First Aid Squad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon-09no

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:06 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

The reality is that while we have to respect the history, dedication, and tradition of the volunteers there have been numerous incidents where it has taken far to long for ambulance to show up. It is time for the township to step in and ensure that there is a 24-7 365 EMS Ambulance in service,staffed with appropriately trained personnel, waiting to respond all the time. The existing volunteers should be included into the mix - but the township commitee must do the right thing and take appropriate measures to ensure that all the residents are being served with the best standard of EMS care. Additionally with all of the concern that we have about traffic safety we must recognize that EMS plays a very important role. When all else has failed and the unthinkable has happened, someone(a child?) is injured, the township has a moral and ethical obligation to ensure there is a staffed professional EMS Ambulance with personnel directly accountable to the township are in service responding immediately.

The township commitee must listen to the concerns of residents, some of whom are experts.(physicians, paramedics, and healthcare providers). Others have been directly effected by having to wait far too long for an ambulance to show up when a loved one or they themselves is suffering or even potentially dying.

It is no longer acceptable for the township committee to ignore this problem.
anon-p2n8

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 6:28 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-np17 wrote:
A reliable paid ems service will pay for itself and generate revenue for the Township. Simply look at Monroe or South Brunswick.

It’s beginning to feel like some people won’t be happy until they’ve turned Cranbury into South Brunswick or Monroe.
anon-09no

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 6:49 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

The last post is a weak(and silly)misdirect. When a resident calls 911 because their child, parent, etc is critically ill(dying) it reasonable to expect that an ambulance will respond in a timely manner with trained professionals. To suggest otherwise is just idiotic.
anon-p2n8

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 7:35 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-09no wrote:
The last post is a weak(and silly)misdirect. When a resident calls 911 because their child, parent, etc is critically ill(dying) it reasonable to expect that an ambulance will respond in a timely manner with trained professionals. To suggest otherwise is just idiotic.

Stop with the straw man argument. Please explain how a 911 dispatcher’s mistake can reflect on Cranbury’s first aid squad. You could have 12 paid squads, if the call goes to East Windsor none of them are showing up.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:07 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-p2n8 wrote:
anon-09no wrote:

Stop with the straw man argument. Please explain how a 911 dispatcher’s mistake can reflect on Cranbury’s first aid squad. You could have 12 paid squads, if the call goes to East Windsor none of them are showing up.

We know it was the 911 dispatcher at fault? Is that a fact? Twice? In the case of the mom with the heart attack and the baby with the seizure. Was that established @ the TC meeting Monday?

If that is the case, how can that be fixed?

If that is not true, then what?
anon-p2n8

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:12 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-s316 wrote:
anon-p2n8 wrote:
anon-09no wrote:

We know it was the 911 dispatcher at fault? Is that a fact? Twice? In the case of the mom with the heart attack and the baby with the seizure. Was that established @ the TC meeting Monday?

If that is the case, how can that be fixed?

If that is not true, then what?

Yes in the case of the heart attack. It was explained in detail at the meeting. Not sure about the baby.

911 dispatchers are under county jurisdiction. The TC has no control.
anon-p2n8

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:29 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

Again, I don’t know the details of the baby, but here is what I do know.

911 is a triage. The dispatcher takes the information and then relays it to the proper organization (police, fire, first aid squad) In the heart attack case, the dispatcher sent the info to the wrong town, East Windsor. That’s why it took so long.

But let’s say for arguments sake that the dispatcher contacted Cranbury and that Cranbury’s squad was tied up at another incident (it happens all the time in South Brunswick, and they have half a dozen rescue squads.) It then is up to the dispatcher to contact the next available squad. Just having a paid squad DOES NOT guarantee that an ambulance will be available at every minute and that’s supposed to be what 911 exists for.

Even if we had a paid squad there is no guarantee. If a box falls on a warehouse worker across town and someone has a heart attack in Shadow Oaks, the dispatchers must make the correct call as to which incident to send Cranbury to and which to send out to a squad in a neighboring area. Location, nature of the injury, etc.
anon-p2n8

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:34 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

Was anybody else at the parade? I counted about 12 ambulances from within a 10 mile radius. Why is everyone acting like one more is all that stands between you, your children and your parents and certain death.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 9:17 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

This is becoming more and more typical of Cranbury.

