Tax Payer Fund New Library
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-15o6

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 2:50 pm EST    Post subject: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

Article about the new library getting leftover furniture from Bristol Myers:

Bristol-Myers Squibb is renovating part of its Lawrenceville campus and is donating furniture to the Cranbury Library Foundation as it vacates one of the buildings. One hundred chairs, 75 bookshelves, as well as tables, desks and filing cabinets, will all be put to good use in the new library building. The current schedule is to break ground for the new library this spring and complete the construction by year-end.

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/the_cranbury_press/cranbury-library-inches-closer-to-finish-line-three-local-businesses/article_7f890344-e4a6-11e6-a788-27c9fc20c31e.html

While there is a lot of objection on the board, no one in town seems to want to publically object to the building which could be over $2 Million in taxpayer funding. $650,000 in library taxpayer funds already diverted to the new library from current services. $475.000 for the parking lot (if anyone thinks that is for a use other than the library, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you). $1 Million or more in contingency for likely cost overruns once construction starts.

It seems like most of the town is OK with this use of funds.

The picture of the donation is interesting, getting 75 bookshelves that are meant for offices, not book stacks in libraries. Does the library need 100 more office chairs? What is the use for more filing cabinets and office desks in the new library? Will there be additional expense to dispose of those in the future that the town will be obligated to pay?

The article states ground breaking is targeted for late Spring.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:21 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

Where are you getting 1 million for cost over runs being funded by the Town and taxpayer?

The TC had a meeting in November or December and made it very clear that they had to disclose the bids and show they had money in the bank with reserve.

The library has sent out mailers saying the TC will not allow the library to be built without showing cash in hand which is why they are pushing for the pledges to be received now. I've been called asking for my pledge to be provided now.

You can argue the parking lot, it was in the master plan as a build for the business. But, you can cite it and that's fine.

The taxpayer money for the library funding is by law the library's money. So yes it is tax dollars, but there is no legal means for anyone to tell the library how to spend it and if they ear mark it for a library that is their legal right. You can't blame the township for that.

However, the 1 million is just a blatant lie. And if the library is estimating the cost to be 3 million and they have the contractor bonding, then how are you getting to a 33% over run.

Further, for all we know since the TC is requiring proof of funds before ground breaking they may also require that proof of funds and approval be sought for any change order.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:07 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

anon-15o6 wrote:
Article about the new library getting leftover furniture from Bristol Myers:

Bristol-Myers Squibb is renovating part of its Lawrenceville campus and is donating furniture to the Cranbury Library Foundation as it vacates one of the buildings. One hundred chairs, 75 bookshelves, as well as tables, desks and filing cabinets, will all be put to good use in the new library building. The current schedule is to break ground for the new library this spring and complete the construction by year-end.

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/the_cranbury_press/cranbury-library-inches-closer-to-finish-line-three-local-businesses/article_7f890344-e4a6-11e6-a788-27c9fc20c31e.html

While there is a lot of objection on the board, no one in town seems to want to publically object to the building which could be over $2 Million in taxpayer funding. $650,000 in library taxpayer funds already diverted to the new library from current services. $475.000 for the parking lot (if anyone thinks that is for a use other than the library, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you). $1 Million or more in contingency for likely cost overruns once construction starts.

It seems like most of the town is OK with this use of funds.

The picture of the donation is interesting, getting 75 bookshelves that are meant for offices, not book stacks in libraries. Does the library need 100 more office chairs? What is the use for more filing cabinets and office desks in the new library? Will there be additional expense to dispose of those in the future that the town will be obligated to pay?

The article states ground breaking is targeted for late Spring.

We would prefer you not write such negative things and donate money to help build our new library. Once we build the new library you will be able to come and read about how libraries are no longer needed due to the internet and electronic books.

Tax deductible donations by check should be made payable to Cranbury Public Library Foundation and can be dropped off at the library or sent to:

Cranbury Public Library Foundation
23 N Main St
Cranbury, NJ 08512
anon-1rqr

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 3 2017, 4:28 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

I think it's time to clean house at the library. This has gone on long enough. It's time for the librarians to live in the present, and stop allowing the library to fall into the past.
donate library stop -pp98

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 5 2017, 9:19 am EST    Post subject: Library is anti President Trump Reply with quote

http://www.centraljersey.com/news/the_cranbury_press/cranbury-new-pac-forms-to-promote-tolerance-fairness-and-stewardship/article_94bbbfc2-ea2d-11e6-a15a-937ac4c3244a.html we need a new library and we have joined together with indivisible cranbury. we are the members of the library board and library foundation and we working with indivisible cranbury to stop a petty tyrant named Trump. we need a new library and we believe Donald trump’s agenda will take America backwards, and it must be stopped. the new library will be a safe environment from trump where our new partners indivisible cranbury can come and meet to work to stop Trump. rest assured when you give to help build our new library you will be helping to stop trump because libraries trump hate.

Tax deductible donations by check should be made payable to Cranbury Public Library Foundation and can be dropped off at the library or sent to:

Cranbury Public Library Foundation
23 N Main St
Cranbury, NJ 08512
anon-07o3

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 5 2017, 10:11 am EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

F your Library
anon-ppq5

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 6 2017, 11:46 am EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

I avoid posting anything on the Cranbury Forum. This is NOT a reliable source of information.
As a prime example: all the recent posts stating they are the CRANBURY PUBLIC LIBRARY FOUNDATION are not from the foundation, or the public library. For those searching for information in regards to the library, the foundation fund raising efforts please contact the library or me:
Kirstie Venanzi, President Cranbury Public Library Board of Trustees
venanzi@cranburypubliclibrary.org
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 6 2017, 4:44 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

Thank you Kirstie.

