So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-po53

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 23 2018, 2:30 pm EST    Post subject: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

Asking for a friend who fell in love with the Main St. of our beautiful little village. Her concern is that her love of it's charm may not translate to a love of the practical issues of living there (traffic, noise, privacy issues, etc.). The family has two small children (both under 4) and a dog.

Can anyone share their opinion/experience with living on Main St.? It will help the family decide whether they should limit their search to a house there, or elsewhere in town.

Thanks so much!
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 23 2018, 2:52 pm EST    Post subject: Re: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

I've lived on Main St and in Shadow Oaks.

Main St. I know more of my neighbors. You're close to one another so you can't help but see each other. Some like us like knowing the surrounding neighbors and other friends we know have not liked it.

On Main St with young kids and a dog we made sure to have a fence. We wanted to minimize the risk of one of them getting out. The cat we never let outside either for fear of being hit. In Shadow Oaks it was an electric fence. The kids at the age of 3 knew not to go near the street. Even in neighborhoods you need to teach this.

Our family loves the walkability of Main St. A quick dinner and then a walk to Gil and Berts or get home from work and a walk to get pizza. There is never a need to get everyone organized and into the car.

Same goes for the caroling at the fire house, Memorial Day parade coming past most homes, and walking to the fireworks avoiding the traffic.

Halloween is great on Main St. as we like the activity, but I know some do not.

You may find it easier to get a large yard in Shadow Oaks than on Main St.

I go to work after school starts so a great benefit for me is walking the kids to school and walking them home. I get 20 minutes to talk with them and hear from them that I don't get at other times.

We never hear the noise from Main St. and the home which is insulated and plaster walls actually has a lower heating bill. The plaster walls help.

In terms of homes the Main St homes are all old so you will need to understand the difference of an old home vs even a 30 year old home in shadow oaks. Plumbing is older and likely galvanized vs pvc. Wiring is likely a mix vs standard romex wires.

All that said, for our family we would not move off Main St and back to Shadow Oaks. We find Main St really offers what we are looking for, but each family is different.
anon-po53

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:02 am EST    Post subject: Re: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful reply!

Would anyone else like to share? Any input or thoughts about your experience would be helpful.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:15 am EST    Post subject: Re: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

anon-po53 wrote:
Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful reply!

Would anyone else like to share? Any input or thoughts about your experience would be helpful.

It really depends on what you're looking for in the town.
anon-88r5

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:29 am EST    Post subject: Re: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

sorry. Hit submit by accident.

I don't think there is a right or wrong.

For example, Plainsboro Rd, Cranbury Neck Rd and Old Trenton are very busy and cars go faster than on Main St.

Those roads impact some homes in developments. I would never live in a Shadow Oaks or Cranbury Green home that backed to Old Trenton. But, I am fine with the interior homes.

In Cranbury Green, Silvers, Estates and Evans you can back on 130 and be closer to the noise of 130 than on Main St. But in homes further away from 130 you're fine. From talking to people, there is an apparent increase in noise from 130 more so in the winter.

If your friend is looking for HGTV move in ready homes than there is probably more of a selection in Cranbury Green as those homes were built in the late 90's.

Shadow Oaks homes have bigger yards than most Main St or Cranbury Green homes, but often they need updated kitchens and baths and you may find prices comparable to Main St and Cranbury Green.

The Estates is a family development with good pricing for Cranbury and young children.

If you want to really take advantage of the village, lake, etc... than Main St., Estates or Cranbury Green is probably where you want to be to avoid driving. There are a number of young families on Main St and Station Rd. Just like there are in the developments.

As the other poster stated, Main St homes are generally closer together so you do get to know your neighbors. This can be great for babysitting if you have good neighbors who like little ones.

A number of Main St homes do have barns and outbuildings in the back which is fun and some do have big back yards (S Main homes backing on the park for example).

My take experience is homes on Main St tend to go fairly quickly compared to other areas unless those homes are priced really well.

On Main St. I prefer S Main as it is more residential and you can still walk to the business area, but you're not subject to the same traffic and parking concerns.
neighbor-o043

PostPosted: Mon, Feb 26 2018, 2:05 pm EST    Post subject: Re: So, What's It Really Like to Live on Main St.? Reply with quote

We did not want a much older, historic home when we moved in many years ago. We narrowed our choice down to Shadow Oaks or Cranbury Greene. The trade-off for us was a larger lawn in Shadow Oaks vs walk to town in CG. We chose CG and enjoy being enough to walk into town for events, eating, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1