Thank you to our new neighbors in Cranbury
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-r923

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:52 pm EDT    Post subject: Thank you to our new neighbors in Cranbury Reply with quote

Our family moved to Cranbury in late July to south Main St. from Highland Park, NJ. 2 weeks ago, on Aug. 15, I suffered a severe asthma attack. I was in a coma for 2.5 days and unable to breath on my own and paralyzed on the right side of my body. I was in the Plainsboro hospital for 5 days then to the Elms of Cranbury for 4 days of physiotherapy. I am now doing very well and feel better every day.

During this time, my wife Jessica and our two young daughters (Aeshna and Zora), and many of our relatives from Canada, were visited by our new neighbors, most of whom we had only met once or twice. These wonderful people brought meals, cut our grass, helped with our move and offered their support. I was amazed to hear about all of the help my family received and can't imagine living in a more fantastic community!

Thank you so much to the five EMT personnel that worked on me and saved my life! Thanks to the doctors at Plainsboro who treated me. Thanks to the police officers who arrived on scene and stayed with my wife until a friend came to watch our girls so she could get to the ER. Finally, THANK YOU to our wonderful new neighbors in Cranbury!

Sincerely,
Jeremy Huff
FYI-1111-378r

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 30 2012, 12:12 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Thank you to our new neighbors in Cranbury Reply with quote

It is worth mentioning that in a life threatening case such as the one that was described, in addition to a basic life support(BLS) ambulance from Cranbury First Aid Squad and Cranbury Police being sent, a Mobile Intensive Care Unit(MICU), also called a paramedic unit or advanced life support(ALS) unit, would have been sent. The MICU is staffed by two highly trained state certified mobile intensive care paramedics . Paramedics have about 1500 hours of training in advanced medical procedures.They carry advanced medications and are able to perform advanced procedures such as administering life saving medications ,IV's, 12 lead EKGs, inserting a endotracheal tube(breathing tube), or even applying an emergency pacemaker. They are literally "an intensive care unit on wheels." The paramedics operate under standing order protocols and directly communicate with the emergency department physician. The paramedic units are hospital based meaning they work for area hospitals. EMT's have 110-220 hours of training. They provide basic life support which includes Oxygen, CPR, AED's, and first aid. The Cranbury EMT's respond with the ambulance.The paramedics are stationed in satellite units away from their base hospital to provide better geographic coverage. Cranbury Township is primarily covered by two paramedic units. A Capital Health System Paramedic Unit -Life 794 is stationed in East Windsor on One Mile Road and a Robert Wood Johnson Paramedic Unit -Med Rescue 6 is stationed in Monroe. University Medical Center at Princeton does not operate a paramedic unit. Patients requiring advanced life support who are being transported to Princeton from Cranbury are treated by a Capital Health or Robert Wood Johnson Paramedic Unit and transported by a Cranbury Ambulance. This is an everyday occurrence. Which paramedic unit is dispatched is determined by the location of the call. The paramedics respond in an SUV. If the patient has a potentially life threatening emergency the paramedics will initiate care on scene and will continue it on the way to the hospital in the back of the Cranbury Ambulance. If the paramedics evaluate the patient and determine that their services are not needed the patient is sent to the hospital with the Cranbury EMT's. If the Cranbury EMT's get on scene first and determine that a paramedic unit is not needed they will cancel the paramedics. Likewise if a paramedic unit has not been dispatched and the EMT's or the police determine that one is needed they can then request that a paramedic unit be dispatched. Sometimes the Cranbury Ambulance will begin transport and will meet up with a paramedic unit on the way to the hospital. This is why you may see an ambulance pulled over on the side of the road meeting up with the paramedics.

Often times when the "kudos" come out the paramedics are overlooked simply because it is assumed that they are part of the local first aid squad. They are a separate but critical entity. They work closely with the Cranbury EMT's, Cranbury Police, and other first responders to provide an important life saving service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> Blogs by Cranbury Residents All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1