I also want to say that while a number of foundation members or the director are part of Indivisible Cranbury, the library is an entity and therefore apolitical. Further, each person has a right to their own view and to do what they feel is correct.

The library though is no more Indivisible than Teaparty.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 6 2017, 6:36 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

anon-ppq5 wrote:
I avoid posting anything on the Cranbury Forum. This is NOT a reliable source of information.
As a prime example: all the recent posts stating they are the CRANBURY PUBLIC LIBRARY FOUNDATION are not from the foundation, or the public library. For those searching for information in regards to the library, the foundation fund raising efforts please contact the library or me:
Kirstie Venanzi, President Cranbury Public Library Board of Trustees
venanzi@cranburypubliclibrary.org

she is a member and leader of Indivisible which is an extremest group. the library board and indivisible are the same people. the next indivisible meeting is in the library Indivisible Cranbury February Meeting Wednesday, February 15 at 6:30 PM Cranbury Public Library she can deny all she wants but she cannot deny the truth. the library is now working with and fundraising with an extremist group
anon-ppq7

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 9:14 am EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

From the pledge of allegiance:…” indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
These groups advocate being involved in politics - our community, our state, our nation. They are comprised of Democrats, Republican, Independents, Green Party, Unaffiliated. One lesson we all have learned in the past few months is that we need to be involved citizens – be educated, learn how to participate, share ideas. I welcome conversations. I look outside my comfort circle and want to engage in new ideas. I see the library as the perfect spot for these conversations, and all groups to meet.

This is what community library can be - a platform for ideas and getting together and listening to each other. All local groups are encouraged to meet in the public library.
If this is an example of extremism, then you are right: I am an extremist.
Thank you for making my day.
Kirstie Venanzi
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 10:30 am EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

Kirstie,

With all do respect this group is the left wing version of the right wing Tea Party.

That is fine as many people are progressives and should have a group they feel comfortable in just as many are strong conservatives and feel comfortable with the Tea Party. But, don't try to spin this group as a moderate mainstream group that is representative and inclusive of all ideas. This group has very specific language and goals that can turn people off. This group also defines it's members as progressives.

However, from it's own guide- https://www.indivisibleguide.com/web

- In spite of the fact that he has no mandate, he will attempt to use his congressional majority to reshape America in his own racist, authoritarian, and corrupt image. If progressives are going to stop this, we must stand indivisibly opposed to Trump and the Members of Congress (MoCs) who would do his bidding.

- If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump.

Advocacy:
Town halls. MoCs regularly hold public in-district events to show that they are listening to constituents. Make them listen to you, and report out when they don’t.

Other local public events. MoCs love cutting ribbons and kissing babies back home. Don’t let them get photo-ops without questions about racism, authoritarianism, and corruption.

District office visits. Every MoC has one or several district offices. Go there. Demand a meeting with the MoC. Report to the world if they refuse to listen.

Coordinated calls. Calls are a light lift, but can have an impact. Organize your local group to barrage your MoCs with calls at an opportune moment about and on a specific issue.
anon-15o6

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 11:21 am EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

The library is public property paid for by taxes. It is inappropriate to use public facilties for political action groups. The indivisible group is using the public library as a meeting place. The library is looking for more money for a bigger facility with more meeting space. Is this new taxpayer funded space to be used for expanded left wing political groups focused on resistance? The library should not have a political agenda.
anon-pp98

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 12:44 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

anon-ppq7 wrote:
From the pledge of allegiance:…” indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
These groups advocate being involved in politics - our community, our state, our nation. They are comprised of Democrats, Republican, Independents, Green Party, Unaffiliated. One lesson we all have learned in the past few months is that we need to be involved citizens – be educated, learn how to participate, share ideas. I welcome conversations. I look outside my comfort circle and want to engage in new ideas. I see the library as the perfect spot for these conversations, and all groups to meet.

This is what community library can be - a platform for ideas and getting together and listening to each other. All local groups are encouraged to meet in the public library.
If this is an example of extremism, then you are right: I am an extremist.
Thank you for making my day.
Kirstie Venanzi

The head of the Cranbury Public Library said she is an extremist
she needs to resign from the library board along with anyone else involved in this group from the library or library foundation
anon-10r2

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 1:14 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

Taking this argument the other way. If a hate group wanted to meet there would the library say yes? I hope they would do everything possible to say no even if it meant legal action.

Look at Indivisible Cranbury's mission statement on Facebook. It is not a nuanced group. They are not looking to have debate or discuss issues. It is purely anti-Trump, anti-legislation and anti-appointeees. It gives no room for consideration of potentially beneficial legislation (i.e. Infatructure spending) it gives no impression that someone who might have some proTrump ideas is welcome.

This is a closed group, invite only, approved membership and their posts are not public so if the only public part is this extreme it is a wonder what the closed messages say.

A truly open group and inclusive would not hide, base their position in concrete terms or use the hate language this does and people should ask questions about this group and members.

This is concerning to me and I will withhold my pledge until I get more clarity.

Scott
publius-q30r

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 8:01 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16388047_720824574747587_4207680000294739861_n.jpg?oh=7f87c6f1434583098100dabb4801d473&oe=5901C505
publius-q30r

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 7 2017, 8:03 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Tax Payer Fund New Library Reply with quote

anon-15o6 wrote:
The library is public property paid for by taxes. It is inappropriate to use public facilties for political action groups. The indivisible group is using the public library as a meeting place. The library is looking for more money for a bigger facility with more meeting space. Is this new taxpayer funded space to be used for expanded left wing political groups focused on resistance? The library should not have a political agenda.

"public meeting space" means just that. If one group can use it, than anyone can use it. Its not up to you to censor who may use it or not. Trump isnt Kaiser just yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6