Marijuana discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 3:09 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-2163 wrote:
Quote:
If someone volunteers with people who have issues and he has this experience then it is data. It may not be data you agree with, but it is data from over 20 years of counseling

No, it isn't. It's literally the opposite of data. Using your faulty logic, every person in the world who's friends with a bartender must be an alcoholic. Would you please take a middle school science class before continuing this debate any further? If you don't even know the standard definition of the word data, how can you possibly expect anyone else to support your position?

Again this is not a debate about legalizing. But, should Cranbury have the negative property values and financial consequences that come with allowing someone to sell the recreational drug and being known as a town where marijuana can be bought. I see no benefit to lowering my property value.

Perhaps you should buy a dictionary or maybe you're one of the investors in Breakwater.

factual information (such as measurements or statistics) used as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or calculation.

Fact- Many of the people who my friend volunteers with who had an addiction started with marijuana.

By the definition of the word data, my friend through working with people not just his own experience has collected data around what has led people with addiction to be where they are. There are many other studies with Statistically relevant data that share the same conclusions that those with more sever drug addictions started with marijuana. The issue though in contention is cause and effect. Did the environment in which the people were getting and smoking the marijuana lead to the bigger addiction, would those who smoke it together be more likely to do more sever drugs? There are studies on both sides with no credible answer.

There is also a significant amount of data easily googled on the effect relating to student grades and performance of those on the drug compared to those who are not.
anon-0421

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 3:52 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

I dont think that it on the outskirts of town will make a difference. Property values are not going to go down. Buyrite is in cranbury and my property value has not went down from having a liquor store in Cranbury. Either way - once they legalize it you will be able to smoke it in Cranbury LOL. Even if you can buy it here.

anon-54r5 wrote:
anon-0421 wrote:
I believe you are anonymous also.

And as far as selling in Cranbury - they already do for medical. If it they allow Breakwater to become recreational it would be the same. You would not know who goes in and out to buy it.

I have been to other states where it is legal. There are scarier looking people coming out of the liquor store then the dispensary. I have seen people in suits, older people etc, people that you would not think to be buying pot. Bottom line, if they open Breakwater for recreational it is not going to affect the town. If they do not or the town tries to stop it, thats fine, Hightstown will allow it, or the next town over, and these places will be known to everyone - they will be in strip malls etc. So if you are concerned of Breakwater selling when it becomes legal - you might want to rethink trying to stop them. At least Breakwater is not in a strip mall. As where the other places will be next to the pizza place in Hightstown where it is visible.

So forgive me if I find someone with actual experience to be more credible than an anonymous poster.

The point of this thread is whether Cranbury should allow it's sale and take on all the other issues that go along with its sale from policing, to additional traffic safety issues, to potential drop in property values, etc...

Just like I do not support being an amnesty town in Cranbury and am okay with Hightstown being one if they choose. I am not okay with my property value declining because we're known for allowing recreational sales, but if that is what Hightstown wants to do that is fine.

With medicinal you at least in theory need a medical condition and sign-off. With recreational it is any one that wants it.

There are policing concerns, value concerns and other issues that open up that cost us financially if allowed.

So let the other towns which there are a few of to do it. I'll be on the side of the many towns and Monmouth Freeholders who oppose it.
Anon-p5no

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:08 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

You should get your lawyer friend to explain “Post hoc ergo propter hoc” to you. Or just keep moving the goalposts and claim that this is really about property values or something. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. The only people who even use that term are elderly people who were far too willing to believe everything Nancy Regan told them back in the early 80s.
Anon-p5no

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:16 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

You should get your lawyer friend to explain “Post hoc ergo propter hoc” to you. Or just keep moving the goalposts and claim that this is really about property values or something. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. The only people who even use that term are elderly people who were far too willing to believe everything Nancy Regan told them back in the early 80s.
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:39 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

This is about property values. The TC doesn't decide legalization.

The post that started the thread is whether the TC is discussing this on the agenda Monday night.

The only reason for the TC to discuss is whether the town will allow sales like is being discussed in a bunch of other towns.

I oppose its sale. If you want and support it go to the meeting. But like with the library thread you won't nor will anyone else posting here that supports its sale. Unless it is the facility that stands to make money. Everyone else loses.
anon-p5no

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:48 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-54r5 wrote:

The post that started the thread is whether the TC is discussing this on the agenda Monday night.

The only reason for the TC to discuss is whether the town will allow sales like is being discussed in a bunch of other towns.

I oppose its sale. If you want and support it go to the meeting. But like with the library thread you won't nor will anyone else posting here that supports its sale. Unless it is the facility that stands to make money. Everyone else loses.