So this person had an incident 7-8 months ago. Was told at the time that the delay was due to the 9-1-1 Dispatcher. Waits until June and then complains anyway, not only about the response time which was already explained to them, but also stands before the committee and makes the volunteers sound like a bunch of buffoons that can't drive, operate equipment or find the hospital.

That's their thanks for showing up and trying to help save your mother's life?
anon-0n59

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:01 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

Poor fire chief takes to this board several times a year practically begging for volunteers. I’m sure the first aid squad is the same. Never any shortage of complainers though.

Maybe Cranbury could do with a full time squad. But the way people treat those that do volunteer their time for the peace and safety of all residents is disgraceful.
anon-s316

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:44 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

Times have changed.

Many people volunteer their time at other organizations and causes.
People take care of children and maybe their elderly parents.
People commute more, work more hours.
Teenagers work their asses off to get into College. Nowadays a college degree is a minimum standard to be attained to get anywhere in Life it seems. Soon everyone will need to have a masters.It's not like the old anymore when a HS diploma got you into a job.

I think it is absolutely wrong to blame anyone that volunteers who donate their time. We should all appreciate their service.

I also think that shaming people into volunteering will not work and is wrong.

We need to come to grips with the fact that volunteering is down and will likely continue to be down for EMS and Firefighters. And if the services feel they are stretched and can't do it anymore, then alternatives need to be explored.

The TC meeting Monday was to listen to issues and work together to find solutions. Denying issues exist will not help.
anon-2163

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:57 am EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-s316 wrote:
Times have changed.

Teenagers work their asses off to get into College. Nowadays a college degree is a minimum standard to be attained to get anywhere in Life it seems. Soon everyone will need to have a masters.It's not like the old anymore when a HS diploma got you into a job.

I think it is absolutely wrong to blame anyone that volunteers who donate their time. We should all appreciate their service.

We need to come to grips with the fact that volunteering is down and will likely continue to be down for EMS and Firefighters. And if the services feel they are stretched and can't do it anymore, then alternatives need to be explored.

The TC meeting Monday was to listen to issues and work together to find solutions. Denying issues exist will not help.

I agree with you. I do not volunteer for the first aid squad because I am squeamish and would not be able to handle it. Me being at the scene of an accident or a medical emergency would make things worse for all involved.

But I feel terrible for those volunteers who had to sit at the meeting on Monday and had to listen to residents get up and call them a bunch of lazy do-nothings, or worse, like the Farkle Family Rescue Squad. They do a lot more for this town than most, they don't deserve to be insulted by the people they spend countless hours of their own time trying to help.
anon-0n59

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:13 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-2163 wrote:
anon-s316 wrote:
Times have changed.

I agree with you. I do not volunteer for the first aid squad because I am squeamish and would not be able to handle it. Me being at the scene of an accident or a medical emergency would make things worse for all involved.

But I feel terrible for those volunteers who had to sit at the meeting on Monday and had to listen to residents get up and call them a bunch of lazy do-nothings, or worse, like the Farkle Family Rescue Squad. They do a lot more for this town than most, they don't deserve to be insulted by the people they spend countless hours of their own time trying to help.

This is what we do in Cranbury now, if you haven’t noticed. We do not go before the township committee with facts, statistics, data or logic. We go up there with our feelings, we talk about all the ways we’ve been wronged and we demand that someone, usually an unpaid volunteer, be held responsible. We tell sad stories about stolen lawn signs and late EMTs, but we are not interested in hearing that these things are beyond the scope of the committee. Heaven forbid we hold the county responsible for the county’s screw up, or understand that sometimes people say mean things. And if the township committee can’t fix all of our problems, we’ll try to sneak in a candidate who claims he can.

Welcome to New Cranbury.
anon-np17

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:33 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

The numbers and facts are there to support a full time Township ems program. I’m guessing they will have a special session to show the full picture. Because this isn’t about one or two incidents that happened months ago.
anon-0n59

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:42 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

anon-np17 wrote:
The numbers and facts are there to support a full time Township ems program. I’m guessing they will have a special session to show the full picture. Because this isn’t about one or two incidents that happened months ago.

Well then I look forward to the presentation of these numbers and facts, though I’m not sure why those were not presented first and foremost. By leading with anecdotes and hyperbole the only thing that was accomplished was the alienation of the few willing volunteers Cranbury has left.
anon-0n59

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:50 pm EDT    Post subject: Re: First Aid Squad Reply with quote

Though I suppose numbers and facts do not lead to packer meeting rooms and the opportunity for political grandstanding, so I guess I do understand.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7