Budget Article
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-0n35

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 12 2018, 7:20 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

anon123-2163 wrote:
But the fact that I don't necessarily believe that such a committee is needed or warranted doesn't change the fact that there are obviously people in town that believe it is. (According to the Cranbury Press article, supporters "packed" the room.) And I do believe that it's important to hear them. What I don't understand is why so many are so quick to shout "We don't need that, there are openings on the Shade Tree Commission, get out of here with your dog whistle 'Civil Rights Commission!"

Matt Scott is correct. People hear words like "diversity" and "minority" and immediately assume that this means BLM demonstrations at Heritage Park and it scares the crap out of them. Deny it all you want. This town has a damn committee for everything from trees to tennis camps but nobody loses their mind until someone says the word "Diversity."

I agree they should be heard. And it seems the TC did that when they put them on the agenda. What people are reacting too is not the commission, but the comments made about why the commission is needed.

You should know that Indivisible and others sent out an email pushing for people to attend. I received it and thought are these people in the same town as I am?

It was those who raised the civil rights commission that associated themselves with Black Lives Matter and said the TC was offending this group. It was not resident fear making an association. What BLM cares about and wants is being done in Cranbury with caring police, police who respect residents and community understanding. If I went to a BLM group in the Bronx and showed them Cranbury they would laugh at me and show me examples of real policing issues.

Matt Scott with no understanding of any implication, no real experience as a volunteer in town, or experience being on the TC made it a position of if you are not for this then you are threatened (code word for racist, prejudiced or misogonystic). He then said this was his fellow TC members who he has not yet worked with in any capacity and the residents of our town. How is that helpful? It was as a means to bully their vote and support.

I have known Mr. Taylor for many years and know his family well enough to know his larger family with connections to Cranbury is the amazon.com of diversity (not my place to say what makes it diverse). But Mr. Scott by labeling the TC as being threatened painted Mr. taylor with this comment. I called Mr. taylor to rib him by asking how Thanksgiving would be this year now knowing he's threatened by the diversity of his relatives. Would he lock his doors and hide under the bed? His response was maybe he'd email the article to his family and see if he could save money on food, though he thinks after 40 plus years they will be more likely to laugh at then believe the comment.

Last week was diversity week in school. All I heard was positive comments. This shows that teaching diversity and holding programs does not need a government commission and is well received in Cranbury. In fact, if these individuals want to arrange programs to foster understanding then doing so as a private entity is best.

As a private entity they control the board and officers, they can fund raise, they can decide how many people to invite to the board. The TC would not control them.
anon-05q5

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 13 2018, 8:52 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Victims seeking a crime,
Will find one in time.
Guest78-n6o0

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 13 2018, 9:29 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

I just read the article and the letter to the editor about the civil rights commission in the Cranbury Press. First, my position is this group is looking for a problem where I don’t see one existing in our town. Anyone who wishes to volunteer for any committee will find the township more than willing to accept their names as potential candidates. The blue line is showing respect for our police in a time when police need it the most. Paint it! Any time we can support our police, I’m all for it. As for the letter, nicely written. One question. It mentions all those cities with a civil rights commission. How many towns with a population of 3000 have one? I don’t compare Cranbury to Newark, Paterson, Elizabeth, or to the demographics of Princeton. My very last, and personal comment. My sister and her partner are gay. We had a very fine and close family relationship for about 20 years. All that changed on 11/8/2016. My sister still visits but not her partner. We are the same people we were on 11/7/2016, but her partner is not. The family knows she’s angry and is taking it out on us. In a way this is the the how country has gone and the how this small group is trying to take this town. They see things that just aren’t there.
anon-8n69

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 14 2018, 10:06 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

In looking at the letter which was well written there are no examples of a need in Cranbury. They do make a point for larger cities.

As the prior poster cited the writers cite cities for the most part with vastly different issues than Cranbury. Even Princeton is a far cry from Cranbury in size, demographics and issues. In Princeton the Civil Rights commission was recently asked to get involved with a school discipline issue. They considered it and finally declined. But it created a lot of uproar and divisiveness from people on both sides as to where does school end and politics begin.

In looking up the names on the letter none are volunteers in town and all have very limited time in Cranbury. Perhaps they would do well to first engage with the town and community. The library puts on a number of programs and if they are purely interested in programs then working with the library and PTO is perfect and these entities need and want help.

I do get concerned that in the letter they state a role for policy development. That ends up creating issues like Princeton encountered and Princeton also took two years to carefully review the idea of a commission. Will our boards who have a hard time getting volunteers not be able to find and recommend a qualified person if people start feeling race or gender will be a factor? If a white male is appointed and a female also applies will the commission interject on that basis as it does in other areas? Won’t that do more to divide than unite?

The town can not get volunteers. A commission won’t solve that issue. Maybe these writers should canvass their friends to find volunteers. That would be a big help and doesn’t need a commission.
anon-nn27

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 14 2018, 3:14 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Can we just try and be decent people to each other? Maybe say hello when we walk down the street? Stop assuming people are judging you just because you “feel” like an “other.” They aren’t. We are all “other’s.”
We are fellow humans. Treat each other with decency and respect.