Let me be very clear...I will not be attending any meetings because I neither support nor oppose allowing the facility to sell recreational marijuana. I honestly don’t care either way. What I take exception with are your ridiculous logical fallacies regarding “gateway drugs” and assertions about “Well I know a guy who used to do drugs and now he doesn’t so obviously he’s the authority here.” Shut the debate down everyone, anon-54r5 knows some guy!!
anon-54r5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:56 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-p5no wrote:
anon-54r5 wrote:

Let me be very clear...I will not be attending any meetings because I neither support nor oppose allowing the facility to sell recreational marijuana. I honestly don’t care either way. What I take exception with are your ridiculous logical fallacies regarding “gateway drugs” and assertions about “Well I know a guy who used to do drugs and now he doesn’t so obviously he’s the authority here.” Shut the debate down everyone, anon-54r5 knows some guy!!

Maybe you should go back to smoking up.
anon-p5no

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 9 2018, 4:59 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-54r5 wrote:
anon-p5no wrote:
anon-54r5 wrote:

Maybe you should go back to smoking up.

Well by your logic, if I was such a big stoner I’d probably have moved on to crack or heroin by now.
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:44 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

On Monday night the Township Committee will be discussing whether we want to allow recreational sales of marijuana in Cranbury if the state makes it legal.

The current discussion in Trenton is as follows:

- each county would have one facility to allow for recreational sales.
- Medical and recreational would most likely need to be sold in separate facilities.

I have done a lot of research since we allowed the medical facility to open. I've spoken with Assembly members, law enforcement, attorneys, our municipal alliance, and people in Colorado.

This is not an issue of what is our position on legalization, but do we want it sold in Cranbury.

I think this is an important matter for our residents and from the research I have done I am of the view the town will likely be impacted in a materially negative way if it is allowed regardless of where it is allowed.

From stats I was provided and discussion with people dealing with the issues it is clear that for towns like Cranbury there would be both a negative impact to property values and and most likely an increased crime rate (exception is a lack of clarity and proof of violent crime).

There is a lot of misleading data around home sales and that includes comments from some in our legislature. The NY Times even ran an article citing an increase of home values in Colorado, but did not dive into what the impact was in towns with dispensarys or grow houses.

In general Colorado home sales have continued to increase and legalization did not have a negative impact. However, this is at a macro-level. Diving into the statistics the market overall in Colorado had been increasing steadily and according to realtors in Colorado and realtor.com there increase is not from Legalization it was more of a coincidence just as if the market had collapsed at the same time and a drop in prices had occurred. therefore, legalization on a state level is not likely to create a negative home value.

When you start to look into the numbers in towns similar to Cranbury where sales of marijuana were being conducted with a starting base of similar home values (relative to the market), schooling, etc.. we can see declines in property values and sales length. In looking at data towns with grow houses had an 8.4% discount over towns without. Towns with dispensarys had a slightly lower discount, but still had lower values. The decrease did not transcend down to surrounding towns. However, the increased crime rate did extend out.

In terms of Crime a 3 year study in Denver concluded that there was a significant increase in property crime in and around towns with facilities. The good news is there was no hard data supporting the violent crime increase. Though violent crimes did increase it was not at a similar level and thus it was not possible in this study to conclude a connection.

in speaking with people in our legislature there will be one dispensary allowed in each county. That is it. Not all of the buyers are going to be reputable citizens and soccer moms. Your going to have people come in that may create problems for law enforcement who may otherwise had no desire or interest in being in Cranbury. Thus, the increase in property crime as evidenced in Colorado is likely to be exponentially greater in a town like Cranbury since we could be the only dispensary in the county and individuals looking to buy would come here from all over. In essence it becomes an attractive nuisance.

The other issue is the increased in impaired driving. Unlike drunk driving driving, driving under the influence of marijuana is harder to prove. Thus, we can take a drunk driver off the road, but have a harder time proving someone under the influence of marijuana. This has created significant problems for law enforcement in states where it is legal. Since legalizing marijuana Colorado has had an increase in driving fatalities, increase in impaired drivers, and increase in numbers of people driving under the influence of marijuana. Colorado does not test drivers who died or if the blood alcohol content is higher than law. So there is a footnote that the number of drivers impaired is likely under represented. Given we're a walking community and we already dealing with traffic issues (including a number of DUI arrests each month) creating an opportunity for more issues to arise is not something Cranbury police need to handle.

For these reasons I cannot see anyway to support allowing recreational sales in our community whether in the Industrial zone or in the down town. The risk and cost to our residents, property values, community and policing is too great to take this gamble.
anon-7933

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 10 2018, 9:59 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/legalizing-marijuana-gets-housing-prices-high/
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 10 2018, 11:22 am EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

That is a good link. This is somewhat in line with what I heard speaking with people in Colorado, but it also is something that requires reading of the Wisconsin study and understanding how towns are operating. Just taking the high level citation can be misleading. You need to look into the stats and why it is important to read the Wisconsin study which is largely cited by advocates.

