advisory yellow 25 mph sign before you reach the mandatory 25 mph sign after the slight rise.

Do we assume that the 25 mph becomes 40 mph once you get over the slight rise and remains 40 mph all the way past Stults' farm? Or is it 50 mph which is the max in NJ on rural roads if there is no sign? I assume the latter.

A number of cars appear to think there is no speed limit since nothing is indicated although I believe I'm correct in saying that the max limit on any rural road is 50 mph.

Many cars drive at 65 mph and sometimes 70 mph on the stretch after the slight rise and before the traffic lights at Stults' farm which presumably is way over the limit. The cops could have a field day on that stretch.

Would someone please educate me. Thanks.
me

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 27 2012, 4:11 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Yes, 50 mph is the speed you can use to argue with the cop if get caught. People driving more than 50mph there does not mean the speed limit is more than 50mph.
guestpass

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 27 2012, 4:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Yes, this is annoying. They seem to be intentionally making it hard to know what the legal limit is. However, I called both the Cranbury and Plainsboro PD's to find out the facts.

In Cranbury, Cranbury Neck become legally 50 MPH the moment you pass Wynnewood if heading toward Plainsboro, or remains 50 MPH until you hit Wynnewood coming toward Cranbury Village. Many people are rightfully confused by the lack of a sign indicating the change in speed after this road and seem to make up their own assumptions, gradually increasing to 35 MPH until they pass Applegate Court which seems to be the place where they all assume it goes to either 40 or 50 MPH even without the sign.

The other direction is just as confusing now that West Windsor have changed the speed limits in their portion of Cranbury Neck. Whereas it was previously legally 50 MPH until you reached the park next to Grover's Mill, it now becomes 40 MPH the moment you cross the bridge between Plainsboro and West Windsor, just after Grover's Mill Road (which is not near Grover's Mill itself). It's clear when traveling in the direction of West Windsor, but there are no signs on Cranbury Neck when traveling toward Plainsboro or Cranbury to note that the speed increases to 50 MPH once you leave West Windsor. As a result, most drivers seem to travel closer to 40 MPH instead of the legal 50 MPH in the Plainsboro portion of Cranbury Neck.

If you want to organize support to go to the County and get proper signage put up noting the 50 MPH change in speed at the bridge and at Wynnewood, I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 27 2012, 5:06 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Further, leaving town is always an adventure. My assumption (right or wrong) is that the 25 mph zone (as you leave town) ends at the 25mph sign on the opposite side of the road, visible only as you enter town.

Anyway, I go 25 until I hit this point. An impatient lady was just about in my back seat this morning because I was going 25. Then she passed me in the 45/50 pmh zone as I was doing about 47 or 48. This area could use some clarification.
citizen

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 27 2012, 6:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

25 wrote:
Further, leaving town is always an adventure. My assumption (right or wrong) is that the 25 mph zone (as you leave town) ends at the 25mph sign on the opposite side of the road, visible only as you enter town.

Anyway, I go 25 until I hit this point. An impatient lady was just about in my back seat this morning because I was going 25. Then she passed me in the 45/50 pmh zone as I was doing about 47 or 48. This area could use some clarification.

If they passed you before you got to Ancil Davison, assuming they were heading in the direction of Plainsboro, they broke the law. It's a 50 MPH zone, not 45/50. 45 is the slowest someone should travel, except farm vehicles, unless they are willing to pull over to let faster traffic go by or in the passing zone. Up to 55 is fine in a 50 zone, ask the PD.
Richard Moody

PostPosted: Wed, May 2 2012, 7:02 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

guestpass wrote:
Yes, this is annoying. They seem to be intentionally making it hard to know what the legal limit is. However, I called both the Cranbury and Plainsboro PD's to find out the facts.

In Cranbury, Cranbury Neck become legally 50 MPH the moment you pass Wynnewood if heading toward Plainsboro, or remains 50 MPH until you hit Wynnewood coming toward Cranbury Village. Many people are rightfully confused by the lack of a sign indicating the change in speed after this road and seem to make up their own assumptions, gradually increasing to 35 MPH until they pass Applegate Court which seems to be the place where they all assume it goes to either 40 or 50 MPH even without the sign.

The other direction is just as confusing now that West Windsor have changed the speed limits in their portion of Cranbury Neck. Whereas it was previously legally 50 MPH until you reached the park next to Grover's Mill, it now becomes 40 MPH the moment you cross the bridge between Plainsboro and West Windsor, just after Grover's Mill Road (which is not near Grover's Mill itself). It's clear when traveling in the direction of West Windsor, but there are no signs on Cranbury Neck when traveling toward Plainsboro or Cranbury to note that the speed increases to 50 MPH once you leave West Windsor. As a result, most drivers seem to travel closer to 40 MPH instead of the legal 50 MPH in the Plainsboro portion of Cranbury Neck.

If you want to organize support to go to the County and get proper signage put up noting the 50 MPH change in speed at the bridge and at Wynnewood, I'm all for it.

Thanks for clarifying the 50 mph limit and where it starts and ends on Cranbury Neck Rd. I drive it most days and it's certainly not clear.

I'd be glad to help you with a petition but a far more important petition would be to get the TC to stop the use of daytime fire and first aid call out sirens now that they are no longer used during night time hours. But I've been there before and nobody else wants to stand up and take it before the TC which I did about 18 months ago.

And no more personal abuse on this topic please!
Dick Crabby

PostPosted: Thu, May 3 2012, 7:12 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Richard Moody wrote:
guestpass wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the 50 mph limit and where it starts and ends on Cranbury Neck Rd. I drive it most days and it's certainly not clear.

