New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anon;oqs9-0076

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:00 pm EST    Post subject: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

The new proposed fence ordinance restricting front yard fences will be passed at the next Committee meeting. Does anyone know what triggered this? Some folks say there was influence from one of the Zoning Board members spouses, others seem to think it was from a Committee member. Does anyone know what started this change?
If you look at Colonial and Historic towns [including Cranbury] they all have examples of a fair amount of front yard fences of all types. Fences were designed to keep folks inside and outside of the property. They also have beneficial aesthetic value. I would suggest that HPAC have some direct input at the meeting before this is adopted as it seems contrary to accepted to standard practice to prohibit this type of fencing.
anon-5239

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 20 2019, 10:26 pm EST    Post subject: Re: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

Read the latest (Dec 4) HPC meeting minutes, go by the house with the new fence and you'll know why! The fence in question is in your face offensive. The new homeowners did what they wanted and HPC can only say, oh well.
anon-7666

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21 2019, 8:55 am EST    Post subject: Re: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

Read the current ordinance and proposed ordinance. Fences over 3’ already require a variance if along a street.

This ordinance under Documents New Ordinances appears to only clean up the code and make all fences subject to the same rules. I don’t know anyone with a 3’ or lower fence and don’t know what good it would do. I can step over it as could my dog jump it.

Seems the original poster is looking to mislead the public (a first on this site) or has a grudge against the ZB or TC.
anon-0421

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21 2019, 10:20 am EST    Post subject: Re: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

anon-5239 wrote:
Read the latest (Dec 4) HPC meeting minutes, go by the house with the new fence and you'll know why! The fence in question is in your face offensive. The new homeowners did what they wanted and HPC can only say, oh well.

I cant find anything on the new fence. Not sure where it is. I have seen a couple new fences up in Cranbury. Just wondering.
anon-437n

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 21 2019, 10:34 am EST    Post subject: Re: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

I would bet all of the new fences are over 3’ and not subject to this change either.
anon-8325

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:52 pm EST    Post subject: Re: New Fence Ordinance--What were they thinking? Reply with quote

The Committee Members on HPAC do a commendable job of preserving the Historic appearance of the Township. However compliance is dependent on the homeowner applicant having the same regard for Historic Preservation . Currently an applicant presents a plan to HPAC , gets their approval in good faith and then does whatever they want without recourse. So the TC is faced with enforcement issues,and in this case is considering requiring a variance of those who would act in good faith, as a result of those who will not. I propose a Bond to be paid to HPAC or to the Building permit Department by the homeowner, and that Bond only to be returned when the finished project is identical to the plan submitted to the HPAC. This is the new law that should be considered, not having people spend more to obtain a variance than the project costs. Historical preservation and building to the period is expensive , and should not be financially discouraged by adding the cost of a variance to projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [http://cranbury.info] -> News | Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1