As the Wisconsin study indicated, Colorado allows for Municipalities to allowing sales facilities even neighborhoods within Denver have different rules and don't adopt.

From reading, most towns like Cranbury with solid schools, high property values are not adopting the regulations. So this is an important consideration.

Also per the Wisconsin study, "The effects in urban areas are driving the result: the significant housing value increase in urban areas is similar to the 6 percent average effect."

Here is another link:

http://www.westword.com/marijuana/marijuana-dispensaries-linked-to-rising-denver-home-prices-by-university-of-wisconsin-study-9531562

Eckler says home buyers in areas like Bonnie Brae, Lower Highland and West Washington Park still largely prefer to keep their cannabis consumption discreet, and don't necessarily want a dispensary nearby. "Take the five highest-priced neighborhoods in Denver – West Washington Park, Bonnie Brae and so on. If you throw a dispensary in there, you'd have an uproar. In Stapleton, you'd have the same thing if you put one in the town center. People of high income don't want it next to their kids; there's still a stigma attached to it."

"It's kind of a self-fulfilling thing. The neighborhood prices were already rising," Eckler explains, pointing to a supply shortage in Denver real estate as the real cause for the city's rising home prices. "Out of sight and out of mind is a good thing in real estate. In east Stapleton, [a home] is worth less if you can see the jail out there than if you can't. Same thing goes for a dispensary or the rough parts of Colfax."

So it is possible, that legalization in the state could increase Cranbury's property values.

I am sure if you opened a facility in say Camden where housing is cheap and you have new people coming looking for jobs it would likely increase property values. But, remember most jobs are not high paying in this industry just like other industries and rents/home values in Camden are not the same as Cranbury.

Also if the state legalizes may increase property values in the state perhaps even in Cranbury assuming there is no facility in town. People who move to NJ for legal marijuana may want to live in Cranbury, but they also are likely not to want the facility here. Similar to what is occurring in Colorado.

The other important element remains from the Wisconsin report citations in terms of the crime impact:

"Colorado’s Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area
(Wong and Clarke 2015), part of the federal government, compiles data from different sources and provides consistent evidence of the adverse effects. It shows that in 2014, when retail marijuana businesses began operating in Colorado, marijuana-related traffic deaths increased by 32 percent, marijuana-related emergency room visits increased by 29 percent, marijuana related hospitalizations increased by 38 percent, marijuana-related exposure increased by 72 percent, and marijuana-related impaired driving increased by 45 percent, compared to 2013.

Another potential major cost could come from increased illegal activities caused by RMLs that create negative externalities to local residents.

Another possible reason is that RMLs could invite more marijuana trafficking to local communities as criminal groups exploit the retail sale legalization (Drug Enforcement Administration 2013)."
anon-102q

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 10 2018, 1:38 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

This is perfect, considering we only have 2 cops on duty now.
anon-0312

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 10 2018, 2:40 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-102q wrote:
This is perfect, considering we only have 2 cops on duty now.

Don’t worry. The gangs that come in to get their drugs legally and pedal other drugs illegally which has occurred as multiple studies show will take care of the streets. Just need to make sure the cops are in the neighborhoods to protect against the break ins that will arise.

Anyone who honks otherwise just needs to look at Quakerbridge mall. Despite the clean up, West Windsor police make arrests there from gang activity every month. Sometimes multiple times a month. I used to commute with one of their council members and was always shocked at what was occurring there (also didn’t know that was West Windsor).

Look at Washington and Colorado there is a reason that the nice and wealthy towns keep the sales out.
anon-4os8

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:47 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

anon-2163 wrote:
Quote:
I am telling you what my good friend who suffered through a major addiction stated as his experience. And your responses are exactly what gets him annoyed.

You know what gets me annoyed? People who mistake anecdotes for data.

^ This.

Whatever the friends experience, it doesn't trump the aggregate data of millions of people. It sounds like the friend was prone to addiction. His experience statistically is not the norm.

Factually alcohol is more addictive and both alcohol and cigarettes are more lethal.
Indivisible Cranbury-pp98

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:45 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Join us as we support the decriminalization of Marijuana by kneeling or sitting for the pledge of allegiance at the town meeting Monday night. We are calling on our representatives on the town council to join us in in solidarity for this silent protest. Disproportionately people of color, are charged with marijuana crimes hitting black communities the hardest. Meanwhile, police departments that presumably have far more important things to do waste an enormous amount of time and taxpayer money chasing a drug that two states have already legalized and that a majority of Americans believe should be legal everywhere.
anon-sp7s

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:30 pm EST    Post subject: Re: Marijuana discussion Reply with quote

Is it really necessary to sit thru the pledge of allegiance to get your point across about weed? It’s just grandstanding which
annoys and alienates people who would otherwise be either indifferent or in favor. Just articulate your views during the public comment portion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5