I'd be glad to help you with a petition but a far more important petition would be to get the TC to stop the use of daytime fire and first aid call out sirens now that they are no longer used during night time hours. But I've been there before and nobody else wants to stand up and take it before the TC which I did about 18 months ago.

And no more personal abuse on this topic please!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I am not willing to lead the effort to resolve the issue, but if you do it for me, I'll support you.

Also, I want to take one more swipe at a totally unrelated issue that I got blasted for, but I don't want anyone to give me grief this time, MmmKay?
Give UP!

PostPosted: Thu, May 3 2012, 5:24 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

How did I know there was going to be something in this thread about the siren?!? Mr. Moody, please stop. You are not going to win when it comes to the issue of the siren and quite frankly, it's getting very annoying listening to you complain about it every chance you get.

On another note, I hope you have a FANTASTIC day!!!
Speeding right now

PostPosted: Thu, May 3 2012, 10:10 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

I am doing 65right now while typing this message and drinking a beer while I speed pass winwood since ther is not a sign and I cant determine the speed limit.

This is fun woohooooooooooooo
Richard Moody

PostPosted: Fri, May 4 2012, 4:41 pm EDT    Post subject: Sirens/Neon Signs Reply with quote

Give UP! wrote:
How did I know there was going to be something in this thread about the siren?!? Mr. Moody, please stop. You are not going to win when it comes to the issue of the siren and quite frankly, it's getting very annoying listening to you complain about it every chance you get.

On another note, I hope you have a FANTASTIC day!!!

Dear Give UP,

While we're on the topic of the outdated and unnecessary sirens, why don't we also discuss the inappropriate neon signs that have cropped up in our beautiful historic village. Such as those at the Cranbury Inn, Knapp's Cycles and the Bagel Barn.

Neon signs are unsuited to a village founded in 1697 with it's strict zoning rules. They detract from the beauty of one of the oldest and best preserved villages in New Jersey and surely must be in violation of the historic district's sign rules?
Bring back the sirens

PostPosted: Fri, May 4 2012, 5:47 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Let's ban those mechanical horses driving up and down Main Street also. Only horse and buggy's should be allowed since the mechanical horses don't fit in with the historic charm of the village.

BTW, everything is against the hysterical society's rules.

Mr. Moody, please stop complaining on this board about everything. Go move to the deep woods of P.A. And start your own town. You can make it as nice as you want it and you can listen to the crickets all night long.

The complaints you continue to make just make you sound unstable.
Reason

PostPosted: Fri, May 4 2012, 7:08 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

Why do businesses have signs? To attract customers. Would it be better to have unsuccessful businesses?

The size of the signs in question is very small as I recall. It is a shame that this person feels it necessary to constantly point to what others are "doing wrong" rather than contributing in a positive manner.
Richard Moody

PostPosted: Sat, May 5 2012, 8:42 pm EDT    Post subject: Sirens and Neon Signa. Reply with quote

Bring back the sirens wrote:
Let's ban those mechanical horses driving up and down Main Street also. Only horse and buggy's should be allowed since the mechanical horses don't fit in with the historic charm of the village.

BTW, everything is against the hysterical society's rules.

Mr. Moody, please stop complaining on this board about everything. Go move to the deep woods of P.A. And start your own town. You can make it as nice as you want it and you can listen to the crickets all night long.

The complaints you continue to make just make you sound unstable.

Dear Bring back the Sirens,

There are only two topics that I've negatively voiced my opinion about on this forum - the noise polluting sirens and the inappropriate neon signs.

My other comments in the Cranbury Press and in this Forum have been extremely complimentary about beautiful Cranbury. Why would anyone in their right mind put up with the sirens, which are so outdated, and also allow neon signs to creep into our historic village? A year ago, there was only one business with a neon sign and now we have three. Where will it stop?

As to my moving to P.A., as you suggest, are you referring to the Port Authority in NYC or PA as in Pennsylvania? I'd much prefer to move to an old mining town in Colorado such as Crested Butte where the sirens were silenced many years ago with all volunteers using pagers and texts and where no neon signs are allowed. Founded in 1880, the citizens have been successful in preserving the historic nature of a delightful village and they will not allow it to be polluted with obnoxious noise and ugly signs.

I'd be delighted to discuss this further with you over a cup of coffee at Teddy's - if only you were prepared to reveal your name. My cell number is 609 651 0693.
not true

PostPosted: Sat, May 5 2012, 9:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

You should re-read your old letters Mr. Moody. You seemed to be on a rant insulting all sorts of things from yellow Corvette's to decorative benches as I recall.
really

PostPosted: Sat, May 5 2012, 11:25 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

not true wrote:
You should re-read your old letters Mr. Moody. You seemed to be on a rant insulting all sorts of things from yellow Corvette's to decorative benches as I recall.

Really, He has a bench problem too? I missed that one. I remember the Yellow Corvette screed however.
ironic

PostPosted: Sun, May 6 2012, 10:45 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Speed Limit on Cranbury Neck Road Reply with quote

really wrote:
not true wrote:

Really, He has a bench problem too? I missed that one. I remember the Yellow Corvette screed however.

Yep, he was offended by the painted bench that used to be outside of Charmed by Claire's.

Ironically, here's his first post on this forum, where he goes on about great Cranbury is compared to terrible West Windsor where he had spent years posting complaints in its local papers and online forums:

http://www.cranbury.info/viewtopic.php?t=4190&highlight=moody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2