As for the blue line thing it was just a way for a few citizens to say “thanks. We appreciate the fact that we do have police officers in cranbury who care about the town and the people who live here- regardless of race, creed, color, or sexual orientation.”
Cranbury is a town of inclusion. It’s actually pretty evident by the way cops are super approachable.Any given day I can walk into Teddys,stroll downtown, stay after the school crossing etc.. to have a conversation with them on a personal level. You find another town or city where there is this level of community policing. In this town we are our cops and they are us.

Put the blue line back on Main Street. Put a red line also for firefighters. . Put a rainbow flag at town hall. It’s all irrelevant. Just be decent to your neighbor.
anon-1718

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 14 2018, 3:23 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Well said. We moved to Cranbury because we went to Gil and averts and everyone said hello. I ended up asking someone if everyone is really this friendly and the response was yes, that’s what is great about Cranbury.

We’ve been here just over 10 years. My kids have friends of all races and genders, so do we. This is the first time I ever saw a divide.

Maybe there is no divide, but people bringing bagga with them. My wife was married prior and the first year of our marriage she said one night to me. Sorry, I know you’re not doing anything it is just sometimes hard to let go the experience prior. So I get it, but maybe let outside experiences go when you get back home into Cranbury
anon-86s5

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15 2018, 8:08 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

My wife told me the group is trying to approach other entities in town to push for a commission and in so doing creating a bit of divide now in other groups. Wouldn’t this effort be better spent recruiting volunteers, working with the library to do programs, and offering support to the PTO? Why must it be support us for this commission. If this is not some resume builder or broader initiative to set policy instead of the TC then working with these groups for education purposes would seem to suit everyone’s desires and these groups have money and contacts to do the programs.
anon-8554

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:41 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Also, from what I am hearing Matt Scott in addition to his comments about his fellow TC members and residents is campaigning not only for support, but raising how he is fighting the good fight and is part of getting things stirred up.

Why is it that every so often we get TC members who go after special interests and national politics at the detriment to the town. Could we not have people like we have experienced the past 5-10 years who simply focus on Cranbury?

It’s not like our choices to replace Mr. Cook even give us solid options either so it is not just Matt which is why I worry about this issue. Mr. Wittman was part of the ballfield decision process and our spending was much higher when he was part of the Stout, Stannard, Stave TC. and Ms. Witt didn’t beat Matt and didn’t offer anything about how she would have been better.

Mr Ferrante who is soon to be on the TC is another indivisible member. Having spoken at a park gathering I attended last year for the group when I didn’t know what they were.
anon-8ps5

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15 2018, 2:07 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Let's get Ms. Witt on the Cranbury Historic Preservation Commission
anon-nn27

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15 2018, 6:34 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Was the last post an attempt at sarcasm?
anon-120r

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15 2018, 10:28 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

anon-8ps5 wrote:
Let's get Ms. Witt on the Cranbury Historic Preservation Commission

LOL

Miss the water tower
anon-s6p5

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16 2018, 5:32 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Folks, look up indivisible Cranbury on Facebook. The members are all private, but you see their posts.

All of the events are about protests, trump, protests for sanctuary cities speakers from Hightstown on immigration,, etc... it als states they have monthly meetings at St Davids (may risk that churches tax status) so it is no wonder they have 60 people show up. It is their group, not representative of what Cranbury residents really want. It also states on one item Our Candidate Matt Scott so clearly he's by their own admission part of the group.

This group is just focused on national issues and wanting to bring problems here.
anon-8691

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16 2018, 7:49 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Demographics are changing. Cranbury is becoming more diverse. New development in town... From what I hear, units are selling and it is not Caucasians buying them. Town is less than 70 percent white.

You can either have a commission addressing diversity and the township can work with them and have some oversight, or you can wait until the is an issue in town that would benefit from input of a commission like this.
anon-833r

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16 2018, 8:48 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

Why are you assuming there will be an issue? Why create a solution to solve a problem that even you admit does not exist today.

Cranbury has been diverse and always welcoming. That is what is annoying people. This group is creating issues and putting some fear and bias out here that does not exist. I live in a Cranbury Greene and news flash we have many great neighbors who are not Caucasian and we get along great.
anon-120r

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16 2018, 8:51 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

When you don't see as problem, does it mean it does not exist?
anon-833r

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 16 2018, 9:53 am EDT    Post subject: Re: Budget Article Reply with quote

anon-120r wrote:
When you don't see as problem, does it mean it does not exist?

When most people do not see a problem I would say the problem does not exist. To the level that the town needs to be torn apart or have people focus on what makes us different based on what we look like, orientation or gender.

When people advocating for a solution cannot show a problem other than being offended that the town supports our police. Then I do not see an issue except an individual one.

When a person bases an issue on a percentage stating we have less women volunteering then men; then is shown that not only does the town not turn volunteers away, but needs them and many positions go unfilled I do not see a problem of Civil Rights.

When that same person then does not bother to research the role women play and ignores the executive roles women have in every facet of the town; I do not see a town problem but a problem of a person projecting and using false data or fake news.

When the people in charge of this initiative are saying it is more for the future as their letter states, then I do not see a problem in the town.

Instead I would say it is easy to find problems when you are looking for it or are projecting your feelings and views. Certainly outside of Cranbury these individuals may encounter real serious issues, but is it a Cranbury issue? Yes in so far as supporting them to say hello and welcome. But, no in so far as to develop a role where every action the town makes is subject to being questioned based on a persons race, gender or identity. They are projecting their outside experience onto Cranbury.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30